Re-spray disappointment

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jiffies
80-90 Mem No: 7506

Re-spray disappointment

Post by jiffies »

Had a full respray done about 6 months ago by a local recommended workshop that had done several other campers. The guy talked a good show saying what you would expect. "Strip down the van, shot blast seams, prime, fill etc. No welding was required.

Now whats happening only 6 months down the line is I'm noticing very very slight rust colouring appearing on one or two seams. As you can imagine I'm extremely disappointed with this & need to get back to the workshop & enquire to what actual prep work took place. Surely if it was prepared properly this should not be happening so soon.

Now all I know about re-sprays is what I've read but before I go in there with all guns blazing I thought I'd seek some advise.

What sort of timeframe should I expect the paintwork to last before any rust starts to show its ugly head?
What is normal practise for preparing seams before paint is applied?
Do sprayers generally use a rust treatment before primer is applied?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Jiffies

Gunslinger
80-90 Mem No: 3874

Re: Re-spray disappointment

Post by Gunslinger »

How much did you pay?

hixsy
80-90 Mem No: 7322

Post by hixsy »

Those seams will get ya, very hard to rust proof once they take hold, guys on here know loads about the seams, but from what I can gather, they need to be raked treated from back and front and sealed again even then it's still hard to kill the rust. Hopefully ya didn't pay too much.
bye bye orange ! hello white !

80-90 Mem No: 3299

Post by 1664 »

Yep, the seams are the achilles heel of these vans. It's no use just treating the outside. Even treating both sides can only delay the reappearence of the dreaded rust. I did mine in 2009 and trust me, I was very fastidious with scraping/blasting the seams, back to metal both sides, rust treatment, painting etc but mine have now started displaying rust 'stains' too, albeit only very small ones. Mine weren't even considered that bad to start with but I thought I'd try and nip it in the bud. Mine had only got seam rust on the driver's side and was caused by the window rubbers having become hard and allowing rain water to run in between the rubber and the glass and sit on the inside of the seams.

the black stuff in the next photo is dirt, not rust

I guess ultimately it depends on how bad they were in the first place and whether both sides were treated....
Vorsprung Durch Technik my ar$e!

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Rustoleum is the way forward. Treat seams and roller. If seams start to show again re-treat and repaint that panel.

All for about £50

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Yep, you cover it up and it just keeps coming back. The guy who did our £1500 respray told us that the rust would be back and nearly 22 months later he's correct, but not as bad and at least the rest of the van's the same shade of red

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Gunslinger
80-90 Mem No: 3874

Post by Gunslinger »

Same here. I work in a bodyshop and spent months (evenings and weekends) prepping it properly and using top quality products. The products applied, paint, primer, lacquer etc, alone were £700 trade. That was 3 years ago and I have a few scabby bits coming back. Its almost inevitable I'm afraid.

paul66beetle
80-90 Mem No: 8687

Post by paul66beetle »

Gunslinger wrote:Same here. I work in a bodyshop and spent months (evenings and weekends) prepping it properly and using top quality products. The products applied, paint, primer, lacquer etc, alone were £700 trade. That was 3 years ago and I have a few scabby bits coming back. Its almost inevitable I'm afraid.

Especially if you live near the sea in England.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

And if you don't live near the sea they bring the salt to you and throw it all over the roads instead Cue the 'covered in Waxoyl' look
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Ian Hulley wrote:And if you don't live near the sea they bring the salt to you and throw it all over the roads

that is so true
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

So as Gunslinger asked, how much you pay and what if anything was poromised/claimed, and were not on a which hunt here just trying to put it in perspectiver
]mike

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Ouch,that's hard luck!

Although I'm new to this forum, I've replied to another chap's post who, I fear, will soon be having the same issues as you.

As I've mentioned, I strongly doubt that any bodyshop worth its salt would ever offer a guarantee on ANY rust repair. The trouble is basically this: if metal succumbs to rusting, then unless it has been nigh-on surgically cleaned and immediately treated with an acid based etch primer, you will have trouble. And even if this were done, then I still would not offer a guarantee.

Believe me, I had this sort of argument countless times with insurance assessors who would come into our office armed with latest rules and regulations [as I was an approved repairer], i.e their 'lifetime' anti corrosion guarantee THEY, as insurers offered to their customers on MY repair.
My stock reply was the same as ever: I am not repairing a vehicle in a 'clean' room environment [i.e as a VM would as common 'air' is corrosive] I am working in a relatively clean, well equipped workshop, working to Thatcham repair standards, using top quality paint, etc but I still wont offer a guarantee on ANY brand new, welded, panel fitted when I have removed the factory cathodic primer [even though a VM approved weld-though primer was then applied]so that I can then weld it in place. Indeed, many brand new panels had their cathodic paint damaged in transitt, so technically they were useless. And, no ins.co ever removed their approval to me, they just left the anti-corrosion clause in obeyance!

So basically, if that is the case on a brand new VM panel, there is no realistic chance of a guarantee on a 20 plus year old vehicle.

I wish you every success with this repairer and hope that, out of goodwill if nothing else, they will do their best to rectify the situation for you.

I shall now put my hard hat on for the anticipated flack....

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

No flack, But as for rectifying and goodwill, well that is rather dependant on the state to begin with , the agreed works and of course the cost, when we have that and hopefully pickies before? and now we can proceed to molify or whatever.
M

jiffies
80-90 Mem No: 7506

Post by jiffies »

Firstly Thanks for everybodies comments! Very much appreciated.
Ok so cost wise I paid £2000 for a two tone respray. I was told this would include sand blasting the seams. It also included sand blasted 5 wheels then painting & laquer. It also included black satin for the window frames, door handles & bumper.
The van was bought in Oct & had been sat dormant for 8 years sat outside in all weather. Two of the rear panels had alrrady been replaced & primed. In general the rust was minimal considering. See attached photos including one of the worst seam. I was under no illusions that rust would reappear but just not in a 6 month time frame. Within this time the van has been kept under a van cover for most of this time. Surely if it was prepared properly it should have lasted a few years!!
Ok then so what are my options? Nervously I'll speak to the workshop & see what they say. Is there simply noththing else that can be applied externally the the seams to delay the process? Some sort of wax or sealant?
Cheers
Jiffies

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

looks like a lot of the seams have been filled, for sure that rear arch and fridge seam. Bound to be a lot of rust behind there
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you