Pop top roof hinge

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

vanhatter
80-90 Mem No: 14419

Pop top roof hinge

Post by vanhatter »

Hi all,

So this weekends camping trip revealed / resulted in the rear hinge being separated from the roof! We were still able to get the roof down and latched for the drive home, but I'm just wondering what's best to do in terms of not only getting the old bolts out, but also the kind of bolts I should replace them with, and if there's something I can do about the cracks that are around the holes (or if they're nothing much to worry about in the grand scheme of things - there are other body work worries (think rust, small holes etc) and we're prioritising funds / time!).

DSCF7060 x.jpg

DSCF7063 x.jpg

Looks like there's some adhesive residue left as well - is it normal to use this as well as bolts?

Side note - I'm also going to take this opportunity to replace the seals you see hanging off. The one between the bodywork and canvas is falling off as well! Thinking that's a roof-off jobby...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts! :ok
A
1983 DG Petrol 1.9 Pop Top

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Pop top roof hinge

Post by Plasticman »

might in the short term be easiest to drill out the othe rivits on the roof part and move the hinge an inch or so back and redrill in between the current ones, the sealnt was probably to stop water getting in as they hadnt used waterproof rivets, still not a bad thing to use though
mm

vanhatter
80-90 Mem No: 14419

Post by vanhatter »

Thanks MM - seems like it's not the end of the world and I shouldn't bodge it up too much!

Also thanks to hakuna matata, I now stand corrected about the "2nd seal" :oops:

Cheers
:ok
1983 DG Petrol 1.9 Pop Top

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

and now looking at it on the big screen.... maybe move itin front or behinnd the original as it does look a bit crusty
mm