Caravan solar panel kits - whats the verdict???

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Re: caravan solar panel kits - whats the verdict???

Post by discipleofsketch »

waltraud wrote:I have used a very small maplin 13w briefcase panel for years. I know this id not much with my 85a leisure battery but ALL my interior lights are led, sterio on occssionally, small dvd player sometimes used evenings. Fridge on gas. Works for several days but then I suppose not much draw. Just put a 50w on the roof cos I fancied playing.

The 13 Watt panel is fine for topping up (e.g. when not in use), but based on some calculations:-

13 Watts x 6 hours of good bright sunlight per day = 78 Watt hours

78 Watt hours/12 volts = 6.5 Ah per day

85Ah/6.5 Ah = 13 days to charge your leisure battery from flat assuming 100% efficiency (which it never will be)

So in a cloudless heatwave, you might be lucky to charge it in just over a couple of weeks from flat, so it really does depend on how much you are drawing from it :)
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

discipleofsketch

oh, above calculations based on info from:-

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co ... lar-power/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't pay enough attention in physics to be able to calculate this stuff off the top of my head!
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

ghost123uk wrote: My findings, with a decent British made (not Chinese carp) 60 Watt panel is that I get around 4 amps absolute max. That is on a day with a full sun, as overhead as poss. If the sun is not directly in line with the panel or obscured in any slight way, the output falls rapidly. On an overcast (but not overly dull) day it drops dramatically, often to as little as 1 tenth of an amp :shock: I have heard lots of willy waving, folks saying their panel still produces X amps even on a cloudy day, but I have yet to see any proof.

John, our van (with a £100 100w panel off eBay and a £17 Kemo M174 smart charger from Maplins) was in a gezebo for 3 winter months while the bodywork was done .... when we went to start it (expecting we would need the jump starter the batteries were both still fully charged. Under trees in dappled sunlight in France first thing in the morning having had 2 iPods, 2 E-lites and 3 phones charging all night on 12v the batteries are fully charged.

I'm not 'willy waving' as you call it :roll: I'm telling you the truth, the same truth T'onion and others have told you .... I can't give you ampages to 12 decimal places Image and if you choose not to believe us then that's fine BUT ask yourself this ... What do I have to gain by lying to you and the other nice members here ?

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

discipleofsketch

Ian Hulley wrote: 2 iPods, 2 E-lites and 3 phones charging all night on 12v the batteries are fully charged.

I'd happily charge those off my starter battery and not expect them to make much of a dent, so a 100 Watt panel even on a bad day should be more than sufficient to top up a leisure battery to keep those running :)

Ideally i'd like a set-up that can keep a 40 watt coolbox running all day every day (our gas fridge is too small!) away from mains hookup

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

The point is John is making a general accustation/statement which is false ... he seems to have a bee in his bonnet about solar panel kits and the truth of the matter is there are several of us who have them installed and they DO work in dull daylight and in dappled sunlight to my certain knowledge AND that of others.

Let's not mislead people who may be reading this and trying to make their minds up.

The question was ...
lowlifedubz wrote:Hi, I'm just interested in peoples opinions on caravan solar panel kits? Have you used one on your van? Are they any good? What sort of things can you power with one (or two or three etc) and for how long? Any recommendations for brands/types etc?
There are some kits on ebay for £60-£70 and I'm just thinking about them as an extra source of power to say charge a phone etc...
Many thanks!

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

My Chinese carp solar panel does what it says on the tin and since swapping the regulator for a duel battery one from Maplins , both my 100amp main and my 110amp leisure have not once let me down. EVEN when 3/4 covered in 6' of snow .

Like OBG has said they don't need direct sunlight to work , well the carp chinese one I have doesn't .. maybe Ghost its your British leyland one or maybe your batteries that are at fault .

Now back on track , weight up the price of a new leisure/main battery and the price of a carp ebay 100w set up (under £100) , the panel will help keep the batteries in good fettle and in good maintenance. False economy really , that and since fitting the panel I have not had to have hook up ( well unless it was free but that just cos I'm a tight Yorkshire gite).
Ok here is what we ran at Easter in Wales .. Eberspacher ( on nearly all the time) , TV , laptop, Ipod , inverter , phone charger , water pump ( for the shower and sink) , lights , radio .all from a 110 leisure and good for 3 days without starting the engine .

verdict ??
get one ,fit it , forget about it :ok
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

waltraud
80-90 Mem No: 5824

Post by waltraud »

I never understand why these matters get so heated at times. There is always the possibility that personal, subjective opinion is just that- based on personal experience, it is not right or wrong. E.g. I like lpg, its cheap, relatively clean and satisfying to know it has less of an environmental impact "apparently". Its jyst my choice and experience.
1983 1.9 Ivory Westy Joker

T'Onion

Post by T'Onion »

discipleofsketch wrote:
Ideally i'd like a set-up that can keep a 40 watt coolbox running all day every day (our gas fridge is too small!) away from mains hookup

You'd have to do the math on what the coolbox would be pulling in amps and then work out what size the panel you could fit could put out ,then combine that with a good leisure battery and theres your answer.
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

discipleofsketch

Hope no-one is taking my responses as heated! I'm very enthusiastic about getting a 100w panel, if I can keep my laptop, cool box and a fan running without hook-up I'll be a very happy camper! Just need to stop spending money on my van for a bit :)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Ian Hulley wrote:The point is John is making a general accusation / statement which is false ... he seems to have a bee in his bonnet about solar panel kits...

