Booster seats

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

billybigspud
80-90 Mem No: 9454

Booster seats

Post by billybigspud »

Hi all,
Just wondering which seats other people use for the kids that have to be on boosters in the back of their vans. I have lap belts but the combination of the two does not work very well. Seems better/safer if they do not have the boosters.
Also, I think I heard somewhere that kids do not need a booster with just a lap belt. Can any of you confirm this or did I just dream it?

Ta.

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Re: Booster seats

Post by texasuk »

I have one lap and one 3 point in the back. We always use the 3 point with a full child seat and the lap with a booster. I found the booster actually helps with the belt being more over the top of the thighs rather than around the waist, which is how I am led to believe it should be. So in my experience I would say that using the booster is right for me. On the other hand I'm not that happy about just a lap belt, but I don't see how to have a 3 pointer for what is effectively the middle seat (being a 2 seat rock and roll with cuboards to the side).
Oh and the regs as I read them didn't say anything about an exemption from needing a booster under a certain age or size for any type of belt.

davmar
80-90 Mem No: 7147

Post by davmar »

We have a 3 point each for our two and a lap belt in the middle. Would think the only reason for a booster with a 3 point is so the belt dose not end up round the kids neck so there would be no need for a booster with a lap belt. However i would recomend fitting 3 points every time, lap belts can cause some nasty injuries if the unthinkable happens.
UP THE CHERRIES

trucker
80-90 Mem No: 8980

Post by trucker »

texasuk wrote:I have one lap and one 3 point in the back. We always use the 3 point with a full child seat and the lap with a booster. I found the booster actually helps with the belt being more over the top of the thighs rather than around the waist, which is how I am led to believe it should be. So in my experience I would say that using the booster is right for me. On the other hand I'm not that happy about just a lap belt, but I don't see how to have a 3 pointer for what is effectively the middle seat (being a 2 seat rock and roll with cuboards to the side).
Oh and the regs as I read them didn't say anything about an exemption from needing a booster under a certain age or size for any type of belt.
We have the same set up as this, but now my lez is sorted out I'm going to book in with this place.http://www.quickfitsbs.com/what_press_say.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -[ look under the camper and bus bit for an example] to have a three point belt done on the wardrobe side, not cheap, but peace of mind.
It works like a Citroen Picasso middle belt from the roof cross member and using two receivers as far as I can see.
Don't think lap belts are exempt from using an adaquate child seat/ booster
Quit ad modum panis tosti

texasuk
80-90 Mem No: 7673

Post by texasuk »

I don't have the westfailia style cuboard across the top, but I'll happily have a reel sat up top there if it means I could have a 3 way.

Please let me know if you get any info from them.

billybigspud

Post by billybigspud »

Cheers peeps. I can have one 3 point but the other poses the problem. Going to have a think about it. My Clio has a three point in the middle that hangs from the roof and clips in either side of the person. Looks like this,

http://www.bradgatemotors.co.uk/spares/ ... lt_fm69474" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will have a measure tomorrow to see it it is long enough.

As for the boosters, I will keep them on them if I am to use 3 points.

Alice
80-90 Mem No: 5904

Post by Alice »

My eldest used a booster until the lap part of the seat belt sat across his lap and not his stomach, and youngest still uses one (he's 7). A friends kid was in a small collision in a minicab, he wasn't on a booster and the belt went into his stomach and he was seriously injured.
Lap belts aren't ideal, but if you have to use one I would think the booster is even more important as the strain of the impact force would be taken by the lap part of the belt, and not shared by the upper part as in a 3 point belt. Could be nasty pressing into a kids stomach if the belt sits there cos they're not on a booster.
The little man is not so keen and is constantly getting me to measure him to see if he's big enough to ride without a booster, but it'll be a while yet, he's mini!

mrdp
80-90 Mem No: 9366

Post by mrdp »

I thought the purpose of a booster seat was to raise the child up so that the diagonal part of a 3point belt didn't cut accross their neck. lap belts don't do that anyway therefore a booster seat is a little academic.Also in the front it is also used in modern cars to position the child in a better position should the air bag go off as they can cause injuries if you're too close to them. Not sure many T25 have those fitted :rofl

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Booster seats

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Very nasty injuries can occur with just a lap belt, rips your spleen out I think!! Probably break your neck and more!

I have seen somewhere a strengthening bar inside the cupboard so the 3rd point can attach to what appears to be the cupboard wood.

Just been planning mine so been thinking a lot.

Jon.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Booster seats

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Does this help?
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

billybigspud

Post by billybigspud »

mrdp wrote:I thought the purpose of a booster seat was to raise the child up so that the diagonal part of a 3point belt didn't cut accross their neck. lap belts don't do that anyway therefore a booster seat is a little academic.Also in the front it is also used in modern cars to position the child in a better position should the air bag go off as they can cause injuries if you're too close to them. Not sure many T25 have those fitted :rofl

Only one good place for air bags on a T25 and that is in the wheel arches. :wink:

tally9040
80-90 Mem No: 9498

Post by tally9040 »

My mechanic fitted two Willans rally harnesses for us. They are bolted to the roof above the engine compartment with a huge strong quick release metal hook so they can be removed when not needed. The bottom part of the restraints are bolted into the floor under the bench seat. I have twins who are 4 and they sit on the bench seat with no booster seat. The top of their heads is not above the top of the bench seat so I am really happy that they are snug and safe. The only downside is if they fall asleep they do flop to the side which looks uncomfortable but they don't seem to mind. I am working on some sort of pillow arrangement to help with this though. The harnesses are completely adjustable so will be there for as long as we carry passengers of (almost) any age. Before that we used standard forward facing car seats secured with the lapbelts. Hope this helps. Can send you a photo if you want one.
Owner of Coraline the purple 1983 2.0 CU air cooled High Top ( home conversion )