Gas struts on tailgate

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Gas struts on tailgate

Post by Ian Hulley »

Ermie Emma bought some adjustable strength ones from RS components, we had to degass them slightly just to get the poptop back down ! :shock: Can't find them on the RSWWW website ... no change there then !

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

turtle_van

Post by turtle_van »

Hi There

I recently bought a T25 and I want to replace the tailgate struts. How do I get the old gas struts off? I thought they would be held on with a screw or bolts but they're not! Is it circlips that are holding the bottom end on?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steven

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Bottom end are a ball and socket and if I remember rightly, come off with a tug.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

terrygibson
80-90 Mem No: 11207

Re: Gas struts on tailgate for bike rack

Post by terrygibson »

I had the problem of tailgate not staying open after fitting bike rack. I found one of the suppliers of struts - http://www.cargasstruts.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where you can find the struts for the T3 etc, phoned them and said I needed an uprated strut for the bike rack - he replied immediately 'you've got a transporter haven't you' - it's obviously a common query.

He said all you do is order the specific item you want, and when you're going through the checkout process there's a 'comments' field. Type in there 'Charge strut to 1250 Newtons' and complete ordering and they will ship them charged to the right pressure to work with a bike rack on.

The total cost for a pair with delivery etc at time of writing was £40

I'm writing in advance of trying them just while it's in my head to do so, so can't guarantee this works!
T25 Westfalia Atlantic 1.6TD

carlmarx
80-90 Mem No: 6250

Post by carlmarx »

terrygibson wrote:I had the problem of tailgate not staying open after fitting bike rack. I found one of the suppliers of struts - http://www.cargasstruts.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where you can find the struts for the T3 etc, phoned them and said I needed an uprated strut for the bike rack - he replied immediately 'you've got a transporter haven't you' - it's obviously a common query.

He said all you do is order the specific item you want, and when you're going through the checkout process there's a 'comments' field. Type in there 'Charge strut to 1250 Newtons' and complete ordering and they will ship them charged to the right pressure to work with a bike rack on.

The total cost for a pair with delivery etc at time of writing was £40

I'm writing in advance of trying them just while it's in my head to do so, so can't guarantee this works!

I Installed a set of these badboys. Awesome!
..................................................................................................................................................................
VW Uber Alles.

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Post by Mark S »

I too just fitted a set of these bad boys. However, the quote from Terry above is at odds with what the supplier states. As advised above, I put a comment on my order to charge to 1250 N. On contacting the company later to confirm they got the instruction, they admitted they had not noticed my comment. They also said that the T25 gas struts can only be charged to 650 N; only the T4 and T5 struts can be charged to 1250 N.

Nonetheless, they seem pretty firm. While I was fitting them the tailgate more or less stayed up on one strut, and with both of them in it took some effort to close. I've not tried it with the rack on yet, but I reckon it should hold it up nicely.
1987 Westy Joker