split charger relay function

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

getunder

split charger relay function

Post by getunder »

Is the function of the split charger relay to to prioritise the main battery which is more vital and then start charging the leisure battery when the main vehicle battery is fully charged or to stop you draining the main battery when using the leisure battery. Or both. A bit basic but not seen it explained anywhere.

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Re: split charger relay function

Post by nevill3 »

All the info is here http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ca ... it_charger

But basically it is to isolate the leisure battery when starting the engine, too much load for the flimsy wires. But then allows the relay to "trigger " once the alternator starts charging so the leisure battery is then charged at the same time as the starter battery.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

Footprint
80-90 Mem No: 9509

Post by Footprint »

No, it simply disconnects the second battery from the van's electrical system, this way you can use that battery all you like, right up until it's as flat as a witches tit and the main battery will still start your van.

When you start the van the second battery is reconnected such that it will be charged via the main electrical system, clearly for this happy situation to be realised the camping equipment must all be connected to the second battery, a number of vans I have seen have some equipment - typically the radio/stereo - connected to the main battery, used for too long the main battery will run down and won't fire the motor up.
1982 2.0l Aircool Devon
ZX6-R, SV1000, Katana 1100. And now Burgman 400!

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Yes as above it disconnects the leisure battery from the starter battery when the engine is not running. But there are two types of split charge relay the standard one connects both batteries when the engine starts so charges both batteries at the same time, the most charge goes to the flattest battery. Intelligent or voltage sensing relays only connect the leisure battery when the voltage is high enough on the starter battery so charging the starter battery first then it will charge the leisure battery as well.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Red Westie
80-90 Mem No: 4712

Post by Red Westie »

bigherb wrote:Yes as above it disconnects the leisure battery from the starter battery when the engine is not running. But there are two types of split charge relay the standard one connects both batteries when the engine starts so charges both batteries at the same time, the most charge goes to the flattest battery. Intelligent or voltage sensing relays only connect the leisure battery when the voltage is high enough on the starter battery so charging the starter battery first then it will charge the leisure battery as well.

With respect...not really true ^^^ it just switches straight away as the regulated voltage coming from the alternator is always higher than the intelligent relay needs to switch.
A Bosch/Beru voltage regulator is set at 13.9 to 14.2 volts, where as the switching voltage of the 'intelligent relay is set below this, above peak battery voltage (which is about 13 volts) but below regulated voltage...so switching typically in the 13.1 to 13.8 volt range.

So in brief: as soon as the engine starts the starter battery receives regulated voltage (13.9 - 14.2 volts) which instantly exceeds the intelligent relays switching voltage so is switched straight away irrespective of starter battery charge condition.

The only benefit of a smart/intelligent relay is the much simpler wiring as it doesn't need a trigger feed routing back to the alternators exciter wiring.

Martin
On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar now sleep xxHayleyxx

nevill3

Post by nevill3 »

Also on my setup, the internal electrics of the campervan, Lights 12volt sockets etc can be powered either by the laeisure battery or the starter battery by using the selector on the ZIG unit up for starter battery, down for Leisure battery and center for off this has nothing to do with the split charge relay. Obviously I rarely use the starter battery setting except when checking the "condition/state of charge" of it on the battery condition meter.

Nev

Kemlo
80-90 Mem No: 10179

Post by Kemlo »

Interesting, I'm a bit new to the ZIG unit thing.

The writing on the panel is faded, the top row of switches seem to control what's running off 12v, then there's a switch with a pic of a caravan, other pic isn't clear - do you think that determines which battery the 12v is runing off? Don't want to inadvertently drain my starter battery.

there's another switch that seems to say charge on it, and then a red switch at the bottom - no idea what that does - whichever way it is it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm at work so can't post a photo, but lots of online searching hasn't revealed the location of any instructions for the model I have, patrly because I can't seem to find out what model it is...

nevill3

Post by nevill3 »

The charge switch probably charges the leisure battery when on 240volt electric hook up, just a guess because mine doesn't have a charging option.

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

CF6 / CF8 Manual http://www.club80-90.co.uk/pages/downlo ... ig-cf8.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CF9 Manual http://www.club80-90.co.uk/pages/downloads/docs/Zig.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Kemlo
80-90 Mem No: 10179

Post by Kemlo »

Whilst my control panel doesn't look like either of those, the information is probably similar in some respects. Am I right from reading the CF9 guide that the mains hook up will not charge the 'starter' battery at all even when the charger is enabled?

I inadvertantly ran the 12v off the van battery for a day or so whilst away recently, and no amount of fiddling with switches made a difference.

Thanks

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

That's certainly true of the CF6 and CF8 so probably true of the CF9 too. The swithcing of one battery to another is to get you out of the brown stuff if your leisure goes totally t!ts up I think.... Remember Zigs were designed for caravans so switching to the starter is equivalent to using the car battery as an emegency back up.

I haven't even got my starter battery connected although the cable is there if I want to - just don't see the point.
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

murrayslinn
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by murrayslinn »

Hi,
I have been trying to work out how this system works having just purchased a T3. its all working fine now my only question is...

There is a on/off switch mounted in the dash, when its out the stero works (wired to the lesure battery) and when pushed in it wont work. Sometimes weather this switch is in or out has an effect on starting the van (if batteries are low)

Does this manual switch isolate the lesure battery or the main battery? and if so i would assume it isnt charging one battery if it is set a certian way.

Help apprieciated,

Murray