Interior out to weld new sill?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

HT
80-90 Mem No: 4630

Interior out to weld new sill?

Post by HT »

Hi, its coming up to MOT time and I know the outer sill at least is completely rotten, so I was wondering whether I would have to remove the interior for somebody to weld a new sill or does it depend how high they have to weld up to? I can add some pics if that would help?

Thanks
Harry

bunnynogood
80-90 Mem No: 5189

Re: Interior out to weld new sill?

Post by bunnynogood »

I would say interior out. When I had mine done some while back it was only when the interior was out that the total extent of the work needed was visible. That and removing any risk that the welding will set fire to things furniture shaped ! I also then got to properly rust protect and paint the repairs from inside. Vans rot inside out not just outside in. Its a ball ache but in my case at least very worthwhile. I also got a big and very useful insight into how the interior all goes together and made a few mods so it will be much quicker next time. Just photograph and document every nut bolt and panel as you go. Good luck with it.

Dave V
Only old Fools left in this van overnight

\/
( *)
`'

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

definitely take out the cupboards near the sill I recently replaced my sill,which I removed everything I could, with welding and grinding sparks don't risk it also there may be some sort of insulation material there as well.

HT

Post by HT »

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm going to take the van to the tester to get a pre-mot check over to see if he thinks it'll fail on the sill. If not I'll get it through the MOT and then start prepping the van for some proper rust treatment/new panels. The time has come where I need to stop putting it off and start digging about to see what I find.

Cheers
Harry

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

do a picky of the sill .outside will be fine if you csant get under. soon tell you how far its gone
mm :D

HT

Post by HT »

Thank you, here are some pics. notice the liberal application of vactan after i scraped the paint off the other day. As you can see I haven't yet picked apart the bubbly bits, I'll save that fun for after the MOT if it makes it through. The big bubbly bits on the seams, do you think that'll definitely be a welding job rather than scrape, treat and paint?

HT

Post by HT »

Also, some more info that may help is that after reading about this I crawled underneath and the inner sill looks ok, which is odd because the very bottom part of the outer sill was pretty much disintegrated. Also, I had the panel off a while ago inside and I looked for rust and couldn't see anything at all from inside the van. There has never been a fridge so I am guessing the damage has been done from the outside rather than rotting from the inside-out.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Well let the tester decide, end of the day the outer ans closure is shot, its been repaired before anyway,fridge has little to do with the rot ,its there from leaving the factory ainly toys from inside out wqith help from poor repairs etc over the years
mm

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

General condensation and even a seeping leak from sliding window (biggest cause in my experience) will rot them out there. Takes part of the floor away too which is why interior has to come out. Pics of typical rot in this area:

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ar ... outer_sill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

partway down this page is another way of doing it,will also show what can lurk :lol:
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=100930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hehe
mm

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Lurk is the word. I modified the drain holes underneath slightly, turning the lip with stilsons so no water could acually sit inside the inner sill. As you know, I didn't put a piece back between panel and floor (I will eventually) to make sure area remains trouble-free. All too often owners keep skimming outside with filler, oblivious to the horrors behind. That is why cutting it all away and doing the job properly is the only way to solve the festering rust on the outside - its always much worse on the inside. You can either replicate the original panel structure as shown by Metalmick8y or fit a complete panel, although its hard to find well made ones. They all need some degree of fettling unless you make your own.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.