Welding - how hard is it to get decent results?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Welding - how hard is it to get decent results?

Post by T25Convert »

Afternoon,

The van is starting to look a bit ratty and now the engine rebuild is complete I reckon its time to get the standard bits sorted, namely the cab steps, the rear quarter (nearside) where it meets the suspension mount and the cill under the fridge.

Now I like to do everything myself on all my vehicles, but have never welded. Been offered a decent MIG on a loan basis, so am tempted to have a go, starting with the step (where I can do least damage!) and then quarter and cill on the basis I'll get better!

So any novices that have had a go and managed to get decent results? Or is this one I should leave to the pro's (I suspect it might be!)

Cheers,

Alex
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Re: Welding - how hard is it to get decent results?

Post by AdrianC »

If you've been offered a loan, great. Get hold of a couple of old panels - don't have to be T25 or even VW - and have a practice.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will tell you everything you need to know.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

If you don't do it on a regular basis, it's a bit like bathroom tiling. - You start to get the hang of it as the last few tiles go on!
So, like has been said above ^^^, get some old gash pieces of body panel or whatever you plan to be welding, and practice, practice, practice.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

hi welding is quite easy with practice its the prep and fabrication needed before welding that's more difficult.best off practice on old panels or scrap metal first till your confident.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

just as said above posts really
mig welding is quite easy, good migging takes lots of practice, get panals from the scrappy and look at how stuff is joine on here ,thee are many different ways, the skill comes in knoowing the best way to tackle each problem , but please dont be tempted to weld your van till you are 100% happy that your work on scrap stuff is good
and post up some picks of what your doing with the scrap, why and how, this will show your train of thought, then shjow the welds, nobody is here to pick fault but we can point out what you are or are noot doing right and so help you get there,
mm

Verne
80-90 Mem No: 13453

Post by Verne »

Anyone can put 2 pieces of steel together and 'weld' them, whether they stay 'welded' together is another thing.

The art is getting the settings and technique right so you have the right penetration without melting the panels.

As said, practice on scrap pieces and when you think you have the hang of it, practice some more :ok
Verne

KEIF - '87 1.9DG T25 Tin-Top Camper
LILIBUG - '67 1200 Beetle resto project

zedd
80-90 Mem No: 12877

Post by zedd »

as above . once you have your welder settings correct start practising the more you do the better you should get :D

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Post by baj25 »

Matbe not so important if you are borrowing a mig set, but if you have your own, making a note of settings saves a lot of faff (+gas + wire) when you come to do next job. That welding forum is nearly as helpful as this one. To save distortion do short runs and let it cool, that really takes some will power when you want to get stuck in. The welding is maybe 2% of the job, prep and flatting back takes a lot more time. And finally, have a firewatcher and extinguisher handy. HTH, Bri

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

Cheers all, will pick up the MIG and return home via the scrappy for some bits of panels!

Have some decorating to complete first ( :x ) but will start having a go soon and posting the results for assistance!

Cheers,

Alex
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle