Fridge ignition stopped working

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ruby Ruby Ruby
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fridge ignition stopped working

Post by Ruby Ruby Ruby »

Hi,

We are new to this site, only had our T25 1986 Westfalia Club Joker camper for about 6 months. I have looked under search for fridge ignition and have a fridge manual from online, but still not identified the problem.
Our Electrolux fridge was working 3 way and made the clicking sound when switched to gas until the ignition button was pressed and it lit. Then we ran out of LPG (and found information on here - thank you, about adapter for filling the LPG tank). In the meantime, we think we left it set to leisure battery, which may have been a mistake. Now that we have a full LPG tank, the clicking sound is not happening - we don't know if gas is getting to it or not, but it is not clicking and igniting. So, we don't know if this is perhaps to do with a pilot light going out (can't see where one would be) or if the leisure battery might have gone dead, so no spark to light it. But have been on a couple of short trips (1 hour drives), so surely that would have charged it?

Anyone know people who are good at fixing these kind of camper problems in Sussex - we are fine with our local garage for mechanical problems, but could do with a VW T25 enthusiast who does this kind of work, as we haven't got a clue!

Many thanks,
Emily

Maddy

Re: Fridge ignition stopped working

Post by Maddy »

Mine is dong the same, but intermittently, sometimes the switch works and sometimes is doesn't....any ideas?
1986 VW T25 Autosleeper 1.9l

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

The auto igniter units do fail...typically becoming irratic, sometimes workin and other times failing to do anything BUT...
First check:
The fuse is clean and tight in the holder (drivers B pillar near the seat belt reel) it's the lower amp one of the two (the other is for the ebber heater)
That the push button switches move and operate correctly (can be removed and lubed)

Closely matched units available from Gasure (about £34 I think)

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

And Classic parts
http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlCl ... 253070690A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there is also an earth for the fridge to check From memory I think it is behind the cuboard that is behind the drivers seat. I am not sure if this is only foir the 12V side though but worth checking anyway. Brick-yard does good westy fridge pages
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/t3-we ... 3879513889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
member 1168

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Maddy wrote:Mine is dong the same, but intermittently, sometimes the switch works and sometimes is doesn't....any ideas?

the fuse holder in an Autosleeper is the usual suspect
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Ruby Ruby Ruby

Post by Ruby Ruby Ruby »

Thank you for all these helpful replies.

Emily

Ruby Ruby Ruby

Post by Ruby Ruby Ruby »

Hi,

Just to say Martin's suggestion about checking that the fuse was tight worked. When I first read it I thought I wasn't going to be able to make head nor tail of it, but just followed your instructions (and double checked with an electrician neighbour!) and found the fuse was loose and have replaced both (from Halfords). All working now - great, thanks.

For anyone out there who knows as little about all this as we do, the fuses were underneath the seat belt reel behind the driver's seat, exactly as Martin said. The little cover has a metal screw which I was able to easily unscrew and remove by hand, revealing two fuses (the middle bits), which can be unhooked from where they are slotted in to the metal housing at the top and bottom (and I have now been told are safe to touch as only 12V). The one with the thicker wire should be the higher amp fuse (25amp in ours) and the other the lower amp (16amp). Hope this helps other newcomers like us.

Emily

Splurt
80-90 Mem No: 9694

Post by Splurt »

THANKS! Yet again club8090 to the rescue!

The ignition on my fridge had started acting up now and then and gave up yesterday. 5mins thismorning to check the fuse and it turned out to be a bad wiring contact. Simple clean up and good as new.

Thats the third job in a short while that i have done that has fortunately been a very simple fix. Its easy to think the worst when something goes wrong but thanks to the info on here i can have a go at the basics first and sometimes thats all it takes. Thanks ruby for the extra detail too, great for the inexperienced simpleton!

Cant praise this site enough
Ryan

89 - 1.8T AGU - SA Syncro - Hightop Camper 

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett