12v led lights started flickering

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jamesandtheopenroad
80-90 Mem No: 8279

12v led lights started flickering

Post by jamesandtheopenroad »

Howdi. Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the electrics section.

Anyhoo, here's the problem. In the camper I have 3 sets of LED lights running through a Zig unit. They've been grand up to now but this weekend whilst at the Crimbo meet, they started flickering. Not hugely but enough to notice and enough for me to want to sort it. They did it on both the van and leisure batteries. I checked the voltage and couldn't see any noticeable variation.

Can anyone guide me as to what to check first please?
"our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt" Mr W Shakespeare

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: 12v led lights started flickering

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

The Zig is most probably pushing out dc that has a ripple in it. Check it with an analogue voltmeter and you will most probably see it.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

jamesandtheopenroad

Thanks for the reply Oldie. Check it as the light switch end or as it's coming out the Zig? If it is putting out dc, is it fubared?
"our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt" Mr W Shakespeare

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

Oldiebut goodie

It should be dc if they are normal leds, if they are household ones using a transformer the transformer could be dodgy. Check it coming from the Zig or the transformer. You won't see any ripple with a digital multimeter though, it has to be an analogue one. You will see the needle wavering if the dc is fluctuating.
I am presuming you were using hook-up at the time as you say that it was through the Zig.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

jamesandtheopenroad

Right, I didn't post enough info first time.

Household leds from Ikea, tranformer cut off and wired straight into the lights output on the zig. It's a battery only zig - so power comes from either the van or leisure battery.

Hasn't flickered like this before. Flickered whilst on both van or leisure batteries.

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

Oldiebut goodie

Possibly your voltage is too high - what voltage did the transformer put out when it was connected? If it was 12v or less the problem may be that you are putting too high a voltage in.
I have a dodgy sliding door switch on mine which causes mine to flicker when it comes on with the door opening but is perfect when switched on normally. This is just the earthing via the switch that is at fault. Maybe you have a dodgy earth somewhere also. Could also be a dodgy positive connection.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

jamesandtheopenroad

Thanks Oldie. Some thorough investigation is needed I think.

Can't remember aboit the transformer. But would an inline resistor sort it, if it's that?

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Only time I've seen this was when I was using Zig, connected to external mains hook-up and had no leisure battery.
So the 240V-to-12V Zig transformer was the only source of 12V power - the lights then flickered (I assume because the Zig transformer doesn't produce a very 'clean' DC 12V).
Once I added a leisure battery, that was enough to 'clean up' the 12V signal so that there was no flicker.
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Maybe you have a dodgy earth somewhere also. Could also be a dodgy positive connection.
Gets my vote - especially since it was fine previously and started all of a sudden; plus there are three separate strips all doing it.

Are the 3 LED strips all fed on one circuit from the fuse or all connected individually at the fuse so there are three distinct circuits leaving the Zig? If the latter and they're all doing it I'd check the Zig .
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

jamesandtheopenroad

Single wire out of the zig, split to the switches.

Basically, there is one bank of six large led downlighters, one bank of two led downlighters (same size as six) and one bank of five very small led spots.

I think it must be the earth, as I removed the earth wire connection at the battery end and the zig still worked. Will look into it.

Thanks all for the replies

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I bet it's just the cold. LED's start to misbehave when below a certain temperature (which varies from make to make).
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

jamesandtheopenroad

ghost123uk wrote:I bet it's just the cold. LED's start to misbehave when below a certain temperature (which varies from make to make).

Really? Mmm, interesting. It's a lot warmer today. I'll check them when it's dark.

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure