ECU problems and now lpg problem

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gizmiester
80-90 Mem No: 13117

ECU problems and now lpg problem

Post by gizmiester »

help what have i done
hope this is in the right section.I have had an issue with my fuel pump not cutting in hence i cannot start my van on petrol i can only start on lpg on emergency mode been like it for a few weeks drove ,great on gas so
i was going to try and book it in at campershack for lpg service and proper diagnosis of this problem with fuel pump after xmas. Andrew fitted it there about 8 month back and said call in for a check after a few weeks but have had no problems what so ever and never got round to it ,its been fantastic.but 2 weeks off at xmas i couldn't resist having a probe around and now it will not rev when on lpg so i cant get any where now to get it fixed. this is what i did in order
1/ van drives fine on lpg
2/placed jumper between 87&30 on 4 pin relay, pump buzzed van started straight away idled fine on petrol
3/replaced relay tried starting on gas LOUD POP
4/tried again on gas started fine and idled
5/earthed pin 85 of 5 pin relay for 2 seconds pump buzzed (think this was mistake)
6/whent to be thinking what does it all mean
7/whent to use van started fine but wouldnot rev full throttle just 2000/2500 revs 15 mph
8/placed jumper on 87&30 4 pin relay this time it wouldnt start fired started for 2 seconds then died tried several times same result
9/earthed pin85on 5 pin relay this time nothing happend
10/started van on gas drove the same no revs when under load
11/parked it up in garage had a big sulk
my conclusion is im crap.
my question is have i fried something or has the LOUD POP damaged my afm causing van not to start any more and restrict gas to cause no power or something else that effects both fuels
i dont know what to do next except stop probing things
please help
gary
1988/89 2.1i mv lpg sunroof magnum

rich broom
80-90 Mem No: 10870

Re: ECU problems and now lpg problem

Post by rich broom »

Loud pop would have been excessive gas building up and exploded in the inlet
If you have a flap type airflow meter then this would have been damaged.
So a good idea would be inspect this then all other vacuum pipes.
Vcds vag com diagnostics available
Snap on diagnostic available

gizmiester

Post by gizmiester »

thanks for that i have had a brief look at flap in side afm it was closed tried to open it and it was quite stiff to open so i had a fiddle and it now opens with a slight resistance but even i didnt know ho loose or stiff it should bee i shall go and inspect further right now and see how she drives
very much appreciated
thank you
gary

gizmiester

Post by gizmiester »

hi just got back breather was pushed out a little, on elephant trunk hose ,pushed back in . it started easier and was smoother on idle, revs seemed a bit better when stood but still did not rev under load seemed to be in right direction gas wise so i will investigate afm a bit more in depth
would the afm stop it starting on petrol
gary

rich broom
80-90 Mem No: 10870

Post by rich broom »

Normally once the arm has been damaged, it's never right again. Try to find a replacement
Vcds vag com diagnostics available
Snap on diagnostic available

gizmiester

Post by gizmiester »

rich broom wrote:Normally once the arm has been damaged, it's never right again. Try to find a replacement

hi if the arm is damaged on afm would that course it not to start on petrol. if it turns out that i have a duff ecu and a duff afm probably the two most expensive items. would it not be a good idea to fit a MEGASQUIRT KIT .it doesn't use afm and would replace old ecu and most of troublesome wiring in 1 go and being able to plug in and tune sound the nuts. a bit more research needed yet as its all abit over my head , if any body has put magasquirt on one of these vans i would appreciate any comment on what exactly i need to fit to 2.1wbx and what if any improvements were noticed
gary