My 1980 T25 - Camper Project

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

folkers
80-90 Mem No: 8820

My 1980 T25 - Camper Project

Post by folkers »

Just thought I'd start a thread to keep a record of progress and keep me motivated!
Currently trying to flat down paint for doing a rustoleum roller paint job, and repair rust.

Will then look at interior, I have some bits which were in the van including a westy rock and roll bed, and sink/cooker unit but need to make up furniture, insulate, ply line, etc.

Van as I bought it:

Have been looking to see what repairs need to be done, and have began flatting down paint - can see original paint coming through!

This is where the worst rust is, I understand its a common problem with the T25?? Bottom of the front panel. Going to be cutting a panel out to fit and weld in place of the holes!:

Also foot steps need replacing, they are quite corroded
Last edited by folkers on 29 May 2011, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

gaz f
80-90 Mem No: 6697

Re: My 1981 T25 - Camper Project

Post by gaz f »

Good to see pics of the van you've been mentioning on the rollering thread.

Your in a similar position to myself as far as the painting goes with the original paint under a respray. I found this quite assuring to be honest as after flattening it back you've still got a good couple of layers over the majority of the van before you roller on a few coats... giving you lots of paint on the old thing! Small tip for (if you want to) painting in the rear channels either side and around the tailgate and around the inside edge of the tailgate so that when you open the tailgate it looks original or at least not a bodged paintjob! Firstly remove the tailgate rubber, once you've rubbed it down a little paint in there with a half inch wide crafting brush (soft bristles and pointed tip) this type of brush makes painting easy in the relatively confined spaces and leaves a naturally smooth finish with no brush marks. When your done you can close the tailgate and as the rubber isn't there the 2 surfaces don't touch and stick together! :ok

Keep adding to the thread please, love watching the transformation! Which reminds me, should really update mine! :oops:

folkers

Post by folkers »

thanks gary, that's good to know! Its definitely taking more time than expected to prep, I keep unearthing bits of corrosion.

One of the forum members has kindly offered to lend me his welder so hopefully will start doing the repairs soon.

bennwedge
80-90 Mem No: 3040

Post by bennwedge »

did the same repair to the front panel on mine, its a real biatch as you cant get to it properly with a disc cutter. took me hours to do. good luck

folkers

Post by folkers »

Cheers, looks like a nightmare to get to!! Will update on progress when I have the welder and am ready to cut out panel.....just continuing with prep at the moment and so far so good. Have got all the rust out of the seams, and used Vactan on them. No major rust on the drivers side - Bit of surface rust on the sill but nothing too serious so will flat down and treat.

folkers

Post by folkers »

Got some more done on the van today! Welded a plate to the front panel, needs smoothing over and welds grinding etc....fabricated driver, and passenger side foot steps to replace corroded ones and have welded in, Vactan'd and put one coat of rustoleum on the passenger side plate (although not shown in pic!!) :ok

Drivers side isn't finished yet, need to cut out and weld in a new panel on the sill part next to the step, tomorrow's job!

Thanks very much again to RAINMAN for the loan of the welder :D

folkers

Post by folkers »

Made pretty good progress again today.....got part of the rear panel primed after taking down to bare metal!

Have also filled the front panel, so it sits flush now it's welded and primed that too :ok
Pretty pleased with the results:

folkers

Post by folkers »

Oh...how I underestimated the preparation time on my van! Spent 8 days on prep & welding up so far, and only about 1/2 way there....

another successful day spent on the van though, new sliding door with window fitted, all welding finished now...just need to seal seams, flat down roof, sliding door etc then I can get rollering :mrgreen:

gaz f
80-90 Mem No: 6697

Post by gaz f »

It does take longer than you first estimate, I couldn't believe how long it ended up taking me to prep mine.

Keep up the good work mate... you'll get there in the end! :ok

bennwedge
80-90 Mem No: 3040

Post by bennwedge »

youve done a good job there mate :ok

folkers

Post by folkers »

Cheers guys, makes it all worthwhile....should have taken some more photos today but totally forgot...looks a bit different again now!

Have decided to go for a black roof and blue body now, as I think the blue is a bit overpowering otherwise (in my opinion)

davidharvey
80-90 Mem No: 8913

Post by davidharvey »

Looking good so far. I love reading progress threads, gives ideas and inspiration, as well as letting people see how you did things. :ok

folkers

Post by folkers »

Been busy today (and the weekend before last) prepping the roof for painting. Finished the prep this morning, so this afternoon managed to get the first coat on of black.

Really happy with the results for the first coat, and would definately recommend the rustoleum roller method of painting :D
So thanks to everyone on here for the thread & wiki article

Roof Before

Roof After

folkers

Post by folkers »

Finally, got some slightly warmer, and dryer weather so prepped the sliding door for rollering and vactan'd the rusty bits :D

Managed to get a coat of rustoleum on in the workshop as well (photo to come) which looks pretty good, and only the first coat! :ok

folkers

Post by folkers »

Todays handywork! Got the sliding door painted :D Will use cutting compound in a few weeks to get rid of minor orange peel