new door handle T25. Primus top anyone?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

banana
80-90 Mem No: 2517

new door handle T25. Primus top anyone?

Post by banana »

Can anyone give me a step by step on removing and renewing the sliding door handle / lock on T25.

Anyone else got a T25 reimo primus pop up high top and tried to replace the canvas. I am going to but would like to find out any useful info.

:?:

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

remove cap on inside handle (if there is one) undo screw and remove inside handle, this will allow the interior trim to be removed. locate and undo the large cross head screw on the gold coloured lock mechanism that you can now see. This should now allow for the outside handle to pull out. Assuming you have a complete replacement outside handle then re-fitting is reverse of th above, if you intend to fix your own lock then that is where the fun begins. (on the plus side you can do it inside in the warm!)
member 1168

banana

Post by banana »

Thankyou for the info.

lone gunman
80-90 Mem No: 1044

Post by lone gunman »

Hacksawbob wrote: re-fitting is reverse of the above,

Hey Bob, you ever work for Haynes :rofl
Stephen AKA Lone Gunman.

Autohomes Kameo 1.9 wasserboxer

Practice gun control ... use BOTH hands.

Jolly Boy A
80-90 Mem No: 1722

Post by Jolly Boy A »

Ooh, ooh. Me. I've got a Reimo Primus and you are the only other person I have heard of/from who has one!!!
I'm afraid you can't get new canvasses for them. :(
I had to have one made by a tent maker. Unfortunately she only had the original, tatty canvas to use as a template so the replacement isn't great. It's a bit baggy at the front and very, very tight at the back. I also had to have the hinges replaced as one of them had ripped out of the roof.
Anyway, this is my bus:

If your van is the same as/similar to mine I'd like to swap info if possible. There are a few things I want to confirm about the interior and put back to standard.
Member 1722

skeeb
80-90 Mem No: 1123

Post by skeeb »

Nice bus!!!!!how much is that lowered by? just lowered springs or lowered shocks as well? planning to lower me bus over da winter so am interested. Where in S Wales are you as i'm from near swansea.
Laterz
Skeeb
Memebr No 1123

Life is like a grinding wheel, it can polish you up or wear you down - it depends what you are made of !

Jolly Boy A

Post by Jolly Boy A »

Skeeb - I'm in Newport.
The van is lowered 60mm on lowered springs and shocks - package deal from Just Kampers.
The wheels are Porsche Design 90s - 16*8 on the rear and 16*6 on the front. Adaptor plates are fitted behind each wheel.
Member 1722

Jolly Boy A

Post by Jolly Boy A »

Skeeb - I'm in Newport.
The van is lowered 60mm on lowered springs and shocks - package deal from Just Kampers.
The wheels are Porsche Design 90s - 16*8 on the rear and 16*6 on the front. Adaptor plates are fitted behind each wheel.
Member 1722

Jolly Boy A

Post by Jolly Boy A »

Thanks, Skeeb
I'm in Newport.
Member 1722

Jolly Boy A

Post by Jolly Boy A »

Oops. Don't know what happened there.
The system kept telling me it couldn't post my reply then did that. :roll:
Member 1722

banana

Post by banana »

JollyBoy someone with a primus!!

I have the same roof assembly as yours. They must be rare! My van is a 1.6TDI. No original decals so probably a white respray. I have round front lights. But Ive bought all the JK grilles so now double etc.

The roof is a brilliant design as it gives standing room all the time without being too high and a great double bed up top. However I bought my van with a misaligning roof ie the leading edge of the pop up sits high on the rubber seal. I think the previous owner reversed the lid into something and shunted the fibre glass and hinges forward a bit. I want to reset them renew canvas and get the lid to shut snug.

Can you describe the removal and refit of the canvas and most importantly what possibilities I have for hinge adjustment and stopping water getting in after hinges are refitted. In return Ill now describe the original reimo interior.

