Warm starting-starter not turning

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andy409
80-90 Mem No: 8158

Warm starting-starter not turning

Post by andy409 »

Hi
Just replaced the starter motor on my 1988 t25 as I've Been having issues with it not turning at all from time to time. The new starter hasn't fixed the problem. The battery is fine, ht leads are new and the problem seems to happen from a warm start normally (although has happened occasionally from cold). Just wondering if there are any smaller (or cheaper!)common faults to check first before I start looking at replacing more expensive possible causes.
Any ideas or advice very much appreciated,
Cheers
Andy

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Warm starting-starter not turning

Post by CovKid »

Was the bush replaced when new starter was fitted?
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

andy409
80-90 Mem No: 8158

Post by andy409 »

Thanks, and no I didn't replace the bush. From what I'm reading this might be worth looking at and probably not too expensive....

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

The oilite bush which supports the end of the starter armature costs about £2.50 but will require starter motor removal to fit.
Another possibility is the ignition switch (the white nylon electrical switch fastened to the underside of the ignition barrel).
These start 'playing up' and can cause intermittant start...(give the key a wiggle when it does it next). About a tenner from GSF/Brickwerks or EuroCarParts.
Then there is the braided earth wire on the gearbox nose..corrode and cause a high resistance.
Battery terminals.....have to be tight and in A1 condition..goes without saying.
Battery condition....same.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

it is also possible for ignition timing to cause hot starting failure like this if its too far advanced.
but only plausable if you have altererd the timing recently i guess
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper