LED "mood lighting" strip stuff with remote

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

LED "mood lighting" strip stuff with remote

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi all,

Looking for one of those strips of LED's that have a remote control to switch between colours (including WHITE !) I only need a length of around 2 meters and will be attaching it to the roof / side bit above the window that is above the sink & cooker.

Searching Ebay using the search term "LED strip remote" gives 12,500 results :shock: Can anyone shorten my task of finding a suitable one by linking to one they have (as I know lots of folk have these).
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ghost123uk

Re: LED "mood lighting" strip stuff with remote

Post by ghost123uk »

For the benefit of future "searchers" I found and bought THIS ONE on Ebay. 2Mtrs, remote control for £8.40.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Struth John, why do you need the power supply with it? I bough two sets within the last two days (both 5 metres long which you can cut down to whatever), came with remotes and were £8.09 each incl

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RGB-3528-LED- ... 3cd8c2942b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

No power supply with the one I bought Ralph.

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

10 metres + remote & controller = £10.69

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10M-3528-SMD- ... 1c3a174fd0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by BOXY on 17 Feb 2014, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Thats my point really. You don't need the power supply running off 12v although you could use it for some other project I suppose or for home use..
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

the latest issue of vw camper and bus has a very similar article in it doing just what you want
Nil carborundum illegitimi

ScienceBoy
80-90 Mem No: 11736

Post by ScienceBoy »

I bought the white one to run inside the engine bay. It'll beat having to hold a torch. Look forward to seeing how you get on with this rgb set up
1988 Hightop
1.9 DG Petrol

chriscburgess
80-90 Mem No: 4405

Post by chriscburgess »

CovKid wrote:Thats my point really. You don't need the power supply running off 12v although you could use it for some other project I suppose or for home use..

I like this idea!

Although i am confused about not needing a 12v power supply.How will it be wired in?

I was thinking of connecting the leisure battery with a switch and fuse between or is that not th way to do it?

chris
T25 1984 Westfalia pop 1.9DG

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

chriscburgess wrote:
CovKid wrote:Thats my point really. You don't need the power supply running off 12v although you could use it for some other project I suppose or for home use..

I like this idea!

Although i am confused about not needing a 12v power supply.How will it be wired in?

I was thinking of connecting the leisure battery with a switch and fuse between or is that not th way to do it?

chris

It will be powered by the battery voltage, you do not need the, normally, supplied power supply.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

If anyone has any "offcuts" from multi-coloured LED strips that they do not want I might be interested.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Titus A Duxass wrote:
chriscburgess wrote:

I like this idea!

chris

It will be powered by the battery voltage, you do not need the, normally, supplied power supply.

I don't know what all this talk of power supplies is about :roll: :lol:

In that link I posted above it should show that you can buy it without the 240 volt power supply, as I did :wink:

The "controller" ( a little white box ) comes with a small DC style plug with a bit of wire coming from it that you just connect to a 12 volt supply.

Note to anyone else buying similar = The wire from the controller to the strip is very short (~6 inches). This means you are limited as the where you fit the controller. You can get "extension leads" with the correct plugs and sockets fitted. I should have ordered one :roll: But, as wiring / soldering is no stranger to me, I will make my own extension ;)
E D I T = link to extension cable HERE (I have ordered one, at that price not worth messing with solder etc ;))
Last edited by ghost123uk on 19 Feb 2014, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Next "subject" re this ;)

These LEDs are very bright and "in your face" = OK for showing off the inside of your van during the evenings partying, but not so "cool" during sleepy time etc.

Mine will be mounted on a thin pine "baton" I have fitted above the sink and cooker.

Question =
Can anyone think of something I can put in front of the strip to both diffuse the light and also to hide the actual strip ?

I was thinking along the lines of something like a length of semi rigid "U" section see through / semi opaque plastic, about 1 inch across the top of the "U", glued into place. Cannot think of where to get such a thing though :oops:

Suggestions welcomed :ok

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

@John, regarding the clear/opaque u-channel, how about the trim that is slipped onto the bottom edge of plinth strips in kitchens? B&Q, Magnet or others will have what you want. 3m lengths but at least it's cheap.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

£6 for 1.8m at B&Q. Just had a quick look by googling. It has a little lip on it which is supposed to prevent moisture getting under the actual plinth, this comes off really neatly with a sharp stanley. Hope this helps. Mitch.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.