Drivers side:
Behing drivers seat...First comes the Stainless steel sink next to a 3 burner hob and grill with glass hinge lid cover. Under the sink is small cubby hole under that is the gas bottle cupboard. All cupboards have doors. Next to the bottle cupboard is the Electrolux 3 way fridge. next to the fridge is the storage cupboard housing a breaker switch and higher up the Zig panel. The top of this cupboartd makes a small work surface. Next to this is the roof to floor cubboard for hanging clothes but the door goes down to the back seat R&R bed. and next to that is a rear cupboard starting at bed level. Above your head as you sleep is a shallow locker for clothes and left and right of locker is a good spot for speakers.
Sink cooker is backed by hinge up and out double glazed window. Higher up is cup shelf with lights recessed in to alluminate cooker area.
Passenger seat is swivel. Behind that is a toilet cabinet with hinge lid.
Under backseat is drop down hinge panel to access storage area and seat belt mounts etc. Slide door and rear window are double glazed as is tail gate window. great for avoiding condensation.
The original floor carpet was rank and now lino. the cupboards are all finished in white (plus grey spot) laminate with mid grey rubber finishing strips all round. Still looks good but getting harder to get replacement rubber trim now for sunburnt bits.

My canvas is good 3 inches above the baseline area where the misfit lid allows some moisture to get in and rot the edge. I have repaired it but this is not going to work forever hence renewal. I can get all the materials no problem and my wife is going to copy and make the new canvas. The heavier stitching may have to be done by someone else.

I now have recon engine on 600 miles following head gasket problems. So I intend to run it for a few more years yet. I could take pics if you need them but digital camera is not that clever in poor light.

Hope to hear from you soon. Like the wheels and lowered effect too sadly I cant get agreement to do this and new engine has reduced funds by many thousands.

banana

Post by banana »

JollyBoy someone with a primus!!

I have the same roof assembly as yours. They must be rare! My van is a 1.6TDI. No original decals so probably a white respray. I have round front lights. But Ive bought all the JK grilles so now double etc.

The roof is a brilliant design as it gives standing room all the time without being too high and a great double bed up top. However I bought my van with a misaligning roof ie the leading edge of the pop up sits high on the rubber seal. I think the previous owner reversed the lid into something and shunted the fibre glass and hinges forward a bit. I want to reset them renew canvas and get the lid to shut snug.

Can you describe the removal and refit of the canvas and most importantly what possibilities I have for hinge adjustment and stopping water getting in after hinges are refitted. In return Ill now describe the original reimo interior.

Drivers side:
Behing drivers seat...First comes the Stainless steel sink next to a 3 burner hob and grill with glass hinge lid cover. Under the sink is small cubby hole under that is the gas bottle cupboard. All cupboards have doors. Next to the bottle cupboard is the Electrolux 3 way fridge. next to the fridge is the storage cupboard housing a breaker switch and higher up the Zig panel. The top of this cupboartd makes a small work surface. Next to this is the roof to floor cubboard for hanging clothes but the door goes down to the back seat R&R bed. and next to that is a rear cupboard starting at bed level. Above your head as you sleep is a shallow locker for clothes and left and right of locker is a good spot for speakers.
Sink cooker is backed by hinge up and out double glazed window. Higher up is cup shelf with lights recessed in to alluminate cooker area.
Passenger seat is swivel. Behind that is a toilet cabinet with hinge lid.
Under backseat is drop down hinge panel to access storage area and seat belt mounts etc. Slide door and rear window are double glazed as is tail gate window. great for avoiding condensation.
The original floor carpet was rank and now lino. the cupboards are all finished in white (plus grey spot) laminate with mid grey rubber finishing strips all round. Still looks good but getting harder to get replacement rubber trim now for sunburnt bits.

My canvas is good 3 inches above the baseline area where the misfit lid allows some moisture to get in and rot the edge. I have repaired it but this is not going to work forever hence renewal. I can get all the materials no problem and my wife is going to copy and make the new canvas. The heavier stitching may have to be done by someone else.

