Rear bumper problems

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

camper'89
80-90 Mem No: 0

Rear bumper problems

Post by camper'89 »

Hello All,

This is my first post, asking for help, but I've learned a lot by reading many of the topics and am grateful to all of the contributors.
I hope someone can set me on the right road to dealing with my problem rear bumper.
I have an '89 Transporter, Holdsworth conversion. It's mostly sound but the brackets holding the rear bumper side extensions are corroded away. I only became aware of this because it causes rubbing of the paintwork at the wheel arch through to metal, which then rusts. I've put rubber spacers in for the time being to try to cut down the rubbing until I manage to fix this.
1.jpg
I've tried to source replacement brackets but had difficulty identifying the correct ones. One supplier described the van as a T2 (I thought T25 or T3) and told me that the brackets were obsolete from 2012 or earlier, depending on the type of bumper. Most other bumpers I have seen look to be different. The closest I've seen to what I have is described here http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=132631" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; although not sure if it's the same.

The photos show how badly corroded the brackets are on my van and there doesn't seem to be any attachment between side extensions and the body.

Can anyone suggest where to source parts or how to deal with the problem? I am truly stumped! :(
(To make matters worse, I was trying to remove the rear bumper to do some painting, removed one stud okay but sheared the other because using socket extension to go through the towing eye and was clumsy with it. So that's another problem I have to deal with. Should have been more careful but rushed things. :oops: )
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

faggie

Re: Rear bumper problems

Post by faggie »

the brackets can be easily made if they are no longer available if you can t find any I may have some for sale

gtavalanche
80-90 Mem No: 9412

Post by gtavalanche »

Brickwerks also sell them in stainless!
1985 Caravelle GTi AGG

camper'89

Post by camper'89 »

Many thanks for your replies, faggie and gtavalanche. I am now better clued up about what I need. Your help has led me to find a very useful thread which I’d not seen. It may also be of use to others

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... ig+bumpers+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the hint of checking Brickwerks, gtavalanche. I think the correct brackets for the lower side bumper are these ones (in stock).
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/l ... -rear.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The upper brackets I think are theses - nice, shiny stainless steel, as you say! (Not in stock.)
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/b ... l?___SID=U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, faggie, If I am unable to source them, I may take you up on your offer.

Will update this post to let all know how I get on.

Thanks again,
John

camper'89

Post by camper'89 »

Will be away until Friday so unable to follow up at the moment. Faggie, do you have these brackets for sale?
Rear bumper upper bracket.jpg

gtavalanche
80-90 Mem No: 9412

Post by gtavalanche »

I have one of those brackets. Say a fiver plus post?
1985 Caravelle GTi AGG

camper'89

Post by camper'89 »

Thanks, gtavalanche, that's great. Will pm you.

I need two.
Does anyone have another bracket?