Rev Counter Upgrade Problem

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

OliJones
80-90 Mem No: 8863

Rev Counter Upgrade Problem

Post by OliJones »

Hey all,
ok ill set the scene first and try and provide as much info as i can; Ive upgraded the dash pod on my 1980 Aircooled van from the factory fitted ont to a later addition with a rev counter, now, ive swapped all the wires over as per a post i found buried deep in the forum, and done the necessary short on the BoD connection for the single oil pressure guage ( as per http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... h#p7523424) but ive run into a couple of very random problems, No. 1; the Main beam warning light is permanently on, except when the main beams are actually on, No. 2; the Alternator warning light doesnt come on at all, but it did work previously on the other dash. another question, is there any way of using the temp gauge on the rev counter with the Aircooled engine, as its there itd be nice to put it to work :)

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Rev Counter Upgrade Problem

Post by AngeloEvs »

Assuming that there were no problems with the original dash, I would check that you have modified the edge connector wiring correctly for the later pod and that the Charge LED is actually OK and inserted with the correct polarity:-

Main Beam - Blue/White to cnx 2 (on the edge connector)

Charge light - Blue - to cnx 11

use the following as reference

Cnx 3 Brown Earth

Cnx 8 Black +12V

With the edge connector disconnected and using a multimeter set to 0-20V DC you should have:-

- 0V at cnx2 Blue/White (main beam) with normal headlights and 12V when Main beam is selected.

- around +13.8V at Cnx 11 Blue (for the charge LED) with the engine running
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

OliJones

Post by OliJones »

thanks Angelo know-er of all things electrical! ill check that tonight and post the results, Norris as far as the connectors concerned it will fit between the 2 dash style but you have to rearrange the cables in the plug to be compatible

OliJones

Post by OliJones »

right checked all that and discovered its a bad earth, or rather the -ve leg of the LED for the hazard warning switch was wired into the previous plug as an earth and as i swapped everything over it was moved accordingly, now thats put right the main beam LED is working as it should :) not sure on the charge light yet as the batterys flat and is currently on charge

Norris heres the pin connections for the modification (Angelo if you could confirm :) am thinking of collating all my info into some description of guide for a pod upgrade, its been a pain finding all the info out)

Old style
Pin 1 - Vacant
Pin 2 - Ground
Pin 3 - Instrument Lights
Pin 4 - High Beam
Pin 5 - Ground
Pin 6 - Vacant
Pin 7 - Clock
Pin 8 - Fuel Gauge
Pin 9 - +12v
Pin 10 - Oil Pressure Warning
Pin 11 - EGR/OXS Sensor
Pin 12 - Vacant
Pin 13 - Alternator Warning Light
Pin 14 - Indicators

New Style

Pin 1 - Instrument Lights
Pin 2 - High Beam
Pin 3 - Ground
Pin 4 - Vacant
Pin 5 - Clock
Pin 6 - Temperature Gauge
Pin 7 - Fuel Gauge
Pin 8 - +12v
Pin 9 - Rev Counter feed From Dis Cap
Pin 10 - Indicators
Pin 11 - Alternator Warning Light
Pin 12 - Oil Warning (put to Earth for vehicles with only 1 sensor + do Modification to BoD Circuit, see http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... h#p7523424)
Pin 13 - Oil Warning
Pin 14 - EGR/OXS Sensor