Oil light gets brighter when engine revs increase, no buzzer

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Licherman
80-90 Mem No: 8429

Oil light gets brighter when engine revs increase, no buzzer

Post by Licherman »

Hi All,

Bit of a strange one here I think! Despite all my research, and I'm sure I haven't read all on here, I still can't find what this problem is. The problem is on a 1990 1.6td Atlantic, new fuel pump, new LDA valve and new turbo, not sure if any of these are relevant though, but might help!

When the engine revs up, the oil light comes on. I have disconnected both oil pressure switches and it still happens, and if they are earthed or touched on another metal surface the oil light comes on constantly. The problem happened once before, but vanished after a few days, but more persistent now. Thankfully no buzzer of doom and absolutely no oil leaks.

If anyone has an idea as to what it could be it would be great to hear, although I don't think it's serious I'm not keen on driving around with false indications in case it ever hides something real,

Thanks,

Licherman
T25 Atlantic Hightop
T25 California Pop Top
1.8GTI Turbo Golf 1998
1.9GTDI Golf 2003

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Oil light gets brighter when engine revs increase, no buzzer

Post by AdrianC »

Licherman wrote:When the engine revs up, the oil light comes on. I have disconnected both oil pressure switches and it still happens, and if they are earthed or touched on another metal surface the oil light comes on constantly.

Is the TD different to the WBX? On the WBX, the high-rev sensor needs to be earthed if disconnected for the light to go out, whilst the low-rev sensor's the "normal" way round.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Licherman
80-90 Mem No: 8429

Re: Oil light gets brighter when engine revs increase, no buzzer

Post by Licherman »

Thanks for that, I'll look into it,

Licherman
T25 Atlantic Hightop
T25 California Pop Top
1.8GTI Turbo Golf 1998
1.9GTDI Golf 2003