to zig or not to zig?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

to zig or not to zig?

Post by MattBW »

I've opted for no zig in my interior, just bought a simple hookup with triple socket and built in rcd, a decentish connect snd forget 240v charger (20a) for when connected to mains and an intelligent 12v fuse box. Also have a 140a split relay to replace the rubbish old one.
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach

jamiehamy
80-90 Mem No: 10701

Re: to zig or not to zig?

Post by jamiehamy »

I had similar dilema but fortunately have a friend who worked it out with me. Leisure is connected to starter with a heavy duty voltage relay. Spur comes off to the zig>fuse box.

Zig now switches on the 12v, but have another circuit on fuse box to power things llike the Eber where I don't want the power cut.

He then wired in the 240v hookup to the Zig. Basically, I leave the switch on 'on site' all the time as this allows the zig to charge the leisure if on 240v, but does nothing if switched to Touring and will never discharge the starter battery due to the relay. The leisure charges from the starter independently of the Zig.

A bit of a mish mash, but means I have a functional control board that centrally switches most things off, charges the leisure when hooked up and has the LED battery indicators and no gap in the unit.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

I decided not to bother with a zig, having had experience of trying to get other peoples working over the years.... I have a 12amp intelligent charger hard wired into the hookup, along with a 20amp 240v- 12v power supply , both relay switched so when the hook up is connected and switched on the battery charger charges either main or the leisure battery, and the Power supply switches the feed off from the leisure battery and takes over supplying all the 12v.....the 90amp alternator charges the main battery and the leisure when the engine is running I have a 80amp relay split charge system that is switchable so it's only on when needed, and relay switching to switch everything from the leisure battery to the main battery when driving, so the leisure battery is only being charged, not used, ensuring it fully charged when arriving for camping. I have also just added a 100w dual battery solar panel to top the battery's up for free.
All the control relays and charger, PSU , invertor, solar control and leisure battery is behind and under the drivers seat where the engine battery used to be.( it now lives in the void in front of the tail lights in the engine bay , some 9 ft closer to the starter and alternator) Image
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Post by richlaz »

Looks a good setup Mocki :-)

Shame my swivel bases are welded in - bit of wasted space under the seats :(
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker

isaune
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by isaune »

richlaz wrote:You could fit a mains>12v battery charger to charge your leisure battery (and engine battery if required) when connected to hook up. :D

Hi there - I'm interested in this.

How do you charge more than one battery from the same charger?

Is it simply a case of splitting the red and black wires from the charger into 2? Or even 3?

If that's the case, is the smart charger likely to be smart enough to trickle charge one battery whilst full charging another for example?

I always thought you could only smart charge one battery per charger???

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Post by richlaz »

My apologies, I should have made my post clearer.

They couldn't be charged simultaneously from a standard charger (I don't think so anyway?)

You could possibly either fit a switch for the output of the battery charger, or manually move the charger output cables from one battery to the other.

Multiple output/bank chargers are available, which have two separate 12v outputs, but aren't very common, and are expensive

Realistically though, the alternator charges the engine battery, and that generally doesn't supply "camping appliances", so not much need to charge the engine battery from the mains?
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

I have a switch in the pos line out of the charger that sends the charge to either the leisure or the main battery, although, hardly ever have it switched to the main battery unless it gets a bit low in mid winter with lots of short dark time trips with wipers , lights , heater , rear window ect on
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

paulandchez
80-90 Mem No: 12181

Post by paulandchez »

Mocki that looks great. Any chance you could provide a wiring diagram with details of hardware you bought? Or a link to a previous post that would help?
Cheers
Paul
T25 Westfalia 2.0l Aircooled 1980 in a nice beige colour with a bit of antique steel thrown in

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

paulandchez wrote:Mocki that looks great. Any chance you could provide a wiring diagram with details of hardware you bought? Or a link to a previous post that would help?
Cheers
Paul
Erm, I suppose I could draw a diagram..... But it would prob take as long as it took to physically do the job?
It's basically a draper 12v 12amp intelligent charger, a 20amp stabilised switch mode psu, a 100w solar panel and regulator and a 300w invertor, switched with relays and a couple of manual switches.
I'll have a look at drawing a diagram if I get a spare hour!
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Zigs are a bit poo, and most have a very basic charger inbuilt. As for charging more than one battery..... my set up is;
2 x 80ah leisure batteries
1 x starter battery
1 x sterling 50amp battery to battery charger
1x ctek 25amp mains charger directly wired to the hook up (via rcd)

Basically when driving the sterling takes the charge from the starter battery (recognises when alternator is charging it) and charges the leisures.
If i'm parked up and want to use the hook up, i plug it in. the ctek charger is connected to the starter battery and charges it, the sterling recognises this and charges the leisures.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you