Live feed to ignition barrel.....

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tomgillson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Live feed to ignition barrel.....

Post by tomgillson »

Firstly, thanks to the wiki I changed my heater blower motor on saturday and it works great!

Problem being that whilst doing that job I disturbed the cabling on the steering column and the RED live feed that goes into the BLACK connector block attached to the bottom of the ignition barrel. I drove home fine from my mates and then went to go out an hour later and it was dead as a dodo, but lights worked. This morning I took the steering column cowling off for a look and poked around and the ignition came back on........then off....then on....identified the offending wire as the red one, it's cable tied on now and works alright, but could cut out at any minute, so not gonna drive it.

Now I have a couple of questions for you good people if you don't mind?

1. Does the BLACK connector on the end of the ignition barrel come off? pry off gently job?
2. Are the BLACK connectors available to buy on their own?

It's a highly frustrating issue to say the least. Guess I really need to know if that connector will detach itself from the bottom of the ignition barrel without breaking itself or something else there's a good chance I can sort it myself, if not get an autoelectrician to come along and sort it....

Thanks all!

Tom

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Live feed to ignition barrel.....

Post by California Dreamin »

1) Yes they just push on but from memory I think they are angled (for security) so the connector won't come off easily.
2) Yes I am sure they are as the ignition switch and therefore the plug itself, was a common fitment across many VW & Audi models circa mid 70's to early 90's.
Note* the ignition switches are a common replacement part, just bare that in mind.....cost under a tenner from GSF/Eurocarparts/Brickwerks...if you have any reason to suspect it then get it changed.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

I will just add...that one or two female terminals in this block connector may have just pushed out....you should be able to use a long terminal screwdriver and just push them back into the connector and properly on to the terminals.
Once on, they won't drop off.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

tomgillson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by tomgillson »

Thanks Martin, I've spoken to Pfeiffers in Brighton where I live this morning and Dave the van man tells me this is an issue that they have come across before and that it's an easy fix, plus they have spare connector blocks if needs be so all good. I didn't want to do my usual thing of hamfistedly breaking things :shock: :shock:

Thanks for the advice!

Tom