battery advice, gel batteries....

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

battery advice, gel batteries....

Post by lloydy »

Now, ive had this non vw van for a while and decided to look inside this fitted wooden box.. I found among other things 2X 135AH gel batteries :D They were pretty flat, but following some cables i found that there is a mains hook up hidden under the van! And also found a 20Amp charger under the seat :lol: plugged into the mains and they are taking a charge. They are quite big..
H= 32cm
W= 34cm
D= 18cm
So they wont fit in the battery trays. I guess my question is, are they better as a leisure battery than a lead acid? I am quite happy with my current set up (2X80AH sealed lead acid) But these Gel ones would give me 270AH... My chargers have a gel setting, so no problem there. Do they have a value 2nd hand? as they are many hundreds of pounds new.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: battery advice, gel batteries....

Post by CovKid »

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles ... s-agm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but to be honest theres so much information already on the net concerning gel batteries, I should think all the answers are already out there. They cost more which is why they are not generally on most peoples radar.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Thanks, have seen that link among others. As per most info internet based you can get strong opinions for both sides. Was hoping someone on here may be using them and give their opinion.
Gotta try and save them yet, up from 5 volts to 12.3 as of just now.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Fingers crossed for you on the batteries. Be cool if they come back to life and are sustainable. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Would be nice, only have a basic manual 20 amp charger charging them up. my fancy intelligent ones are in my van many miles away. :roll:
Would not have to worry about power at all if I can get these working.. Hell they may even just go in the shed to run lights ect

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Well, they've had as full a charge as they can get. Let the batteries settle for a hour and checked the voltage... 13.07, will check them again tomorrow and see if they hold a charge..

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

To test them properly you'll need to put a load on them. I've used a headlight bulb in the past.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

I know what you mean Tom, I checked voltage again before bed and they had settled at 12.97. Just checked now and they are at 12.94, so at least that proves they can hold a charge. I will get a load test done, before I make any decisions on using them. What I have works quite well and is hidden away (leisure battery under each front seat) these new ones would have to go under the bench seat and the rear heater removed..which is a lot of work to change something that works.. But the lure of a extra 110AH is strong :lol:

v-lux
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2951

Post by v-lux »

There's not much difference in the batteries really lloyd.

In my opinion you'd be better off sticking with the batteries you 'know' are good and been looked after.

Any battery that's had a questionable past is the most likely to bite you in the ass when you really need it to perform.

Incidentally, where are your van's batteries currently....? I hope they are being looked after (ie charge appropriately) while your van is inactive.....?

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Cheers for that, I think these gel ones will go in the trailer tent.
As for existing batteries.. The starter one has been charged, leisures... I don't know.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

These have now been sat for a couple months with no charge, have used one of them to start an eber a few times and the voltage is still at 12.7 :D
They are back on charge now and may go in a new purchase....