Holes

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

corleone
80-90 Mem No: 1106

Holes

Post by corleone »

I found a couple of holes in my offside inner sill yesterday, I was having a check prior to the MOT next week. :(

I'm pretty sure that this would constitute as a failure for the MOT so considering that my credit card bills are beginning to bite I'm considering putting her SORN for the winter and sort it out in the spring when its not pouring it down every weekend.

There's a couple of things I would like to find out though. The only place I can find a replacement sill is JK, I've had a few dodgy parts from them in the past so is there anybody else? I can't find it on euro or gsf.

Considering I've never welded before, is this a job that beyond a novice? My girlfriends dad and mate are fairly competent welders but would we need to brace the side of the van before cutting out the old sill?

As I'll be laying her up for the winter (the van that is :wink: ) what do peeps suggest would be the best way to stop the rot moving elsewhere?

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

i got mine from here http://www.ahschofield.co.uk/
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

what do peeps suggest would be the best way to stop the rot moving elsewhere?

Dry everything out thoroughly - e.g. on blocks and pull out all the plugs, scrape out muck where you can (just about everywhere) and after a good dry week or so, inject Waxoyl into closed sections.

Anything you can see is a bit rusty or on the way but not critical (yet) > good heavy wire brush to remove dirt and rust and paint Eastwoods Rust Encapuslator on it - it works. £25/US quart or spray can (£16) inc VAT - try starting with the straight paint, its quite thick, decant into smaller tin to keep original contaminant free... throw cheap brushes away (£1 shop type, some long handled ones useful) - not in enclosed area - if the smell is too much, get the hell out of it for 5 minutes! Can spray into enclosed sections, or difficult areas. Can be top-coated for apperance with Eastwoods Chassis Black or almost any hard finish paint, but can be got in black, silver or red so there ya go!
If you can get good access, do the Eastwoods first, then Waxoyl on enclosed sections. I'm impressed with it, but there'll always be others who haven't used it recommending something else... but if it's a quick paint over, even if you can't get all the rust off easily, one coat, it's the biz.

Eastwoods from http://www.frost.co.uk

If it's structural cut it all out back to good metal (a good twistknot wire brush (£10) on a 110mm angle grinder is wicked for this, exposes anything that isn't solid) - then get a similar (.8mm) steel repair plate welded in - butting up is best rather than overlapping on surface body panels.

If there's signs of rust bubbles along the seams, then start behind the panel (where the trouble really is!), heavy wire brush the flange area to clean thoroughly and Rust Encap (very thick coat into the gaps, don't play with it), then rip out the seam sealer bodyside and clean back to where the pitting stops on the panels (maybe 1" away or more) - use a scriber or specailly ground hacksaw blade or screwdriver - I RustEncap deep into the seam and surrounds, but others prime and use Tigerseal or a good seam sealer - it'll come gain though!

Also, note what has rusted and why - nearly always it'll be closed sections that can't breathe or water getting in that can't get out, I always like to design a drain just in case, but that has to be rustproofed too, so think it through - i.e. stop underbody splashes getting in, but let it drain out.

Certain areas can be protected from splash/grit/stones abrasion and rust using corrugated plastic (those old Estate Agent signs left in the street) stuck loosely with RTV or similar - they are easy to fabricate (big scissors/stanley knife), jam in and fix to stop a vulnerable area being hammered by stones/water etc. Always allow a draining gap in case water gets behind - a good area to protect is behind the rear wheel, the snorkel boxes either side, they always seem to go on the front bottom corners, maybe all along the engine flitch panel/chassis rail join, clean and fill that area with sealant to stop water sitting there. Drill the sentre of the snorkel boxes to drain (1/4" min) and protect from below with a small plate... if you've got a DJ with electrics in there, vital it's dry and well aired. Ditto plastic above the wheels under the seat, under the front door step treads etc. but never fit it tight up to a another panel, jam the edges on width and stand it off.

... you did say you wanted a project for the winter?
Last edited by HarryMann on 31 Oct 2005, 20:47, edited 5 times in total.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

TD
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by TD »

never welded my T25, it's still too 'new' (i.e. 19 years )
But my old 'Bay' was a rot box. I welded inner/outers on that with a MIG I bought , gas bottle from British O, and it passed MOT AND was seen at Vanfest the other year with same sills, after 18 years of use. So yes , you can do it with care and dedication. van will not collapse from cutting out sill. get good angle grinder and discs.
I use Supertrol for closed sections , far superior to other stuff(IMHO).
thatwill slow rot down.
But first you need to keep mud and crap off the parts that will rot.
BOL :D
Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.
Member LX

NOT ANOTHER LEAK
80-90 Mem No: 2272

holes

Post by NOT ANOTHER LEAK »

as mentioned eastwoods rust encapsulator is a top product, :D used it myself and it really does work its a bit pricey tho and always put a plastic bag or simillar between the lid and tin when finished cos the lid welds itself on otherwise :D
richard member no 2278
sorry son no screwballs left

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

used it myself and it really does work its a bit pricey tho

Yeh, 'tis too, but I'm told all good paint these days is silly money, a teacup full of Hammerite thinners is a fiver (the stuff to use with RE)

Budget for a couple of tins if you're going all around the front susp., sills and back- but not painting anything that isn't getting rusty already. Not brill on clean bare metal, they also do a spray solvent pre-clean for best results 'PRE' - dry rust is what it really likes to bond to best - and there's usually plenty of that. Avoid leaving the tin open in heat of summer.

Syncronaut No. 1

TOMMY THE CAT
80-90 Mem No: 48

good stuff

Post by TOMMY THE CAT »

Has anyone found any of the products in Frosts good for outer panles that need to be resprayed?
I always get as much rust out but still want a good pre paint rust cure?
Dont mind the money if they work!
Ta D

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Eastwood's Rust remover: Frost might sell it
http://eastwood.com/shopping/product/de ... ctID=11122

You can in fact spray EW Rust Encapsulator in the conventional way, but you cannot buy Eastwoods thinner at Frosts. EW say, ' a good lacquer thinner' which doesn't mean much in the UK, although toluene is its main constituent.

You can spray a finish coat fairly soon afterwards, 6- 8 hours - read the can when you get it. I wouldn't have thought it flats off very well though, tney say 320 grit.

You can find a comparative article between EW RE and POR15 on many sites (which refer to spraying it):-

http://eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemID=852 ... SubCat=852

Just found this:

Wire Brush to remove loose rust, scale and paint. Remove dust, grease, oil deposites. Thoroughly stir can contents to assure complete mixing. Feather surrounding paint with 220 grit sandpaper. Brush apply directly from the can or thin 20% w/lacquer thinner to spray. Single coats dry to the touch in 20 minutes and are thoroughly dry in 3-4 hours at 68 degrees F. For greater durability a second coat can be applied one hour after the first. Allow 6-8 hours after last coat before applying top coat. See can label for more details.

Rust Encapsulator can be applied with the Undercoating System, but this application isn't recommended because Rust Encapsulator requires surface to be free of grease, oil, and loose rust. The best product to coat inside box sections is the Heavy Duty Anti-Rust (16017 ZP). This waxy, oily product flows into pinch welds & through rust to seal surface from contact with moisture & air, but cannot be painted over so is only suitable for inside box sections that don't show. Use lacquer thinner for cleanup.

Work in a well ventilated area when applying this product. The use of a respirator like our Professional Respirator (34029) is recommended when applying this coating.
[/url]

Syncronaut No. 1