to zig or not to zig?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rallye69
80-90 Mem No: 13152

to zig or not to zig?

Post by rallye69 »

on with the electrics in my van now, i have installed new leisure battery, there was no split charge before or zig unit, just some bell wire previous owner had stuck in !! :?
i have a zig unit - a DCU-3R , is it worth sticking it in or not? , I have some relays & did buy a dent fuse/ switch panel ( the ones you get on boats ) what do other members do ?

does anyone have a manual or instructions for a ZIG DCU- 3R :?:

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Re: to zig or not to zig?

Post by richlaz »

Some people like Zigs and some don't. I bought a CF9 a while ago but not yet fitted. Its basically just an expensive 12v distribution board. Great if you want a posh control panel.

Not sure about the DCU, but my Zig doesn't have a split charge relay. It relies on the user to ensure switches are in the correct position (otherwise you end up with a dead engine battery!) I suppose its possible to install a relay anyway to prevent this.

Found this for a DCU3 (not sure what the R is for?): -

http://www.freewebs.com/12voltsdc/DCU3.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

richlaz wrote:Some people like Zigs and some don't. I bought a CF9... Its basically just an expensive 12v distribution board. Great if you want a posh control panel.

Agreed. Fancy, pricey, a bit over complicated, and a bit difficult to understand what is what (wiring wise).

Personally, and imho of course, I stick with doing it the "manual" way. Just fit switches, fuses and relay(s) as required. Most accessories have their own on/off switches anyway ;) One of those fuse blocks / come distribution blocks LIKE THIS makes wiring up easier and safer. You can get 6 way and 8 way ones of course. (E D I T = just re-read your post and note you already have a similar unit).

The right size wire and the right fuses, in the right places and you will be fine (imho) Plus you will know "what is what" because you fitted it :)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

A big up, for the simple split charge relay when traveling and a hard wired leisure battery charger for hooky.
one switch..
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

ghost123uk wrote:Agreed. Fancy, pricey, a bit over complicated, and a bit difficult to understand what is what (wiring wise).

I agree. Mine came with a CF8. The operation of the switches wasn't intuitive;
- what happens when the mains power switch is on? (It just turned the old school charger on and off);
- what does the on-site/touring switch do? (it links or separates the two batteries, but doesn't give an option to charge the starter battery from the mains hook-up, and being a manual switch it seemed too easy to forget to switch it before driving off).
- the 12V power switch was more obvious, but even that only has the desired effect if everything is powered from the Zig - anything connected directly to the battery would still have the potential to flatten it.

I ended up rewiring my Zig quite extensively, so if I was starting from scratch I'd probably go with a home brew setup instead.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

rallye69

Post by rallye69 »

ok its looking like not to zig, next question is consumer box,? I wa going to stick a small rcbo trip in to cover any mains problems ?

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

After several years of ownership I no longer need hook up.
I can now camp wherever I choose using 12 Volt or gas.
In it's former life it had a hook up, so I have a small Mcb unit which powers two plug sockets, which was more than adequate.
:ok

richlaz

Post by richlaz »

I just have a small "garage consumer unit" with an RCD and 16A MCB to power a socket outlet (and fridge which only draws about 0.4A on mains)

rallye69

Post by rallye69 »

thats what i was thinking of using,

back to the zig, how can you charge leisure battery up though if you are stood still for a couple of days if you dont have a zig ?

richlaz

Post by richlaz »

You could fit a mains>12v battery charger to charge your leisure battery (and engine battery if required) when connected to hook up. I believe "Sterling" is a popular brand charger amongst some users - somebody will be along to confirm :-)

Or just run the engine for a bit to boost your leisure battery (via split charge relay) :D

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

rallye69 wrote:thats what i was thinking of using,

back to the zig, how can you charge leisure battery up though if you are stood still for a couple of days if you dont have a zig ?

on hook up..
kevtherev wrote:........and a hard wired leisure battery charger for hooky.
one switch..

or solar power without it

rallye69

Post by rallye69 »

so whats the point of buying a sterling battery charger when a zig unit does the same thing ?

richlaz

Post by richlaz »

Yes Zig's (most models) have a built in battery charger.

Zig's are generally quite expensive for what they are (just a panel with a couple of switches/LEDs/fuses and a transformer).

Also, there's no split charge relay in a Zig, so if you leave one of the switches (can't remember which one off the top of my head) in the wrong position, you'll be powering your 12v devices from your engine battery (which I'm sure you'll agree... isn't the cleverest thing to do when parked up).

Due to this poor design of the Zig units, this is why some people prefer to make their own electrical systems with a split charge relay, and fit a separate battery charger, such as a Sterling.

It all depends on the individual. If one wants a nice panel which will more or less do everything you need - then a Zig might be the option. Other people like to tailor make a system to suit their own needs :)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

rallye69 wrote:so what's the point of buying a sterling battery charger when a zig unit does the same thing ?

To get a better charger for less (or similar) money.

Don't get too carried away with the name Sterling though ;) There are many other (cheaper) "intelligent" chargers around that can be wired into the hook up mains outlets, or hard wired into them, and also hard wired to the leisure battery. Lidl/Aldi often have some available at special offer prices. I would recommend a 10 Amp one.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

rallye69

Post by rallye69 »

i have a zig DCU-3r , bought cheap, but it seems a but the wiring seems a bit sketchy, also bought one of these

so might use zig unit & this & not use zig panel, then I dont need a relay ... :?: :?: :?: