Aftermarket Electric Windows

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Aftermarket Electric Windows

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

What are people using for aftermarket electric windows? Are they reliable and do they move at a decent speed?

I've had a search and the posts are quite old.

Thanks
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Aftermarket Electric Windows

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I had a set of the generic like these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Falcon-Electric ... dow+winder

They were okay but pretty slow unless the motors were positioned spot-on, I took them out in the end.
There are some original/pattern ones around but they go out at about 160€ per side.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ninja.turtle007

Thanks. I only want to change to electric if they work properly and are reliable.

Any thoughts on these?

http://www.carsparesdirect.com/window-r ... new-p-4388" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I've seen those over here for about 160€, they look like the originals did.
Probably a better bet.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

i've got the cheap ones that titus fitted, not the fastest and struggle to totally close when pushing against the climairs but they still work after more than 3 years, so I'm glad I fitted them and will be fitting a set to the pickup too.
I had to strip and rebuild the drives though as they were assembled too tight due to them replacing the machine screws in the original design with self tappers in the cheap copy as usual with cheap chinese stuff when they rip off a decent design they cheapen it, god knows why, a couple of pence extra for the machine screws and a few seconds extra in the assembly and it's a much better product
Not good enough for Tom's van really

audi0704
80-90 Mem No: 11284

Post by audi0704 »

Hi is there an issue with the position of the drive splines when fitting these kits,sure I read somewhere on here that its not such an easy job due to the splines being on the wrong side of the door card.If this is the case is it not possible to "space" the winder mechanism back into the door thereby moving the splines inside the door card.
I have used one of these kits on an old Corolla a few years ago and found it easy to fit and worked pretty good,wouldn't mind some on the van.
Cheers bob
1.9 petrol watercooled 5 speed manual panel van

ninja.turtle007

Aidan wrote:i've got the cheap ones that titus fitted, not the fastest and struggle to totally close when pushing against the climairs but they still work after more than 3 years, so I'm glad I fitted them and will be fitting a set to the pickup too.
I had to strip and rebuild the drives though as they were assembled too tight due to them replacing the machine screws in the original design with self tappers in the cheap copy as usual with cheap chinese stuff when they rip off a decent design they cheapen it, god knows why, a couple of pence extra for the machine screws and a few seconds extra in the assembly and it's a much better product
Not good enough for Tom's van really

Thanks Aidan. I'm probably going the buy the ones that Titus says looks more OE.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

They fit ok with a slight bulge in the door card, you'd have to look to see it and most people wouldn't notice; I fitted the motor in the same space the original motors go down the bottom of the door rather than where Paul fitted them up top

audi0704

Post by audi0704 »

Thanks Aidan I can live with a slight bulge think i'll give them a go.Cheers bob

audi0704

Post by audi0704 »

Hi quick up-date just finished fitting the universal kit which I bought in December (had to send one faulty motor back for replacement but all working now),only slight niggle I have is passenger window is slow to lift,drops easy but struggles a bit especially at the top,any ideas on a lubricant that may ease it.
Cheers bob

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

i've started looking at these myself, much prefer the look of the factory copies. The ones i am finding though, only seem to have one switch on each side? So, you can't undo the passenger window from the drivers side, or am i missing/not understanding something?
kits like this.. if you look at the pics of the kit, it just seems to have two single switches?
http://www.autoteilemann.de/fensterhebe ... 54050.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you