Treating Rust Underneath Van

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Donnw
80-90 Mem No: 6860

Treating Rust Underneath Van

Post by Donnw »

I will soon be starting to sort out the bodywork on my camper. My first job is to treat a lot of mainly surface rust underneath on the floor pan and chassis. The rust is quite flaky in places but appears solid underneath. Some areas have been under-sealed which is starting to come off. After rubbing down the rust as best I can, What should I do to treat it and prevent it re-occurring. What paint or treatment should I use? I have seen people recommending Vactan, Is this best rust treatment for this job, and does it need painting over afterwards?

Kev

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Re: Treating Rust Underneath Van

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Hi Kev, I'm relatively new to things, but the advice I have been given and used to good effect has been. Wire brush/rub/grind back to good metal or as near as then vactan (this is the rust treatmet of choice by the Club 90-90 pros), red oxide or maybe seam sealer. Finally paint with rustoleum or similar and maybe even underseal/shuntz/wazyoil. Hope this helps, Jon.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Give her a really good pressure hot-washing underneath first at a place that has a ramp to drive up on....makes things a lot easier.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Donnw
80-90 Mem No: 6860

Post by Donnw »

Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably use the jet washer first, before using a grinder with a sanding disk. After using Vactan I am not sure what paint I am going to use. Too many options.

Kev