Westfalia Leisure battery access ?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

doivey
80-90 Mem No: 9436

Re: Westfalia Leisure battery access ?

Post by doivey »

Well that video goes to show there is a difference. If I put the seat fully forward it is still not possible to open the flap, this can only be done with a full seat removal.

But thanks, and it does not take forever to get it off.

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

Horns also disagree but prepared to be proven wrong. Any chance of a picture?

horns
80-90 Mem No: 6743

Post by horns »

Next time I do it I'll take a picture, although I'm not planning to remove my leisure battery any time soon.

I'm not talking about just sliding the seat forwards. I'm talking about revolving it 180 degrees then sliding it forwards.
1986 Westfalia Joker 1.6TD

doivey
80-90 Mem No: 9436

Post by doivey »

horns wrote:I'm not talking about just sliding the seat forwards. I'm talking about revolving it 180 degrees then sliding it forwards.

Then the steering wheel gets in the way ! :?

chrisevans

Post by chrisevans »

I think what we are saying is that if you do that on our Vans the seat fouls on the steering wheel even if you fold it flat if that makes sense?

horns

Post by horns »

I know what you're saying. But I have the same van, and I've done it several times. There's a bit of a knack to revolving it with the wheel in the way, but it is possible, and it's easier than removing the seat. I know, because I've done it both ways.

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Well I had someone tell me this was posible a couple of years ago...I remember doubting them but at the time was also willing to have yet another try at something I had thought was impossible....I tried again and again....still haven't managed to turn the back of the seat to the steering wheel. Best I've managed is to get the back of the seat against the drivers door, thats it....

But hey please prove me wrong, although pointing rearwards wouldn't serve any practical use because the kitchen block would get in the way of sitting in that position.
We are talking about factory Westfalia Campers right?

Martin
Last edited by California Dreamin on 10 Apr 2012, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
1989 California 2.1MV

horns

Post by horns »

We are indeed. I removed the seat myself the first time, before somebody told me there was no need to.

California Dreamin

Well I really am past trying...but I'm open to you proving it can be done.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

I've tried with seat on and no matter what I did it seemed to foul somewhere, do us a video Horns! seat off and rotate takes about 30 secs if I wasn't one handed and yacking.
member 1168

bootie3367
80-90 Mem No: 10560

Post by bootie3367 »

I guess LHD vans are different then. I can access my leisure battery just by sliding seat forwards, I don't have a swivel on that side. There is a difference between that and the passenger side box lids. The passenger side lid is a full length jobby where as the drivers side (leisure batt side) is a shorter 2/3 length cover.

Sorry can't get any pics to show the difference as I'm at work and will be for the next 3 weeks. If I remember and this thread is still active when I g et back, I will take pics to show.

Jon
'89 Westy Joker Hitop
1.6TD JX engine

California Dreamin

bootie3367 wrote:I guess LHD vans are different then. I can access my leisure battery just by sliding seat forwards, I don't have a swivel on that side. There is a difference between that and the passenger side box lids. The passenger side lid is a full length jobby where as the drivers side (leisure batt side) is a shorter 2/3 length cover.

Sorry can't get any pics to show the difference as I'm at work and will be for the next 3 weeks. If I remember and this thread is still active when I g et back, I will take pics to show.

Jon

Whay you said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Club Joker
80-90 Mem No: 8367

Post by Club Joker »

I've got 2 front swivel seats in my Club Joker. I can get the leisure battery out by revolving the driver's seat 180 degrees and moving it back. Steering wheel gets in the way, but just tilt the seat forwards and it fits under the steering wheel allowing you to turn it 180. They are ISRI seats though, so not sure if you can do this with normal ones...

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Post by richlaz »

The screws/rivets have been taken out of the hinges on mine, so it's possible to undo the clip each side, then take off the cover. Not sure if it's standard setup or not :?
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Club Joker wrote:I've got 2 front swivel seats in my Club Joker. I can get the leisure battery out by revolving the driver's seat 180 degrees and moving it back. Steering wheel gets in the way, but just tilt the seat forwards and it fits under the steering wheel allowing you to turn it 180.

OK, great. No need for me to have that check, then...

They are ISRI seats though, so not sure if you can do this with normal ones...

One question - have you ever removed them? The clip to get the seat past the stop isn't there, as shown on the video. Any idea how they come out, should I need to?

richlaz wrote:The screws/rivets have been taken out of the hinges on mine, so it's possible to undo the clip each side, then take off the cover. Not sure if it's standard setup or not :?

No - the flap on our Club Joker definitely hinges, rather than removes.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;