swivel seat. is there a base

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

belle in progress
80-90 Mem No: 2205

swivel seat. is there a base

Post by belle in progress »

hi, i have just purchased 2 swivel bases that consist of, runners with a hole in and a round plate with the operating arm.

my problem is, my van seems to be missing something to screw the round plate too, i asume this is because its a transporter that i am converting.

what do you campers have under your seats, if thats not too personal a question.

belle in progress

hi, i got them of of ebay, a guy was selling a pair, was spose to pay £110 but i offered him £85 when i realised i needed more work to get them to fit properly
think i need to have some metal brackets welded on

Grun
80-90 Mem No: 1250

Re: swivel seat. is there a base

Post by Grun »

Just had a quick look at my swivelling passengers seat fitted (I assume) by Autosleepers. It consists of two rectangular steel plates with a central bolt and a bearing of some kind between them for the pivot. The seat runners have been removed from their original position, (are they normally spot welded?) and bolted by six 4mm bolts and nuts to EACH runner to the uppermost plate. The lower plate is attached to the structure from which the seat runners were removed by two 8mm bolts on the nearside, and four pop rivets, (look like about 3 or 4mm) on the opposite side. The seat is then fitted to the runners in the usual way.
Hope this may help a bit.
Grun
'Two 'eads is better'n wun even if mine's a sheeps'
Grun
Member Number 1250
D reg 2.1 DJ autosleeper poptop

belle in progress

sounds like there are more than one kind. my plates are original vw audi parts from germany.

my new plates have runners on them already, so my problem is fixing the round part to the van

its not too big a problem to bolt on some metal but i thint i need something a bit cleverer so seat dosnt sit too high.

thanks for the responces

Grun
80-90 Mem No: 1250

Re: swivel seat. is there a base

Post by Grun »

'Belle'
Just measured mine and the swiveller is about 2 inches higher than the (non swivelling) drivers. I am still looking for the girl with legs long enough!
'Two 'eads is better'n wun even if mine's a sheeps'
Grun
Member Number 1250
D reg 2.1 DJ autosleeper poptop

belle in progress

thats funny, my girl has a 36" leg so looks like i will be fine, thing is im average hight and im doing drivers side too.

catmangler@work
80-90 Mem No: 847

Post by catmangler@work »

We are just engineering some lower seats for Transits so converters can put swivel bases under them.
If the bases came from VW, they are for a Westfalia conversion, as that's the factory approved jobby.
Search ebay for a Westy, and ask for pix of the seat bases (You've heards they fail, and are expensive so wanted to check...) to see how they are supposed to fit?

Cheeky, but effective!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Club 80-90 member 847
T25 WBX 2.1 known as Priscilla, Queen of the Mountains.

PRHPaul
80-90 Mem No: 1012

Post by PRHPaul »

Belle

I think I remember seeing these on e-bay??

The VAG ones should have three parts: -

1. A base with four bolts in the centre and a circular grooved channel - this needs to be welded to the bulkhead of the van bewteen the existing runners.

2. A larger square upper plate with a large diameter lipped circular hole in the middle and seat runners. The lip of the circular hole should sit in the grooved channel of the base, allowing the top part to swivel.

3. A circular metal plate with a lever attached and four bolt holes - this sits on the top of parts 1 & 2, holds the whole thing together and enables the top half with the runners to swivel.

The seat then simply slides into the new runners.

If they are the ones I saw on e-bay, I thought it perculiar as they didn't apper to be complete as i couldn't see part 1 - the base, which I think is the bit you are missing??

If this is the case and sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but youre stuck, as I suspect the base is still in the van from where the rest came (it would need cutting out with a grinder.

:oops:

Get in touch with the seller and ask where the rest of the base is, as what you have is pretty much useless i'm afraid. Worse still is that they are quite difficult to get hold of anyway and most people will only be selling a complete unit - sorry.

Paul
Member 1012