Wipers gone

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

graeme1210
80-90 Mem No: 3483

Wipers gone

Post by graeme1210 »

I'm in the middle of a trip around france and my wipers have stopped working. The heater fan also stopped. Have checked all the fuses and they are fine. I'm at a loss as to what to check now. Luckilly its sunny but heading back home i'm going to need them so any ideas?

It's an 1987 vanagon Us model. Late blade style fuses.

Cheers

Graeme
1987 Vanagon GL 2.1 MV engine code

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: Wipers gone

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

I think both of those run off the same fuse so that would make sense.
They are also both powered by the load reduction relay (sometimes referred to as the 'X' circuit).
It could be that the relay is not working.
I don't have your fuse box layout so can't advise on which relay it is ... ah, just found a link ....

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 29&start=0

Have a look at that - all answers in there for fuse and relay location ... :ok
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

MidLifeCrisis wrote:I think both of those run off the same fuse so that would make sense.
I think that is only true of the earlier vans with bullet style fuses.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

graeme1210

Post by graeme1210 »

All fuses check out ok. I have the later fusebox but same symptoms. No wipers, blowers, window wash. If its the relay how likely am i to find one in semi rural france. I'm near la rochelle at the moment.

Anyone know an equivalent to gsf or similar autofactors?

Ta graeme

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Earth problem maybe? Or lack of it

There are 2 earthing crowns on the inside wall of the A pillar behind the glovebox (rhd) that all the electrics connect to. Maybe that connector has come off or the wire has broken or the surface underneath the crowns needs cleaning back to bare metal?

graeme1210

Post by graeme1210 »

Thanks will check in the morning. As i parked up on a campsite tonight they turned on and then stopped. So i think it sounds like a connection issue... Will see.

graeme1210

Post by graeme1210 »

Thanks for help guys, just got back, weather held out so wipers were not a problem really.

However I did take off and clean up all the earths and nothing happened. Then a few days later they kicked into life - then they seem to stop working if it's hot. It was around 40C in La Rochelle and as we got closer to home they worked ok.

Any suggestions as to why the heat may be knocking the wiper and blower system out? Obviously normally in the uk not a problem, but if this weather does hold it might become an issue.

graeme1210

Re: Wipers gone and more...

Post by graeme1210 »

They've been working fine since we got back from france but last night on the way down to devon for big sunday they stopped working again. Along with the heater fan. We were driving through central london and a lot of stop start so it was running fairly hot - rad fan on a lot in traffic.

Also more alarmingly later while just before Yeovil the headlights stopped working on dipped. All fuses and bulbs ok. AA man had to put a jumper led across the fusebox from the sidelights to the dipped as no power getting through. Switch seems ok so left with a bit of a mysterious fault. Wipers kicked back in later in the trip.

Anyone had anything imilar? got any suggestions of how to trouble shoot and solve it? Also any recomendtions for auto electrician in north devon while we're here or in south east london when we get back?

Cheers Graeme

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Sounds like a similar problem to a few others recently ....... see below info .....

There is a relay that provides power to the wipers/heater blower (X-Load-Reduction Relay - or some such name).
This relay is activated by 12v from the ignition switch (but the same wire also provides power for the headlight switch (for main beam/high beam but not side lights)) - so there is Black/Yellow wire that goes from the Ignition switch to the Headlight switch and then splices off from there to the relay.

I think that this wire is at fault in your system (and is broken/disconnected, therefore not providing power to the x-load-reduction relay or to the headlight switch)

So, if that is problem - the fault is somewhere either at the ignition switch, at the wire between the ignition switch and the headlight switch, or at the headlight switch. The wire is a Black/Yellow striped wire (according to my wiring diagrams) - check that this is making a good connection at the ignition switch and at the headlight switch.
If you yank the top off the gauge console thingy you should be able to see the wire running from the headlight switch to the ignition.
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

graeme1210

Post by graeme1210 »

Great. Thanks will check that, just read that post and its the same symptoms. Not really my forte but will have a look, failing that its off to a local spark who knows it better than me!

Many thanks. Graeme

BenClem
80-90 Mem No: 8412

Post by BenClem »

Hi Graeme,

How did you get on with the repair of your wipers, headlights etc? I seem to have the same problem.

Any help greatly appreciated
Ben

graeme1210

Post by graeme1210 »

Not yet sorted, few other expenses this month have put it on the back burner. The x load circuit seems pretty likely. Hoping to get it sorted soon, good luck. Let me know what sorted yours...

BenClem
80-90 Mem No: 8412

Post by BenClem »

Will do.

CitizenMoon
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by CitizenMoon »

Hi all, just found this thread. I have a similar problem, but in this case it is the wipers and indicators? will check the advice given in the above posts.