80-90 Mem No: 7981

Re: Split relay

Post by macalfie »

Can you squeeze a battery next to the starter battery in the engine bay

littlecharlie
80-90 Mem No: 9351

Post by littlecharlie »

nesty wrote:I use the Intelligent one from Raw components really good bit of kit.

http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/intellig ... ystem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what I've fitted, I'm no electrician but it was easy to install & works great.
T25 Transporter - 1900 petrol - DIY Conversion - German LHD import

jocko
80-90 Mem No: 11124

Post by jocko »

California Dreamin wrote:I know it's not what you want to hear but in my humble opinion that kit is woefully under specified to give you reliable long term leisure battery charging.
That looks like a blue standard fuse (15amps) and the cable looks no heavier than 2mm2 (17.5amp) and although the relay is good quality Hella I bet it's 20 - 30 amp.

I really wouldn't waste your time with this kit, just return it and get a refund, sorry mate but these circuits can surge charge between 30 - 40 amps on a flat leisure battery so you'll spend a fortune on replacing 15 amp fuses everytime you start from a weekend away.

This kit is the same price but everything is rated at least DOUBLE that of the JK kit and supplied with comprehensive fitting instructions.
Note* 2 X 40amp fuses (not 15amps) 100amp relay (not 30amp) if your going to go to the effort of fitting a split charge circuit then fit it once and forget.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Heavy-Dut ... 41731a765d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin

will this one be OK for charging a 110ah leisure battery, cheers?
Tin top C reg van to camper conversion. 1.9 golf tdi conversion.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Yes it will.....

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

littlecharlie
80-90 Mem No: 9351

Post by littlecharlie »

Looks the same relay as the Raw Components one too so defo the one to get. Never had any issues with mine other than one that I caused by being an idiot but that's for another day .....
T25 Transporter - 1900 petrol - DIY Conversion - German LHD import

jocko

Post by jocko »

I have just purchased the Raw Components relay and have a couple of questions.

Does it need to be connected to the alternator, or can it go direct to the van battery terminal?
Will it allow the van battery to drain, if the leisure battery does?
How do you connect the fridge?

I had one of these before (yes I now no it is crap and underrated) but it was an intelligent relay that did not allow the van battery to drain and the fridge connected so it would only be on, when the engine was running.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T4-SPLIT-C ... 20d39f51cf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

California Dreamin

jocko wrote:I have just purchased the Raw Components relay

Raw components don't make relays they sell them, in fact they sell many types so you might want to tell us which one you bought.
Also...Raw components supply a comprehensive wiring diagram with their kits giving you all the info you have just asked for.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

jocko

Post by jocko »

I bought the one you recommended earlier in the thread. The wiring diagram shows it connected to the van battery, but say in should connect to the altenator

jocko

Post by jocko »

And the wiring diagram does not show how the fridge connects, or says anything about if it will drain the van battery.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Again,

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ca ... it_charger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fridge:

http://www.keithandsylvia.co.uk/tech%20 ... charge.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

billybigspud
80-90 Mem No: 9454

Post by billybigspud »

I think split relays should be made a sticky with a link to the wiki. Same questions every couple of days.

California Dreamin

jocko wrote:I bought the one you recommended earlier in the thread. The wiring diagram shows it connected to the van battery, but say in should connect to the altenator

OK...that kit is not SMART, it uses a heavy duty NAGARES 100amp 4 pin relay....in my opinion more reliable and less troublesome than a smart switching relay. However, this type of relay needs a feed taking from the 'BLUE' exciter wire (charge light) on the alternator. Obviously this needs to be done well, so I wouldn't advise using scotch locs or similar 'quick connectors' but use a blue spade and add both the blue wire and additional switch wire to it.

As for the fridge: Obviously I am not privy to the model you have BUT most have a separate relay on the 12 volt side which turns off if the engine isn't running.....it could be wired using the same switch feed (from the blue wire on the alternator) to this second relay which then would switch 'with the main split charge relay' so as to power the fridge only with the engine running...makes sense?
Obviously I have no idea of what wiring is already there but this second relay is just making or breaking a connection from the leisure battery to the fridge in much the same way as the split charge relay is making and breaking a connection between the TWO batteries.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

jocko

Post by jocko »

Cheers for that Martin and CovKid, I am much clearer now. Just one thing to clarify, will this type of relay allow the van battery to drain, if the leisure one does? cheers

California Dreamin

No mate the batteries are disconnected when the engine is turned off.....that's why a relay is fitted, otherwise you would just connect an additional battery in parallel.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

jocko

Post by jocko »

California Dreamin wrote:No mate the batteries are disconnected when the engine is turned off.....that's why a relay is fitted, otherwise you would just connect an additional battery in parallel.

Martin

cheers mate :ok