High-torque starter anyone?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hughzt
80-90 Mem No: 13155

High-torque starter anyone?

Post by hughzt »

Having read several threads about sluggish starting it looks like my van is suffering from the classic symptoms that could be due to aged wiring, tired starter motor or worn bush (or probably all three). Having also viewed the threads about replacing the bush in the bell housing and taken a quick look at my engine bay I've come to the conclusion that replacing the starter and bush involves a high grovel factor. Now I also own a Triumph TR6 and a couple of years ago I replaced its failing starter motor with a new-fangled Japanese high-torque replacement. The benefits are:
1. More powerful so it turns the engine quicker,
2. More efficient so it uses 50% less power (less strain on old wiring and the battery),
3. They're lighter

Fitting one of these permanently engaged motors to the van would also get around the task of replacing the bush as it is not required. There's one on the AES website here http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/p ... tegory/139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has anyone used one of these?

Hi Torque Starter Motor to fit VW Transporter & Caravelle. Spigot diameter 76mm, bolt centres 105mm, gear diameter 25.5mm

Original Starter Weight 7.5kg, Powerlite Starter Weight 3.8kg, Power 1.4kW, 9 Teeth
1986 2.1 petrol Caravelle GL camper conversion
1975 Triumph TR6

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: High-torque starter anyone?

Post by bigherb »

hughzt wrote:
Original Starter Weight 7.5kg, Powerlite Starter Weight 3.8kg, Power 1.4kW, 9 Teeth[/b]

The original petrol starter only draws 0.8 KW, Diesels 1.7 KW and start the vans fine.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Ii think, if I needed a new starter, I would probably buy one of those :ok
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Shame they dont do one for the auto.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

faggie

Post by faggie »

I have one on my van bought from usa as it saved me a fortune on English prices best thing I have fitted to my van , you also sometimes need an adapter for some applications but its only cheap

icosahedron
80-90 Mem No: 8620

Post by icosahedron »

"Approximately twice as powerful and draws about half the amount as an original starter."

That's cheap for Kryptonite! :rofl

Sorry, I wasn't born within the last minute. P=VI, end of story.

hughzt

Post by hughzt »

bigherb wrote:
hughzt wrote:
Original Starter Weight 7.5kg, Powerlite Starter Weight 3.8kg, Power 1.4kW, 9 Teeth[/b]

The original petrol starter only draws 0.8 KW, Diesels 1.7 KW and start the vans fine.

Starter motors are quoted as output power, not input, so 1.4kw is probably about right for double the power of standard motors
1975 Triumph TR6

hughzt

Post by hughzt »

icosahedron wrote:"Approximately twice as powerful and draws about half the amount as an original starter."

That's cheap for Kryptonite! :rofl

Sorry, I wasn't born within the last minute. P=VI, end of story.

Actually starter motors are designed to be cheap and cheerful and as they're only designed to run for a few seconds at a time in normal use, they don't have to be very efficient. Their efficiency can be as low as 25% depending upon the load, so doubling the efficiency may not be as far-fetched as you think. Also based on my experience with this type of motor in my other car, I can tell you these things really do perform much better than standard ones.

Hopefully I'll get one installed soon and I can let you know if it lives up to the manufacturer's claims. :ok
1975 Triumph TR6

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

I had to find a replacement starter for my diesel camper very quickly because mine failed and we were due to leave for our annual holiday that night. My local auto electricians sourced one for me and I was able topick it up later the ame day. It was a brand new starter with no exchange needed. They told me that it was a "modern" starter not like my old one. It's the same size and weight but it spins the engine so much faster than my old one. My van now sounds just like a normal car when I turn the key. It was only about £100 or so.

The manufacturer is a company called Wood Auto and the model number is STR50015 See their website here http://www.woodauto.com/Unit.aspx?Man=B ... 0001317017
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

hughzt

Post by hughzt »

Thanks for the info Neville, that looks like another good alternative for less money. I think I'll check out some of the obvious stuff first before I buy a replacement motor. I've only had the van a few weeks so I've yet to check everything out - e.g. The gearbox earth lead looks a bit corroded.

Nice website btw, I aim to be spending lots of time in the van in Cumbria if all goes to plan!
1975 Triumph TR6

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

Thanks for that, the websites been neglected recently, it was a project that I started many years ago.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

So, what was the result? Did you buy a more modern starter in the end? Just asking as I need a replacement, cheers Mitch.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I've not actually come across one for a T25. Even the one listed on AES site is actually for a T4 Transporter - not a T25. I'd be surprised if its even worth the production run but worth it if you can find one.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

That saved me spending an age looking for one then,
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

These sound ok.Not cheap mind. http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details. ... parent_id=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details. ... parent_id=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Campervanculture are sole importers for gowesty.Will have to be having a word with them.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"