I now have recon engine on 600 miles following head gasket problems. So I intend to run it for a few more years yet. I could take pics if you need them but digital camera is not that clever in poor light.

Hope to hear from you soon. Like the wheels and lowered effect too sadly I cant get agreement to do this and new engine has reduced funds by many thousands.

Jolly Boy A

Post by Jolly Boy A »

Hey Banana,
When I got my van the roof had the same problem as yours. i.e. pushed forward so it would close properly. As a result the canvas had got wet and rotted in the corners. I got a company in Newport to replace the canvas for me. When they took the roof off one of the hinges had ripped away from it's mounting in the roof. We think this is because the pneumatic struts that hold the roof up are too strong and force the roof forward when it is closed. Unfortunately they have to be strong to hold such a heavy roof open. Try disconnecting the struts and see if the roof will close properly then.
I wonder if that is why the Primus was only made for a short time (only about 18~24 months according to Reimo). It is a fabulous concept that doesn't quite work.
The layout inside mine is the same as yours from your description. The only difference is that I have a single glazed sliding window in the sliding door.
How many tables have you got? I have the main one with the leg that swings out from under the rear seat. Also, when I got the van there was another smaller table and leg in the cubby hole above the cab. Have you got this one? I want to find out where it should be fitted.
I would also like to know what covering/lids you have on the box sections under the driver and passenger seats (the battery boxes). A previous owner has covered them with home made bits of hardboard covered in tatty carpet type material and it is crap!
A few photos of the inside would be greatly appreciated.

Ahhh. So many questions!
Where are you located? A made up is needed I feel.
:)
Member 1722

banana

primus top

Post by banana »

The description of your roof problems is really interesting. When I looked back toward the hinges ie crawling into the pointy end I can see alot of amber coloured sealant around the hinge base. Is this a failed repair job? Do you have sealant at the hinge base as viewed inside the van? Im going to try the what you said first and see if tension is preventing it closing. How did you get the roof to close...did you reposition the hinges or what?

I only had one table assembly. The table stows between the driver and sink held by a popper and strap. The table can be inserted into mountings by the side of the fridge which stands clear of the ajoining cupboard by 6 inches. I have adapted it with quick release bike bolts to make the dam thing stop wobbling. If it ever had a second table its not there and no space to put it.

The tatty covers you describe are crap on mine too however they are still in the correct trim if a bit shabby. One day i will remake them so they stay on. My leisure battery under the drivers seat is too tall and I have to space up the cover with hd foam ....also looks rubbish.

Bedfordshire is along way from Wales but we may visit fresh water east again next year.

I find the primus concept good for space and so much bigger than a T4. The new T5's get closer inspace terms but still not so many places to stow stuff. Shame the roof is tricky but I hope I can get the repair to work.

I have a very old brochure page showing 3 reimo covertions of which one is the primus. Its nearly lost its colour, but the van illustrated has the full body kit, metallic paint.

Jolly Boy A

Post by Jolly Boy A »

To close the roof once the struts were disconnected was simply a matter of pulling down and back really hard.
Mine also had what looked like a failed fibreglass patch on the driver side hinge. The new hinges have been bolted through the rear of the roof section. It's not particularly pretty, but they work ok.
I now leave the struts permanently disconnected at the bottom end when the roof is closed and have made up a couple of brackets that move the strut ends back about 3 inches when the roof is raised. It's a bit of a faff as I have to raise the roof and wedge it open with a length of 2x1 and then bolt the bottom end of both struts to the brackets.
I'll take some photos on the weekend and mail them to you. E-mail or pm me your e-mail address.

To remove the canvas you have to unscrew all the little self tappers that hold the plastic strips around the bottom edge of the canvas and then prise the staples out of the strips around the top edge of the canvas. It's easier to get at it all if you remove the upstairs bed and the roof locker. They are screwed in place and removal is fairly easy.

What reg/year is your van?

Here's afew shots showing the state of the old canvas:

And another of how it is now:

Member 1722