Panel Van - Rear 3 Point Seatbelts

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Poseidon
80-90 Mem No: 1025

Panel Van - Rear 3 Point Seatbelts

Post by Poseidon »

In Feburary I was faced with the challenge of fitting 3 point seatbelts into the back of my converted Panel van..
After lots of looking around and waiting for Brickwerks to get the new sealtbelts into stock I have finally made some headway in getting the belts fitted..

For a panel van with no mounting brackets fitted this is what you need.. I have linked to brickwerks as they really are second to none in terms of cost and advice! I am fitting two rear 3 point harnesses to my full width rock n roll seat. (If you have a 3/4 seat you need to read up as the mounts can not be fitted into cabinets.

You will need 6 Seatbelt repair brackets - http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... t+mounting
These are welded in to anchor the seatbelt to. I'll describe the positioning of these below..
You will also need two of the Seatbelt kits http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/shop?page=s ... d=seatbelt

I had to start out with removing the interior of the van to allow my welder to get access to all the points to fit the mounting brackets. The top mount is fitted from the outside inside of the air intake. you will need to locate the small dimple (pushed out from the inside) and drill a 12mm hole. This will allow you to mount the mount inside the air intake correctly aligned.

topmount.jpg
topmountoutside.jpg
The side mounts are pretty easy to place as there are some indents in the panel, although the plate mounts at a 45deg angle..
side mount.jpg

Poseidon

Re: Panel Van - Rear 3 Point Seatbelts

Post by Poseidon »

The centre mounts were a bit of a guess (and also trying to find a good place to mount them on the bulkhead)
center mounts.jpg

Its all a little empty in there at the moment, following a huge amount of welding we thought it was about time to send vinny off for a respray.. Should have him back in a couple of weeks :)
empty.jpg
van.jpg

More pics of the rebuild are here on flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/perfexeon/ ... 680123610/
membership Number 1025

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

I always assumed you just tack welded the spreader plates in place rather than seam welded all around them?

Poseidon

Post by Poseidon »

Lol.. I think my welder wanted to make sure they would never move!!
membership Number 1025

kap
80-90 Mem No: 9086

Post by kap »

My old bus started life with no mounts. I had mine seam welded and made my own plates with nuts welded all the way round them to the plate.i was taking no chances my kids sit at the back :ok
Sounds like a golf

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

What you should do is mount them behind the panel and drill a hole for the seat belt bolt and say 1/2 dozen to puddle weld through , never goes any where and neater than a mess of migging .
mike