Headlamp problem- wiring diagram please?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

zak
80-90 Mem No: 11553

Headlamp problem- wiring diagram please?

Post by zak »

Hi,

Can anyone give me any pointers, went to drive home tonight and found I have no dipped headlights. I have full mainbeam but only if I hold the switch on "flash". The sidelights are working ok. The van has twin round H4 headlamps. Last time I drove it at night was a 2 hour journey and all was well.

rgds

Les
Last edited by zak on 08 Jan 2013, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

zak

Re: Headlamp problem - Wiring Diagram Please

Post by zak »

Hi,

Can anyone point me to a link to a wiring diagram for my bus please, struggling to fix a headlamp problem. I have the Bentley manual, but as far as I can make out the the diagram for mine is not in there, all seems to be digijet/digifant.
Its a 1987 1.9 Petrol Syncro. I have 12v on the red/yellow (30) at both the rocker switch and the hi/lo/flasher stalk plug, but now have no low or high headlights only side.

In the morning I'll check the castle earths as I hear that is a possible cause

rgds

Les
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Re: Headlamp problem- wiring diagram please?

Post by 1664 »

I don't think the engine type will make any difference to the headlight wiring.

PM'd you anyway......
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

zak

Post by zak »

Cheers 1664, Thanks very much for that.

In one of the diagrams theres a relay numbered 8 (bentley 97.111). If I do have that where would I find it? There are no relays in my fuseboard numbered 8.

rgds

Les
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

The number 8 in the small black box refers to the relay position in the board counting left to right, starting at the top row. So position 8 is second in from the left, bottom row. The actual number on the relay (on my fusebox) is 18.

J59 is what it does (see parts index in my Photobucket album) which is "Relief relay for X contact" which is also known as the "Load reduction relay" in the picture below

This relay disconnects the supply to any van equipment of appreciable load (which the headlights are) whilst the engine is being cranked, so the starter battery can concentrate on starting the van only (as I understand it).
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

zak

Post by zak »

Ah, cheers again 1664 that helps clear up a few things, I've been reading the Bentley at lunchtime today, and its starting to make a bit more sense now. Home early today so just about to go and have another go at the headlights. Think my Rocker switch is suspect now, buzzed it out at work and doesn't seem to be making connection. Will try shorting out at the rocker connection block.

Wish me luck !!

Les
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

davidharvey
80-90 Mem No: 8913

Post by davidharvey »

I had that problem, am sure it was the dip/main switch on the steering column.

zak

Post by zak »

All sorted now thanks for the help

I had that problem, am sure it was the dip/main switch on the steering column.
I went down that route initially but it turned out to be the rocker switch, what threw me was the main flasher was still working, but in hindsight that obviously bypasses the rocker switch. Mine failed after a long journey at night, low beam first, then high beam went as well, but the flasher was always working. I've got twin headlamps so reckon I'll need to look at putting a relay in to take the load off the switch.

rgds

Les
RHD Holdsworth Syncro

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I had the exact symptoms as the OP last night on the m1. It was the headlight switch. Amazingly i had an old one in the cupboard someone gave me years ago. Wired that in and bingo it fixed it. A great hard shoulder fix!!
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

dory
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by dory »

Hi, newbie here.
I have just spent the last three hours on a similar problem. It was the rocker switch in the end. I took it to bits (carefully) and found the contacts for the dip and main beams had got hot and jammed on the spring inside. A bit of cleaning with a stanley knife and all is good. I now have main and dipped beam working fine, however not all good. The passing flash/headlamp flash, doesn't. Any ideas why? 1985 1.9dg thanks. Muz.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Anyone having issues with their headlight rocker switch failing should have a look at the headlight upgrade section of the wiki, (after replacing the switch of course ;))The relay upgrade not only improves the output of the headlights considerably, but also takes all the load off the rocker switch, making it last for ever in future. Kills two birds with one stone ;)

Link all about it HERE - Note, make sure you click on and study the blue links about half way down, entered by California Dreamin, as they show the wiring diagram etc. California Dreamin's diagrams look a bit more complicated because his diagrams are for the 4 headlight model, but it gives you the information you need to do the more common 2 headlight vans. After all, it's only basically a relay, fed from a heavy wire straight from the battery and triggered by the existing wire that used to go to the headlights +ve. Don't forget to beef up the headlight's earths too. A short, heavy, earth wire bolted neatly to bodywork behind the grill is best practice.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here