Speedo clock snapping cable.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

skye
80-90 Mem No: 12795

Speedo clock snapping cable.

Post by skye »

Having had a new speedo cable to replace the previous broken one but again it has snapped. Taking it back to the garage, they have found that the spindle on the rear seizes after a few turns by hand. The mechanic has advised me to seek out a new/second hand dash header. :?

Do I need a whole new clocks dash unit or can a speedo clock be sought and replaced independently? If so where can I source one from. I have looked on the Brickwerks and Justkampers sites but they only stock cables, and had no luck on ebay.

With a replacement speedo is it possible to set the mileage to the true mileage on my old speedo?

Many thanks.
Holdsworth Villa 3 High Top
1.6TD

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Speedo clock snapping cable.

Post by R0B »

I find it very hard to believe the speedo drive could snap the cable.Has your speedo been working upto when the cable snapped.nw_vw_T25 should have have a S/H unit, he should have an ad in the for sale section with his details.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Re altering the mileage. Yes you can strip a speedo to set the odometer to whatever you want, but it is a fiddly and delicate job. Be extra careful (if doing this) of the tiny coiled hair spring under the centre of the actual needle. It does not need to come off or owt, but is easily damaged by careless handling of the speedo head (ask me how I know :roll: ) Also, when removing the needle, before doing so, gently ease it over it's little stop peg and make a note of where it naturally "settles". There is a tiny white mark on the dial to assist with this. It is important when putting the needle back on to line it up where it "settled" and then, again, ease it back so it is resting on it's stop pin. This is all to make sure it reads the correct speed after you have put the whole thing back together. (guess how I know this needs careful attention :roll: )
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

skye
80-90 Mem No: 12795

Post by skye »

Rob,

The replaced cable lasted a week before its snapped and I can only go on what the mechanic has told me. The previous speedo cable to that had been in since I've had the van albeit with a jittery needle! Thanks for the info re a possible unit

ghost,

you seem to have had a very frustrating in depth experience regarding taking the speedo apart so your experience is duly noted! Sounds likes its a job for a wet day indoors! :|

As a matter of interest is a faulty speedo a concern for the MOT?
Holdsworth Villa 3 High Top
1.6TD

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

skye wrote:As a matter of interest is a faulty speedo a concern for the MOT?

This from the 2012 changes to MOT rules at = http://cars.aol.co.uk/2012/01/04/change ... -you-ready" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (etc)

Speedometer

The car will fail if a speedometer is not fitted, is incomplete, inoperative, has a dial glass broken/missing or cannot be illuminated.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

If i was a gambling man,i would put all my money on your mechanic being wrong.

I can only go on what the mechanic has told me
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"