Post by syncronized »

Connect the 2 wires from the battery to the 2 terminals in the socket
Mark
JX Tin top Syncro camper

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: Brass tang thingy (horn).

Post by itchyfeet »

what2d wrote:Right then, I've got 12 v at the plug beneath the van but when I try to ground it with a separate piece of wire ( to the shiny new bumper bolt head) zilch happens. Have taken the horn off the van and will experiment with a spare battery in the garage. With 2 leads coming off the battery, do put when onto the earthing bolt/ nut on the horn and the other wire into the socket on the horn (got to connectors to choose from within the socket)?

Eh?

just connect the horn across a battery to see if it works
if not take the horn off the other van and fit it to prove you dont have multiple faults
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

My mistake, I thought that the bolt on the horn was for grounding also. Should be a breeze, especially as I've the other horn on the other van to compare. Off to test to the garage - NOW! Back soon.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

what2do

Post by what2do »

Had to employ the assistance of my other half to hold wires on battery whilst I touched he terminals in the horn. Conclusion - horn is dead!

On my 'good' van, I get 12 v at the brass tang/dash board screw but get 0 v on the problematic van. Am I right in thinking that 12 v goes through the horn but the circuit isn't complete until the horn button is pressed? When the horn is Kaput, the current stops there rather than travels through it to the steering wheel? Correct? Auto electrics are far from obvious to me!

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Yes

You are now an electrial engineer, not much more to it than that
as i say fit tge other horn to prove you dont have two faults
:ok
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

what2do

Post by what2do »

itchyfeet wrote:Yes

You are now an electrial engineer, not much more to it than that
as i say fit tge other horn to prove you dont have two faults
Now is something I definitely can't do with a torch - neighbours may have something to say about it!

Did I mention that the van came with a steering wheel but not a horn button so once I have a new functioning horn, I'll have to take both hands off the wheel to touch the two spade connectors together for it alert some motorist or pedestrian of my imminent arrival!

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

what2do

Post by what2do »

Blooming annoys me that many of my messages are in bold, makes me look angry!

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

what2d wrote:Had to employ the assistance of my other half to hold wires on battery whilst I touched he terminals in the horn. Conclusion - horn is dead!

On my 'good' van, I get 12 v at the brass tang/dash board screw but get 0 v on the problematic van. Am I right in thinking that 12 v goes through the horn but the circuit isn't complete until the horn button is pressed? When the horn is Kaput, the current stops there rather than travels through it to the steering wheel? Correct? Auto electrics are far from obvious to me!

To be exact voltage is also called potential difference ( imagine water pressure in a pipe) it has potential to make a current flow if a circuit is made ( just like water flows when you turn a tap on, higher pressure more water, higher voltage more watts)

If there is no resistance (short circuit) your fuse would blow,
the horn has a resistance to the flow of current (imagine a tap with 1/2 turn on)

the horn switch also has a variable resistance to tge flow of current, very high resistance or very low (tap on or tap off)

So now imagine your horn as the stopcock in your house and the horn button as the bathroom tap, if the stopcock was 1/2 turn on you would still see high pressure at the bathroom tap ( voltage) assuming the bathroom tap is off

but if the stopcock was broken and closed ( high resistance) you would see no pressure at the bathroom tap ( no voltage)

Note with water you need to close a tap to stop water flow with electricity you need to open a switch to stop current
flow

Now imagine with a good stopcock at 1/2 turn you open your bathroom tap you will have flow of water but the pressure measured at the bathroom tap will now be almost zero but the pressure before the stopcock will still be high, same with the horn, once the horn switch is closed tge voltage that size is zero ( because its now connected to body earth) but the voltage before the horn will still be 12v

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

what2do

Post by what2do »

That's the first lecture of the day completed! Will there be an assessment? Swap the horns over lately just to confirm everything.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

I had to have my van mot'd last week and my horn wasn't working but only when the wheel was in the straight ahead position. I checked the horn and it was all ok so removed the steering wheel and saw that the circular brass ring had a 1 inch worn out section at its base.
As the mot was only a few hours away, I repaired it by using some wire. I stripped the insulation from it and formed the strands into a circular shape and flowed some solder over them. Once cool, I carefully tapped it flat with a small hammer and then soldered it to the ends of the brass ring. I put a little white grease over the ring so it moved freely over the brass grounding finger on the steering column.
The van has done about 500 miles so far and all is well.

what2do

Post by what2do »

New Kentish Campers wrote:I had to have my van mot'd last week and my horn wasn't working but only when the wheel was in the straight ahead position. I checked the horn and it was all ok so removed the steering wheel and saw that the circular brass ring had a 1 inch worn out section at its base.
As the mot was only a few hours away, I repaired it by using some wire. I stripped the insulation from it and formed the strands into a circular shape and flowed some solder over them. Once cool, I carefully tapped it flat with a small hammer and then soldered it to the ends of the brass ring. I put a little white grease over the ring so it moved freely over the brass grounding finger on the steering column.
The van has done about 500 miles so far and all is well.

Nowt like a bit of pressure to get things moving! I wonder why yours was worn also? Perhaps previous owners have undone the steering to replace the proxy ignition switch and then reassembled things a fraction of a millimetre incorrectly? Will have the steering wheel off later and see, regardless, I'll be applying some Vaseline to the ring (no puns, not funny second time around), as I can't afford for the brass tang to be worn further than it is already.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

what2d wrote:That's the first lecture of the day completed! Will there be an assessment? Swap the horns over lately just to confirm everything.

Its ok no need to say thanks for helping you fix your horn and trying to help you understand electrics :roll:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

what2do

Post by what2do »

itchyfeet wrote:
what2d wrote:That's the first lecture of the day completed! Will there be an assessment? Swap the horns over lately just to confirm everything.

Its ok no need to say thanks for helping you fix your horn and trying to help you understand electrics :roll:

Haha, how on earth did you manage to misunderstand my message for anything other than gratitude?!? The term 'lecture' doesn't have to be seen as a condescension. I genuinely appreciated your input.

Now now dear.

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

What2d - time you got one of these being as yours is defunct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ueJOW9tpJk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About £15-ish on ebay

Needs a relay but great sound. My lad has his own horn with a big red button on the passenger side for when he spots other campers. :D He thinks its ace.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

what2d wrote:
itchyfeet wrote:

Haha, how on earth did you manage to misunderstand my message for anything other than gratitude?!? The term 'lecture' doesn't have to be seen as a condescension. I genuinely appreciated your input.

Now now dear.

Haha, how on earth did you manage to misunderstand my message for anything other than my sarcastic sence of humour :lol:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks