Double Battery Charging

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

isaune
80-90 Mem No: 0

Double Battery Charging

Post by isaune »

Sorry for the rather clunky subject line but it was the best I could think of.

Basically, my question is how should I connect my charger to the two batteries in the back of my van which are joined together and used to power up the diesel heater?

It looks like one terminal on one battery is connected to one terminal on the other battery whilst the other two terminals (one on each battery) are attached to the heater.

I just want to know on which terminals should my charger's crocodile clips attach to so that both batteries get charged.

Or is this not possible and I have to charge them separately?

Thanks chaps

Ian

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Re: Double Battery Charging

Post by CJH »

isaune wrote: It looks like one terminal on one battery is connected to one terminal on the other battery whilst the other two terminals (one on each battery) are attached to the heater.

Are those the only connections to those batteries? If that's correct, then it sounds like your batteries are connected in series*, which means one of two things:
1) The batteries are both 6V, so connecting them in series makes 12V for the heater, or
2) The batteries are both 12V, meaning your heater is using 24V. No idea if there are 24V heaters out there - others will know.

If your charger is 12V then the question can't be answered until you confirm the battery voltages.

* It's possible that they're connected in parallel, e.g. if the cable that joins the batteries is on the negative terminal of both, AND the batteries are also earthed to the chassis, AND the cables to the heater both connect to the heater's positive terminal AND the heater has a separate earth. Can you check which terminals are connected, and perhaps measure the battery voltages?
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

And if you are not sure what you are doing, be very careful ;) Exploding batteries are not summat you ever want to be near :twisted: 99% of batteries will say on them somewhere whether they are 6 volt or 12 volt (or you could use your multimeter).

I believe you can get 24 volt Diesel heaters as they are often fitted to lorries.

Charging 24 volt systems from 12 volt van electrics is not common or garden, but it can be done. Best wait for your answers though before going into that ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

If you are running a 24v heater - what model and make is it as there could be 2 easy ways of dealing with charging/running heater. (I convert 24v heaters for use on 12v)
Need to know..... Heater running voltage
.....................Model
.....................Make
.....................How batteries are joined at present
.....................Voltage of each battery.

I won't go any further until the basic facts are known
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

isaune

Post by isaune »

ok - thanks all - i will come back with answers this evening

isaune

Post by isaune »

Here are some answers.

The batteries are both 85AH leisure batteries.

They are connected to each other via the positive terminal on one and the negative terminal on the other.

The spare negative terminal has a brown wire heading towards the heater.

The spare positive terminal has 2 red wires heading towards the heater.

I can't actually see the make of the heater but it is kind of cylindrical, black in colour with 3 backward ticks on the top by way of logo.

I would have found our more but it just started pouring!!

Btw, the heater appears to be in good working order. Also, the previous owner said he seldom used it but often used the 2 batteries as a back up for the main leisure battery. This latter point seems quite handy, hence my desire to keep them topped up.

In other words, it's less about the heater itself. It's more about how to connect my charger crocodiles to the two batteries.

Cheers chaps

Ian

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Ian, you have missed out the all important fact. Are the batteries 6 volt or 12 volt ?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

ghost123uk wrote:Ian, you have missed out the all important fact. Are the batteries 6 volt or 12 volt ?

Do 85Ah 6v leisure batteries exist...?

It does sound very much as if somebody's got hold of a 24v Weberspachasto from a truck.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

isaune

Post by isaune »

Yep I did look on the batteries for a voltage and it wasn't immediately obvious.

I didn't want to take them out completely.

I am pretty certain Adrian is right. They are both 12 volt batteries connected positive on one to negative on the other.

Everything working fine and, as I say, the heater is not really the point.

All I want to know us do I have to charge each battery separately or can I do both at the same time with my 12 volt charger?

Thanks

Ian

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

With a 12 volt charger....you are going to have to disconnect and charge them separately......
Otherwise you will need a 24 volt charger (charging in situe)
This setup has obviously been installed just to power the night heater...

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Oldiebut goodie

The heater is the point because there is a simple and very cheap solution to running some 24v ones from 12v - knowing which heater you have could possibly mean that you do not need 24v battery power and can just run them as normal 12v supply.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Then you could wire these 2 existing leisure batteries in parallel to get twice the amp hour capacity and a simpler charging arrangement = win win :)

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Am I right is assuming that Oldiebut goodie is talking about some sort of invertor that will bump up 12 volts to 24...but it depends on the amp draw of this particular heater as to whether it is a cheap option or not.

This way you free up the batteries to be reverted back to 12 volts which allows them to be charged from a 12 volt charger or traditional split charge relay from the vehicles alternator making the system much more versatile.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Oldiebut goodie

10 Amp step up to be had for less than £4.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

isaune

Post by isaune »

California Dreamin wrote:With a 12 volt charger....you are going to have to disconnect and charge them separately......
Otherwise you will need a 24 volt charger (charging in situe)
This setup has obviously been installed just to power the night heater...

Martin

Thanks to everyone.

Martin - I think the above is dead right and answers my question.

Oldie, Ghost - I don't really want to disturb the heater (which is working great) or the two batteries which are conveniently located and which, if kept topped up, make for a handy back up to the main leisure battery.

It's a shame I need to disconnect and charge them individually but at least I now know that I do.

Cheers chaps

Ian