wrap or paint

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Robbo k

wrap or paint

Post by Robbo k »

my van been hand painted and looks shocking so going to get it wrapped in ice white or sprayed white witch one you think? wrap is cheap!

gaz f
80-90 Mem No: 6697

Re: wrap or paint

Post by gaz f »

I do like the concept of wrapping and love the results folks get with it, but with our vans it would have me wondering what is going on under the wrap. At least with paint you'll notice when the dreaded seam rust starts to re-appear and be able to deal with it before its too far gone!

nicktennear
80-90 Mem No: 8931

Post by nicktennear »

I'd worry that one day the van would resemble a carrier bag full of rust.
1983 Reg 1.9 DF, mostly Devon. Wave on your way past.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

:rofl
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

jimpainter
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by jimpainter »

Paint all the way. Wraps are just asking for trouble, hiding moisture and rust.
JRP Automotive welding,bodywork, resprays, servicing and repair.
Classic Vw's
Cheshire

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

jimpainter wrote:Paint all the way. Wraps are just asking for trouble, hiding moisture and rust.

In addition to that, won't a wrap show every little flaw in the surface beneath it?
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Anyone see that T25 that "Wheeler Dealers" wrapped :shock:

It finished up being owned by the Ed the mechanic, I bet that's because no-one would buy a wrapped T25 = nuff said !

E D I T = found a thread about it here = http://www.cymrucampers.com/forums/inde ... opic=564.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One poster says = "The original owner of the van is on Brick-Yard,he now refers to it as 'The one Wheeler Dealers ruined'

E D I T 2 = I wonder if 80-90 member "Silky" ever did his, see thread here = http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=7512533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

simple
80-90 Mem No: 4154

Post by simple »

Top Tip. Use clingfilm, cheaper and you can see whats going on underneath. :ok
Be careful about reading health books. You might die of a misprint. -Mark Twain

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

simple wrote:Top Tip. Use clingfilm, cheaper and you can see whats going on underneath. :ok

Or, if you want to DIY it over time, there's always gaffer tape.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

simple

Post by simple »

To be perfectly honest I would consider it a labour of love. It is not going to be a fast fix, wrap maybe cheap but long term you will regret it, a spray would be another fast fix but costly for good results and you will see the rot coming through in a few years unless you spend a packet.

Myself, I have gone down the labour of love route. Spent last year with much of the insides sitting in my dining room, attacked seams from the inside, vactan, rustoleum, attacked the seams from the outside, vactan, red oxide. I have left the seams clear of seam sealant for about 8 months now, just covered in a thick layer of red oxide and to be honest not much has come back through.

The inside is back inside, I will use the van a lot this summer, in August it will have a few panels replaced followed by another go at the seams back to bare metal, vactan, rustoleum and sealed. I will prep it late summer with a view to getting a quick coat of rustoleum before winter. I figure this way I can do a quick cheap clean up and repaint whenever I see it looking a bit rusty around the edges.

I don't think it matters driving around in a project van, I don't have much money to go all shiny, shiny. If the van is a keeper then go this route, if you have money to burn or want to sell it on for a fast buck, then spray. If your embarrassed by driving & camping in a 'work in progress' then wrap the thing and expect to revisit it all a few years down the line, only you may find much less van underneath the vinyl.

Whichever route you take, go camping as much as possible, that is surely why you bought it in the first place. :ok

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Hey "Simple" that is such a common sense post it should be in the "wiki" section :ok
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

simple

Post by simple »

Thanks, I don't know what came over me. :D

Robbo k

Post by Robbo k »

looks like its paint then thanks. wrap seemed like an easy way out deep down i new it wasn't a great idea on a 30 year old van

Donnw
80-90 Mem No: 6860

Post by Donnw »

That wheeler dealers van is now in my local scrap yard, I just bought a front stub axle from it this morning. Apparently it died from an engine bay fire.

Kev