Split charge relay

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Negativegravity
80-90 Mem No: 10992

Split charge relay

Post by Negativegravity »

Hi guys, my split charge relay has recently bust and now the main battery slowly discharges (theres a rogue drain somewhere in the van) rather than the leisure battery.

Just ordered one of these:

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/images/ ... RCT460.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I right in thinking though, that this dosn't actually charge the leisure battery? Just switches off the connection and prevents the main battery from draining? Thus leaving me to charge THE leisure with mains hookup? Or will it allow charging as I drive along?

What does everyone else use?

Cheers

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: Split charge relay

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

Have a look at this section of the Wiki;

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ca ... it_charger

And inparticular look at the section 'Split Charge 4' - which is similar to what you have purchased.

It will indeed charge your leisure battery by sensing when the starter battery voltage exceeds a set level (which only occurs when the alternator is turning i.e. the engine is running) - when this happens it activates its internal relay and connects your starter battery to your leisure battery - so it will only charge the leisure battery when the engine is running - which is what you want.
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

The Smartcom RCT460 is a Caravan Towing accessory used between car and caravan to disconnect the car from the van when the cars engine isn't running (parked up for a couple of hours for some kip)
Whilst it might be very similar to a split charge relay it's designed to be wired through a 12S towing socket.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=ca ... rrEMfDArEg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At only 30Amp rating it's not what I would fit.....probably be alright for a couple of years but the first time you seriously flatten your leisure battery the initial high current on startup will likely melt this unit.

This is what you want mate.....I know it's a bit overkill but you won't ever have to worry about it overloading.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Split-Charge- ... 337c548385" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Martin
Last edited by California Dreamin on 29 Jan 2013, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
1989 California 2.1MV

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

To save money you can use a Smartcom to operate a larger cheap relay if you have one to hand - cheaper than some of the large 'intelligent' relays on their own. Downside is that there are now two relays that could fail. Swings and roundabouts. Advantage is the Smartcom's switching voltage is easily adjusted whereas it isn't on most of the larger intelligent ones.
The linked one above is the cheapest I've seen for a while - they used to be around the £40 mark.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

BaaaadSlider
80-90 Mem No: 2777
Location: Folkingham, Lincs-where the chocolate factory is :)

Post by BaaaadSlider »

Negativegravity wrote:Hi guys, my split charge relay has recently bust and now the main battery slowly discharges (theres a rogue drain somewhere in the van) rather than the leisure battery.

Just ordered one of these:

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/images/ ... RCT460.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am I right in thinking though, that this dosn't actually charge the leisure battery? Just switches off the connection and prevents the main battery from draining? Thus leaving me to charge THE leisure with mains hookup? Or will it allow charging as I drive along?

What does everyone else use?

Cheers
I have one of those and it seems to work just fine :D
Owner of the Bad Bus 1.9 1989T25 running on LPG
ImageImage

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

I have one too which I use to charge 2x110ah leisure batteries. Never had any problems with it at all. Just so you know there's a small plastic screw which you adjusts the sensitivity of when the relay switches over. Worth spending a bit of time making sure that it's switching over correctly when the engine is started and back again when it stops. I didn't know about this at first and just kept flattening my main battery. Once correctly adjusted though it works great. Also worth noting that there's also an extra output on the back for a fridge etc. I have my stereo wired to this so it runs on the engine battery when driving and the leisure when parked up without any need for manual switching.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

Negativegravity

I see,
Last edited by Negativegravity on 30 Jan 2013, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

Negativegravity

Ah, I see! Thanks California Dreaming. So this relay device I have already DOES charge both batteries whilst driving and then switches off the main when parked? I have no mains hookup so any charging of the leisure needs to be through the alternator but I can't see where this device connects to it?!..

Thanks guys

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

Negativegravity wrote:Ah, I see! Thanks California Dreaming. So this relay device I have already DOES charge both batteries whilst driving and then switches off the main when parked? I have no mains hookup so any charging of the leisure needs to be through the alternator but I can't see where this device connects to it?!..

Thanks guys

Simply connect the live and earth from the starter battery to the relay. Then take a wire out of the back of the relay to the live terminal on the leisure. It's as easy as that and all the connections are labelled.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

Negativegravity

OK! Will do. Thanks for the help

California Dreamin

Hmmm..
30amp relay
27.5 amp wire (according to their recommendation)
15 amp fuse

When we know peak amp draw can (with a flat leisure battery) can easily exceed 35 amps.

But it works....

Let me ask you a question....and make a comparison...if someone said to you that they had got alloy wheels on there van off a Ford Sierra and the tyres were 86 load rating....what would you be saying to that person.
Would it make any difference if they then said that the wheels and tyres have been on there van for the last two years?

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Who are you asking?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

California Dreamin

Obviously not you mate....I know you are an advocate of the belt and braces approach lol.

Just the general mindset worries me sometimes. whilst I'm all for saving money, a few quid more would have the job done right & forgotten.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

BaaaadSlider
80-90 Mem No: 2777
Location: Folkingham, Lincs-where the chocolate factory is :)

Post by BaaaadSlider »

California Dreamin wrote:Hmmm..
30amp relay
27.5 amp wire (according to their recommendation)
15 amp fuse

When we know peak amp draw can (with a flat leisure battery) can easily exceed 35 amps.

But it works....

Let me ask you a question....and make a comparison...if someone said to you that they had got alloy wheels on there van off a . . Sierra and the tyres were 86 load rating....what would you be saying to that person.
Would it make any difference if they then said that the wheels and tyres have been on there van for the last two years?

Martin
All be it i am not in the "know" about these things, but i was given mine by someone i trust to be in the "know" and fitted by someone i know who is in the "know" and its been on for the last 3 years. I have flattened the battery more than once in that time and nothing happened to the unit.
Like i said, i don't know the ins and outs as you quoted above about all the technical stuff, all i know is mine seems to work just fine so i can only comment on that :ok
Owner of the Bad Bus 1.9 1989T25 running on LPG
ImageImage

California Dreamin

Fair enough...it's no biggie anyway, the usual thing that happens is either the relay will burn out so your leisure battery goes flat, or the contacts in the relay weld themselves together, in which case everything appears to be working but now the starter battery potentially can be flattened whilst camping. The first thing you know about it is your van won't start after a few days away.....bump starts not the end of the world if the worst happens.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV