Self opening side door !

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

t25holdsworth
80-90 Mem No: 10311

Self opening side door !

Post by t25holdsworth »

Hi all, took my bus out earlier and twice the side door came open on it's own,(actually slid wide open, much the shock of my daughter who was sitting by it) a quick prod of the brakes makes it shut again, but it should not have opened as it was locked. I've had a quick look and cannot see any apparent problems with it. the catch seems to work ok, but when I was driving along it seems to me via the door mirror that the door looked to have popped open, and shortly after slides open. Sometimes i have to have several attempts to shut it, as it bounces open again.
Is there anything obvious that I need to check ? When it does shut it looks shut, and the panels all line up ok, but a few miles up the road it could pop open. :?

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Re: Self opening side door !

Post by Cruz »

Firstly this is bodywork technical

Look in the wiki under doors and sliding doors and parts :ok

kap
80-90 Mem No: 9086

Post by kap »

Scary I know it happened to me with my old bus going round a roundabout with my son in the back. I found it was the alloy cast catch on the pillar was worm and ajusted all allen bolts to line up. Then took the cover off the back quarter where the runners are and greased and check bearings and alinement. I was glad to remove the bungee of the door to the seat. Sorry I dont know the name for all the thingy me bobs but someone hear will do. Good luck :ok
Sounds like a golf

t25holdsworth

Post by t25holdsworth »

Cruz wrote:Firstly this is bodywork technical

Look in the wiki under doors and sliding doors and parts :ok

Oops sorry, your quite right, my mistake. Thanks for the advise tho..will look on wiki

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

This can be a common occurence as the temperatures plummet. I've never quite got a handle on why but I think its a combination of thick grease not allowing catches to spring quickly enough and a change in alignment due to the temperature. Can be alarming if not annoying.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

t25holdsworth

Post by t25holdsworth »

It has done this since I've owned it (which isn't very long tbh) only its got a bit worse the more I use it. I had a look on the wiki pages and it may be what's described as the problem. I've not had a chance to look at it yet but hope to tomorrow. I was going to go to the new Forrest this weekend in it to meet with some other club 80-90 members, but because of the door situation I decided it wasn't a good idea to freak my daughter out again with it on the way there and back. Shame but these things happen. I will need to repair it, as there doesn't seem to be any suppliers who have the T25 side door catch, as I would have brought one anyway and just changed it.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

You'll probably find that a small adjustment of the large pin bolted to the door frame will cure it.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

t25holdsworth

Post by t25holdsworth »

CovKid wrote:You'll probably find that a small adjustment of the large pin bolted to the door frame will cure it.
I did look at that pin,(and most other things I thought would be a problem) and it looks like it all lines up ok.When the door does shut it lines up perfectly.. And when checking the door whilst sliding it in slow motion it all looks ok. It could be something as simple as the worn catch, that I will have to file, as per the wiki description.

Nij
80-90 Mem No: 10199

Post by Nij »

I had the same issues - mine flew open when locked.
I adjusted the pin and the front lower locator, now all is fine - though if your door is 100% sitting right, my guess would be worn pin/catch.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Plus it can look right, but actually needs a fractional move of the pin to solve it.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Mine has started doing the same recently, so thanks for the above. On checking the pin, it was hitting the top of the catch. Moved the pin down, so now that latches right. Alignment of the door is out at the back, si think I needed to lift the rear of the door rather than drop the pin. What's the process for adjusting the rear of the door up?
Cheers, Lloyd
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you