Brass tang thingy (horn).

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Brass tang thingy (horn).

Post by what2do »

Well, on newly acquired van (1.6 td), there are a couple of problems with the horn - it don't work!

But first, when I rotate the steering wheel, it makes a grating noise from where the brass ring (backside of steering wheel) rubs on the brass tang (stalk/column thing). Tried the steering wheel off my other van - same thing and does appear that the wheel that grates has less clearance between it and the stalk/column than the one on the 'good' van. It's rubbed so badly, the brass ring has deterioted and worn through in places. Any ideas as to what's causing this? A simple shim looks out if the question due to the plastic tab moulded into the backside of the wheel.

Mitch.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Re: Brass tang thingy (horn).

Post by syncroandy »

The horn ring is a separate part, so can be replaced if damaged. The horn contact on the switch isn't replaceable AFAIK, so if too far gone replace the switch for a good one. Re. position of wheel, assuming the steerings not been modified, if may worth checking its correctly assembled (Bentley 48.2).
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

what2do

Post by what2do »

syncroandy wrote:The horn ring is a separate part, so can be replaced if damaged. The horn contact on the switch isn't replaceable AFAIK, so if too far gone replace the switch for a good one. Re. position of wheel, assuming the steerings not been modified, if may worth checking its correctly assembled (Bentley 48.2).

Pleased to hear that the ring can be replaced. Will need to see if it's cheaper than a preloved wheel off the bay. Steering isn't modified but has probably been tinkered with as seems the norm with a lot of the van in general. Can't be talking about a tenth or two of a millimetre but it just isn't right at the moment, hence, the worn ring.

Thanks.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Ring is 321 419 661 A, last data I have says its still available from VW, for £12.87 plus VAT.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Try a bit of vaseline on the tang and the ring. When I had mine apart, to stop it going off by itself whenever I went round a corner, I cleaned everything up, but when I put it back together it grated as you described. I put a bit of Vaseline on both parts and that cured it.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

what2do

Post by what2do »

Was going to liberally apply Vaseline to the ring in the hope of reducing the friction and rubbing which are causing me grief. Just cleaned the wheel as it had about 25 years of grease build-up on it, yuck. Fingers crossed, will also be checking the assembly. Thanks folks.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

what2d wrote:Was going to liberally apply Vaseline to the ring in the hope of reducing the friction and rubbing which are causing me grief.

I had that. Cream helps though, and it goes after a week or two. :rofl
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

CJH wrote:Try a bit of vaseline on the tang and the ring. When I had mine apart, to stop it going off by itself whenever I went round a corner,k I cleaned everything up, but when I put it back together it grated as you described. I put a bit of Vaseline on both parts and that cured it.

so what you are saying is rub vaseline on your ring to give you the horn :lol:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

syncronized
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by syncronized »

NEVER, repeat NEVER apply "Deep heat" to your ring :shock:
On a more serious note I posted the same question about the steering wheel rubbing a couple of weeks ago. Turns out it was the top bearing on the way out. Its part of the steering lock assembly.
Mark
JX Tin top Syncro camper

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

syncronized wrote:NEVER, repeat NEVER apply "Deep heat" to your ring :shock:

This is exactly what I like about this forum - people are only too happy to share their own experiences so we don't all make the same mistakes. :ok
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

what2do

Post by what2do »

In the same vein, is it ok for me to apply deep heat to a third party's ring? I'm a hands-on guy that likes to get stuck in and assist others.........

Back to the horn not working, I've got 12 volts at the fuse but nowt at the brass tang, suggestions please. Mitch.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

what2d wrote:In the same vein, is it ok for me to apply deep heat to a third party's ring? I'm a hands-on guy that likes to get stuck in and assist others.........

Back to the horn not working, I've got 12 volts at the fuse but nowt at the brass tang, suggestions please. Mitch.

Youre worrying me now mitch when i think of all the times i have been bent over your van and i never took much notice what you were doing behind me :lol:

ok so you need to be methodical and establish which part or parts ( could be multiple faults) are faulty

a good place to start is the ends, you have done that so on to the middle to find out which end to concentrate on or perhaps the fault is in the middle

the horn is fed 12v and tge horn button grounds it

get underneath and pull back the rubber shrouds for the terminals, the horn has one ignition +12v (attached to the fuse)

You need to check its 12v with your multimeter ( connect meter from each wire to body) also check they are clean

Assuming you have 12v replace the+12v wire to the horn with a little vaseline and then with a spare piece of wire connected to the other horn terminal touch the body, if the horn works it will sound

Do that and report back :ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

what2do

Post by what2do »

I'm off out to have a look before it gets too dark. Hadn't thought about looking for 12 v at the horn itself.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Ever heard of a torch?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

what2do

Post by what2do »

Right then, I've got 12 v at the plug beneath the van but when I try to ground it with a separate piece of wire ( to the shiny new bumper bolt head) zilch happens. Have taken the horn off the van and will experiment with a spare battery in the garage. With 2 leads coming off the battery, do put when onto the earthing bolt/ nut on the horn and the other wire into the socket on the horn (got to connectors to choose from within the socket)?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.