A Favour - Van Rust Problems

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bluebells
80-90 Mem No: 3217

A Favour - Van Rust Problems

Post by bluebells »

Hi all,

My van went for its MOT last month and it failed pretty drastically :(

Some was a few very minor mechanical failures such as the handbrake, so no real problems there. However, there were a number of points raised about rust, and some parts being classed as *** Dangerous ***. :cry:

Fortunately SteveW off here is offering his help, but living 200 miles away he doesn't really want to pop up and assess the situation, to then have to pop back up to start the work.

So the favour I'm asking is anybody in the North West (Liverpool) area able to pop over and see how bad this rust is? There would obviously be the offer of cups of tea, beer and/or cake... (I've not really got any idea what I'm looking at).

tonytech
80-90 Mem No: 477

Post by tonytech »

Well, I'm local, Crosby, but probably cant tell you much.
I have a blind spot for rust. :D

Can you be more specific where the rust is? chassis? Body work?
If you can take some pics and post them up, some nice people will offer their views.

T
There are 10 kinds of people. those who understand Binary and those who dont

SteveW
80-90 Mem No: 2760

Post by SteveW »

From what I can remember it is sills and body mounting points? Found this from an earlier e-mail:

Reasons for refusal of a Test Certificate:

1. Nearside rear parking brake recording little or no effort Must try harder :wink: [3.7.A.7a]
2. Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort Just copying the nearside [3.7.A.7a]
3. Exhaust emission carbon monoxide content excessive [7.3.B.2a] - think the bloke said it was 7.8%, should be 4.5% No wonder it use's so much fuel

4. Nearside rear (inner) vehicle structure has excessive corrision, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings *** Dangerous ***
5. Offside rear (inner) vehicle structure has excessive corrision, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings

6. Offside steering system has excessive free play detected at the steering wheel (steering rack fitted)
7. Offside front upper suspension arm has excessive play in a pin / bush *** Dangerous ***
8. (mounting bushes) steering rack insecure I have sent this to asertive classes, more positive now
9. Offside rear rear wheel bearing has excessive play About time it stopped playing and did some work
10. Offside front anti-roll bar has exessive play in a pin / bush
11. Nearside front (incorrect nuts fitted) anti-roll bar attachment bracket / mounting modified and serious weakened *** Dangerous ***
12. Offside front (incorrect nuts fitted) anti-roll bar attachment bracket / mounting modified and serious weakened *** Dangerous ***
13. Offside front brake back plate securing device excessively deteriorated.
14. Paring brake lever has no reserve travel.
15. Exhaust system has major leak of exhaust gases.
16. (fuel filter) fuel system componenet insecure.

17. Nearside front (outer sill) body has excessive corrosion, seriously afftecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings
18. Offside front (outer sill) body has excessive corrosion, seriously afftecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings
19. Nearside rear (outer sill) body has excessive corrosion, seriously afftecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings
20. Offside rear (outer sill) body has excessive corrosion, seriously afftecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings
21. Nearside (inner and outer step area) body has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings.

22. Parking brake effiency below requirements.

There is also one which has been scribbled out:
23. Offside front upper suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint *** Dangerous ***

Only the bits in red I am interested in as the rest is easy by comparison :shock: Any of you who can take a look I would be greatfull save me a few miles and no doubt a few quid.
Never enough time

Vash
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Vash »

Where about are you? I'm in Allerton, if your not too far I'll have a look at it for you, not that I'm an expert of course :)

bluebells

Post by bluebells »

Croxteth

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

If thats the wording of it all appeal, it will the testers last test for a while.

Item 13 is not a fail no ifs buts or maybe's

Items 4-5, 17-20 the t25 does not have a seperate chassis and body, only fails if within 30cm of suspension or seatbelt mounts.

Item 21 Not a fail no ifs buts or maybe's its not within 30cm of seatbelt/suspension/brake mountings, it should of only been an advise.

Item 6 how can it have excessive free play detected at steering wheel and put down to offside steering but component not identified.

Item 7 It can never be dangerous, it can not come off.

It looks like you got a tester from hell, yes i agree sounds like it needs work but if he/she has got that much wrong what safety items have they missed?

bluebells

Post by bluebells »

andysimpson wrote:If thats the wording of it all appeal, it will the testers last test for a while.

Item 13 is not a fail no ifs buts or maybe's

Items 4-5, 17-20 the t25 does not have a seperate chassis and body, only fails if within 30cm of suspension or seatbelt mounts.

Item 21 Not a fail no ifs buts or maybe's its not within 30cm of seatbelt/suspension/brake mountings, it should of only been an advise.

Item 6 how can it have excessive free play detected at steering wheel and put down to offside steering but component not identified.

Item 7 It can never be dangerous, it can not come off.

It looks like you got a tester from hell, yes i agree sounds like it needs work but if he/she has got that much wrong what safety items have they missed?

Thank you for that post - you've put a bit of hope back into my life! :D

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

before i had seen your post andy i was gonna put the same as you the bloke must have brill eyes to see where the chassis ends and the vehicle body shell stars!!!!!!!!!!! Thinking about it none of the red areas are within 30cm of any seat belt mount or suspension item, but thats only going by whats been put, If he was any sort of MoT tester he would have stopped the test and refused to test it in present condition??
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

SteveW
80-90 Mem No: 2760

Post by SteveW »

So If I go up and do all the mechanical bits do you think we should be Ok to get a retest?

The bit about the antiroll bar mounting gets me. I changed a broken drop link and while I had the bar off I used new bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts. Exactly as I took off. This bloke says that nylocs should be used. So VW are wrong then? Perhaps I should have used the rusty originals?
Never enough time