14 pin connector dash panel insert

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: 14 pin connector dash panel insert

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Yep Kennie - I agree that your wiring is 'odd'.
But just checked mine and I have the red/white wire too - gawd only knows where that goes!! So you can ignore that one as being weird.

Do you have a Haynes or Bentley book with wiring diagrams (if not that would be a useful thing to buy) - the lack of the second ground (brown wire) is odd as I think that the PCB is used to 'pass on' the ground signal to another circuit so if it's not there then you might get other odd behaviour.

Looking at Bentley - if the Brown wire that you have is the Pin 5 wire then that goes to ground and you should be OK.
If the brown wire that you have is the Pin 2 wire then that doesn't go directly to ground (it passes on a ground source for the Emergency Flasher switch light and also the Rear Defog (if you have that)) - so if this is the only Brown that you have then you will experience very strange behaviour (as this may eventually find a ground but it will probably be via something else so it won't be a true ground and you'll have strange outcomes on the dash).
I bet there is a random brown wire floating around in the dash not connected to anything - go fishing!

And/or follow that green/yellow wire and find out where it goes - it maybe that someone has replaced your lost Brown ground with this wire for some reason...
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

Bluebell65
80-90 Mem No: 12330

Post by Bluebell65 »

I agree Midlifecrisis. I think you need to trace the green yellow and see where it ends up. That would take care of position 2, 5 and 12. Kennie Pos 1 is def vacant so no wire there. 4 down 10 to go. I have traced some of the wires to so maybe this will help. No 3 Grey blue should go to the bottom connection of the headlight switch (dimmer). No 4 Blue white goes to pos 5 on the fusebox ( no 1 is on the left :wink: caught me out). No 8 Lilac (violet) black on mine goes to a 2 pin connector near fuse box then dissappears into wiring loom above fuse box. ( never to be seen again unless you take the tank off) No 10 Blue black goes to that 2 pin connector into wire loom out at 7 pin connector in engine bay terminal box then to oil switch between pushrods. No 11 is empty on mine so no egr thingy. No 13 Blue wire goes via wire loom under van comes out to right of carb and connects to rear of alternator. ( exciter wire!!). Those are the ones ive traced so far. 10 down 4 to go i hope lol. Re the voltage stabiliser mine is original and has TCA 700Y Germany printed on it. ( you will need strong glasses to see it). If yours is different then it may just have been changed before but as long as you get the right voltage readings im sure its fine. Re the haynes electric diagrams in my experience they are for newer vans wiring and were a big source of confusion to me. Keep us updated :ok
1984 1900DG poptop.

KennieTheCamper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by KennieTheCamper »

:ok

Think I've got this sorted now thanks guys, for some reason the clocks I have don't appear to match the wiring harness, the left over wires appear to be for a rev counter and oxygen sensor so I either just leave them out or get the right clocks to match the harness (That should be fun as they don't do them anymore).

Thanks

Kennie
1983 Volkswagen T25 Hightop Camper

Bluebell65
80-90 Mem No: 12330

Post by Bluebell65 »

Thats great Kennie. Glad you got it sorted. :ok
1984 1900DG poptop.

KennieTheCamper

Post by KennieTheCamper »

Thanks guys couldn't have worked it out without you, I've also got a Haynes Manual on the way sometime this year lol so that should also clarify things for me too.

Cheers guys
1983 Volkswagen T25 Hightop Camper

demir

Post by demir »

@KennieTheCamper, I think you can easily check the voltage regulator with the help of multi meter. You have to check the voltage across the regulator and I think it should be around 12V or 13V. If it is more than that then your voltage regulator is not working.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

demir wrote:@KennieTheCamper, I think you can easily check the voltage regulator with the help of multi meter. You have to check the voltage across the regulator and I think it should be around 12V or 13V. If it is more than that then your voltage regulator is not working.

You think wrong! 10v is the output. Please don't put out erroneous info as that confuses matters.
Anyway this thread is 11 months old! :roll:

......Waits for the spam. :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