Hey, Ian, please, I have NEVER upset anyone on here (well not that I know of) and I certainly ain't making ANY accusations about what other folk report. If I have come over "wrong" then please accept my unreserved apology.

I don't have a bee in my bonnet about this. To be fair this is just a forum conversation where we discuss stuff. All I am saying is that in my personal experience I have not found any I have used to be much good in overcast conditions. I am truly happy that others mileage varies :)

Also, to be fair, when you say "having had 2 iPods, 2 E-lites and 3 phones charging all night on 12v" re-charging those should not barely make a dent in any leisure battery (40 years experience as a professional electronics engineer). I usually have to replenish power taken by a Propex (3 amps when on), a fairly heft stereo system,florescent lights (soon to be swapped for LED on the Hi-Top van ;)), sometimes a 19" TV, sometimes a laptop, etc etc, so even with my good as new 110Ah battery, this does require a fair amount of amps from the panel to put it back to 100%. I find that on an overcast day, this often doesn't work.

In conclusion, as I say, to you folks that get good service from your panels, I am happy for you :) I would even consider upgrading mine if any one wishes to quote a make and model ;)

Once again, sorry if I have ruffled any feathers, I always try to avoid that on any forum and will be a little more considerate in any statements I may make on here in future.

Are we still friends :|

John
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

discipleofsketch

ghost123uk wrote: In conclusion, as I say, to you folks that get good service from your panels, I am happy for you :) I would even consider upgrading mine if any one wishes to quote a make and model ;)

I'd also be interested in hearing about make and model from people with good experiences - plus whether they are mono or poly-crystalline etc. I can feel a purchase coming on!

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

Our's is the same as this ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biard-100W-Wa ... 5784wt_932

with this ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M174-Kemo-Ele ... 632wt_1153

They cost around £117 for both in May last year.

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

T'Onion

Post by T'Onion »

discipleofsketch wrote: I'd also be interested in hearing about make and model from people with good experiences - plus whether they are mono or poly-crystalline etc. I can feel a purchase coming on!

Mines a mono off ebay , looking at them I think if I was doing it now I'd op for a semi flexi one

John , you haven't upset me :ok , I think we (including me) sometimes have a bad or good experience which clouds our judgement and then it becomes 'my way or the highway' advice . I see this a lot on here and t'other internet forums that I frequent :roll: :mrgreen:
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley »

Beat ya, bliddy slacker :pimp
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter

T'Onion

Post by T'Onion »

haha , just looked at the original ebay listing of the one I bought , its 80w not 100w :oops: :rofl

Brand New In Box 80w Photovoltaic Solar Panel now with FREE 10amp Regulator, 310ml Can of Polyflex, Bypass Diode and Cable with MC4 Connectors

Tuv Class Two IEC 612 15

Ideal kit for Barges, Boats, Caravans or Sheds

Specifications:

PV Module with 80W maximum power

Cell: Monocrystalline Silicon Solar Cells: 125mm Square

No. of Cells and connections: 36 series

Application: DC 12V System

Max System Voltage: 715V DC

These panel are all flash tested

Series Fuse Rating: 6A

Power Tolerance: +/- 5%

Surface max load capacity: 60m/x (200kg/sq.m)

Weight (approx): 9 kg

Dimensions: 120cm x 55cm x 3cm

Electrical Specs:

Max Power: 80WP

Open Circuit Voltage (V): 21.88 + 2

Short Circuit Current (A): 4.98 + 0.4

Max. Power voltage (V): 17.64 + 2

Max. Power Current (A): 4.54

Absolute Maximum Rating:

Operating Temperature: -40 to +80 Degrees

Storage Temperature: -40 to +80 Degrees

Temperature coefficients of Isc (%): 0.1/Degree

Temperature coefficients of Voc (%): -0.33/Degree

Temperature coefficients of Pm (%): -0.23/Degree

Temperature coefficients of Im (%): 0.08/Degree

Temperature coefficients of Vm (%): -0.33/Degree

Irradiance: 1,000W/m2

Temperature: 25 Degrees

Comes with FREE internal bypass diode to prevent backfeed to any batteries.

FREE 10amp Regulator/Controller

FREE 310ml Can of Polyflex

FREE Cable with MC4 Connectors (cable 175cm approx), this comes already attached to the back of the solar panels.

hope this helps :ok
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori