Re-fitting skylight advice please

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Shotage
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re-fitting skylight advice please

Post by Shotage »

Hi.

I have a leaky roof that the previous owner had attempted to seal with layer upon layer of sealant. I have taken the skylight off and have cleaned and sanded down all of that messy sealant.

I noticed some of the x20 screws (silver self tappers) that hold the skylight to the roof have outstayed their welcome and are not actually binding. This leads me to believe that maybe some water is actually coming in here too.

Is it correct that these are self tappers and just screw in to the outer fiberglass?

My route is to clean both the skylight and roof of sealant and re-apply with caravan mastic and slightly larger screws.

I'm I doing this right?

Thanks,
Andy
1988 VW T25 Auto Sleeper
1.9 petrol / watercooled

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Re-fitting skylight advice please

Post by clift_d »

Not sure what kind of skylight you have on your van but on the Westy skylights the screws are fitted from inside behind the waterproof line and only hold the fibreglass in position - it's the mastic that makes the seal to the roof.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Shotage
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Shotage »

Ha, well that sounds like a better design than mine!

Hopefully bigger screws and mastic in the the holes will be a good enough to stop water getting through.
1988 VW T25 Auto Sleeper
1.9 petrol / watercooled

baj25
80-90 Mem No: 12953

Post by baj25 »

Last one I did had timber battens under the fibreglass for the screws to fix to. I would use sikaflex on it, not silicone, adhesive properties are amazing. HTH, Bri

Mouseyt25
80-90 Mem No: 13700

Post by Mouseyt25 »

My mate who owns a body shop refit mine after the seal had just perished until there was nothing left he used tiger seal and all seems to be fine
1988 t25 hightop 1.6TD now has 1.9aaz after dropping a valve through a piston

ibsey
80-90 Mem No: 11275

Post by ibsey »

clift_d wrote:Not sure what kind of skylight you have on your van but on the Westy skylights the screws are fitted from inside behind the waterproof line and only hold the fibreglass in position - it's the mastic that makes the seal to the roof.

Hi clift_d, I have the same van as you and I need to replace one of my roof vents as the plastic spiral mecanism has broken. I have seen a Fiamma one 40cm square. Have you or do you know if this is the correct replacement. Do you know how easy it is to do? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Ibsey
There are always other possibilities