Connecting fuse box to Leisure battery

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Zimbok
80-90 Mem No: 3432

Connecting fuse box to Leisure battery

Post by Zimbok »

Hi,

I had a split charge / leisure battery fitted last summer but the fella that did it never connected up the fuse box. I will not be doing it myself God forbid but can anyone tell me where the wiring for the fuse box should be connected to. The split charge was from Raw Components if I remember correctly. They were very helpful by the way.

Q) Is the fuse box (third photo) connected straight to the positive terminal on the leisure battery by way of an appropriate connector? If not where should it be connected to?

Q) The wiring for the fuse box is about about two metres long so I may look to put the fuse box in a cupboard nearby or should it be near to the leisure battery? (longer wire / less power passing through?)

Q) Also I have bought some "2 CORE FLAT TWIN 2.0mm 17.5 AMP" red / black wiring to connect everything up (car stereo/radio, 2 x foot long lcd strip lighting i bought at Busfest, a 12v cigarette type connection for the cooler box to plug in, and a small pump for the basin tap). The red (positive) will go from the appliance to the fuse box (with the appropriate fuse), but where does the black earth go? Would there have been something specific with the split charge set up where all the earth wiring could be connected to (such as the fuse box for all the positive wiring), or should each appliance be earthed to the bodywork e.g. in the second photo the auto electrician rubbed away some paint and earthed part of the split charge set up to the body under the passenger seat? (top of picture to the right - you can just see it).

You will have noted from the questions that I know little about the electrical side of things and will be getting someone to finish the wiring off. But being inquisitive I would like to know where everything should go / how everything works.

Any pointers gratefully received. :)

Cheers.

Membership number 3432

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Connecting fuse box to Leisure battery

Post by AdrianC »

Zimbok wrote:Q) Is the fuse box (third photo) connected straight to the positive terminal on the leisure battery by way of an appropriate connector? If not where should it be connected to?

Assuming this is an additional fusebox for the leisure circuits, then - yes - straight to the leisure battery +ve clamp.

Q) The wiring for the fuse box is about about two metres long so I may look to put the fuse box in a cupboard nearby or should it be near to the leisure battery? (longer wire / less power passing through?)

As near as possible - the cable between the clamp and the fuse box is unfused, so if it chafes through anywhere, you'll get some sparks and entertainment...

but where does the black earth go?

To the bodywork, which is connected to the -ve terminals on both batteries.

should each appliance be earthed to the bodywork

The bodywork provides an excellent return path for current. All the lights, the starter motor, everything else earths through the body.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I have nothing more to add to Adrian's excellent answer other than this =

"What software did you use to add those neat arrows and text to your pictures" ? (looks very professional :))

Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Zimbok

Post by Zimbok »

Many thanks for that Adrian, much appreciated.

LOL Re. "What software did you use to add those neat arrows and text to your pictures"? As simple as double click on photo in "my pictures", choose "extras" on top line, then "open with" and choose "paint". Then when open in Paint, click on the "A" icon - "insert text into the picture". Nothing more complicated than that! :lol:

Cheers both.
Membership number 3432

Zimbok

Post by Zimbok »

Following on from my initial post just another quick query. In the package that all the wiring etc came for the split charge system, there is a what looks line an in-line fuse (needs to be cut as there are no open ends!) Here are some pics.

Where does it need to go? Is it between the positive clamp on the leisure battery and the actual fuse box for the leisure circuits and if so what amp fuse should be used. As mentioned earlier in the post I only want to use the leisure battery for car stereo/radio, 2 x foot long lcd strip lighting, a 12v cigarette type connection for the cooler box to plug in, and a small pump for the basin tap.

Again pointers much appreciated?

Thanks.

Membership number 3432

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Zimbok wrote:Where does it need to go? Is it between the positive clamp on the leisure battery and the actual fuse box for the leisure circuits

That would seem to be the best place for it, but it does look a slightly odd thing. I'm guessing the black housing dismantles, and one end's just tucked in for safe keeping.

and if so what amp fuse should be used.

Add all the individual fuses up, and round it up a bit.

As mentioned earlier in the post I only want to use the leisure battery for car stereo/radio, 2 x foot long lcd strip lighting, a 12v cigarette type connection for the cooler box to plug in, and a small pump for the basin tap.

Have a look at the stereo manufacturer's instructions for what size fuse they want, otherwise go for <licks finger, holds in air> 10A for that. Lighting & pump, 5A each. Ciggy 10A. So 30A total, so whatever the next step up for the main fuse is. That way, you should only ever get that master blow when there's a short before the fusebox. Otherwise, the individual circuit fuses will go.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zimbok

Post by Zimbok »

Cheers Adrian, again much appreciated.
Membership number 3432