12v system not working on hookup (1986 Autosleeper)

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

neal.andrews
80-90 Mem No: 11144

12v system not working on hookup (1986 Autosleeper)

Post by neal.andrews »

Hi there

I own a 1985 T25 Autosleeper and am based in Manchester.

The 12v system works perfectly, with a new 90ah leisure battery and split charging system recently fitted.

My problem is that the 12v lights and water pump immediately turn off when hookup is plugged in, and the red hookup indicator on the control panel no longer lights up.

Also, I have a 2-way RM122 fridge that DID used to work on hookup. (Could someone have modified it to work like a 3-way fridge?)

Therefore, I'm assuming that the leisure battery is not being charged on hookup, but I don't know how to test this.

One last thing, the Propex Blown Air Heater DOES still work when hooked-up.

Am I right in thinking that this could be a transformer issue?

If so, can I don't really understand why plugging in 240v stops the 12v lights and pump working if they work OK before hooking-up.

Finally, can anyone recommend an electrician or engineer who could help?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The leisure engineer I got to look into it was not familiar with the setup just did a standard service.

Cheers

Neal

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Re: 12v system not working on hookup (1986 Autosleeper)

Post by BOXY »

I have a 2-way RM122 fridge that DID used to work on hookup. (Could someone have modified it to work like a 3-way fridge?)

They could have modified it but making a 12v fridge run off mains would have to involve a transformer of some sort, or the addition of the mains element out of a different model fridge. Can you hear anything humming with the main switched on?

Therefore, I'm assuming that the leisure battery is not being charged on hookup, but I don't know how to test this.

Just check the voltage across the battery terminals. if its less than 12.7v it isn't charging.

It sounds like you might have a bit of a DIY electrical system what sort of control panel have you got?
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

neal.andrews wrote: Also, I have a 2-way RM122 fridge that DID used to work on hookup. (Could someone have modified it to work like a 3-way fridge?)

Hi Neal - there was a kit available for the RM122 to convert it to 3-way. See this post. My 1983 van had this from new I think. It needs a mains feed direct to the 240V element in the fridge - probably via a selector switch so you can choose between off/12V/240V.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

neal.andrews

Post by neal.andrews »

Hi Boxy, many thanks.

Yep - I think I may have a bit of a DIY system!

Here's a few pics...
- the control panel above the cooker - a red light normally comes on when hooked up.
- two boxes of tricks, one of which I think is a transformer, but they're both wired up to 240v.
- close-up of the components on the silver box - are they relays?

It's also strange that the heater works on hookup??

control-panel.jpg
power-converters.jpg
relays.jpg

neal.andrews

Post by neal.andrews »

Re: the fridge, I've looked at the back and there is no additional mains elements from what I can see, and certainly not the full kit with thermostat that CJH suggested. But it's defo an RM122 and it did used to work on hookup, as did the lights! :)

On a normal Autosleeper setup, I think 12v only works on the fridge when the engine is running, and the 'ice' switch is flicked on the control panel. Could my system (when working) somehow be using 240v to keep the leisure battery topped up, and therefore run the fridge off off 12v?

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

I think the RM122 draws about 7 amps, you'd need a good charger to keep up with that sort of current demand. What does the "black box" say it can output?

The other bits pictured are relays. This looks like one of them.

http://in.rsdelivers.com/product/idec/r ... 51982.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

neal.andrews

Post by neal.andrews »

Yeah that looks like the fellas. Nice one.

I'll check the details on the black box.