High-torque starter anyone?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: High-torque starter anyone?

Post by itchyfeet »

R0B wrote:These sound ok.Not cheap mind. http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details. ... parent_id=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details. ... parent_id=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Campervanculture are sole importers for gowesty.Will have to be having a word with them.

Link says sold out at the moment
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

hughzt
80-90 Mem No: 13155

Post by hughzt »

what2d wrote:So, what was the result? Did you buy a more modern starter in the end? Just asking as I need a replacement, cheers Mitch.

Sorry for the late reply - I did purchase one of the motors from AES which fits my van. However they didn't have any of the original ones (Powerlite) available and sourced one from another supplier (Luke Motorsport) and it works great every time, spinning the engine really fast so that it starts almost first flick. However there were some problems during the installation:

1. The power connection on the van has a cylinder type ferrule connection that was too long, so I had to replace it with a an ordinary ring type,
2. The mounting collar had to be rotated to avoid having the main power connection just a few mm from the RH drive shaft!!!! :shock:
3. The mounting holes had to be drilled out by an extra 1mm to accommodate the existing bolts.

This may all sound like a fiddle, but compared to removing that dammed bush from the bell housing it was a piece of cake. I stuck my 12mm tap into the bush and wiggled like mad but there was no way it was coming out. It's not needed for the new starter motor but the remains are still in there :(

Anyone want to buy a knackered starter motor with a couple of free unused bushes? :lol:
1986 2.1 petrol Caravelle GL camper conversion
1975 Triumph TR6

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

hughzt wrote:
what2d wrote:So, what was the result? Did you buy a more modern starter in the end? Just asking as I need a replacement, cheers Mitch.

Sorry for the late reply - I did purchase one of the motors from AES which fits my van. However they didn't have any of the original ones (Powerlite) available and sourced one from another supplier (Luke Motorsport) and it works great every time, spinning the engine really fast so that it starts almost first flick. However there were some problems during the installation:

1. The power connection on the van has a cylinder type ferrule connection that was too long, so I had to replace it with a an ordinary ring type,
2. The mounting collar had to be rotated to avoid having the main power connection just a few mm from the RH drive shaft!!!! :shock:
3. The mounting holes had to be drilled out by an extra 1mm to accommodate the existing bolts.

This may all sound like a fiddle, but compared to removing that dammed bush from the bell housing it was a piece of cake. I stuck my 12mm tap into the bush and wiggled like mad but there was no way it was coming out. It's not needed for the new starter motor but the remains are still in there :(

Anyone want to buy a knackered starter motor with a couple of free unused bushes? :lol:

Thanks for the reply. Just for a bit of clarity, could you further explain point 1 please? Cheers.

Looking at cleaning my old one up just because......but wouldn't mind purchasing the same article as yourself because of the improved performance if and when required. Thanks.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

hughzt

Post by hughzt »

Thanks for the reply. Just for a bit of clarity, could you further explain point 1 please? Cheers.

Here's a photo of the connector that I'm referring to. The bolt on the original starter is much longer than the replacement one and this bit is clamped by the nut.
1975 Triumph TR6

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

hughzt wrote:

Here's a photo of the connector that I'm referring to. The bolt on the original starter is much longer than the replacement one and this bit is clamped by the nut.

Am I right in thinking your pic shows a 'ring' crimp connector (which is what's on my van) and was is it not possible to increase the size of the hole - or was the bolt sooo much bigger that this wasn't an option? Just wondering what needs to be done/ordered beforehand. Cheers, Mitch.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

hughzt

Post by hughzt »

Mitch, the bolt on the original starter was about twice as long as the one one the replacement. If you have the same problem you will nee to chop off the connector in my photo and replace it with one of these (my starter came with one, also you'll need a large soldering iron if you want to make a reliable connection)
1975 Triumph TR6

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

The gowesty ones are back in stock.I will hopefully be getting one on the next campervanculture pallet.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I also chopped my ferrule one off and replaced it with a good quality ring connector when I replaced starter cable. In theory the original one makes for a better connection but not noticed any difference on mine, other than a better start with the new cable. You can ofcourse stack copper washers if you really wanted to replicate the concept without soldering etc, but I don't see its that important. A good, clean connection is all thats needed.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.