Foam lining for the Rear Flap

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bamboo
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Foam lining for the Rear Flap

Post by bamboo »

Thank you for the pictures showing the part and its number. I see vwheritage call it a seal, so that must be its purpose. With that in mind, and to align my crafting with your picture, I've repaced some of the small bit of foam I had cut out by the catch so the seal is complete all round the aperture. Hey ho :roll:
I'll try and take some close up pictures over the next few weeks, and post them here under a seperate thread.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Personally, I think your seal will out-last the VW one. :D

As I've said many times, VW didn't get everything right by any means, plus modern materials often tend to be better than what was used in the 80s. The foam they used tended to turn to dust.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

bamboo
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by bamboo »

CovKid wrote:Personally, I think your seal will out-last the VW one.
Well, the test has now started. The neoprene sheet is more dense than the VW seal so the thickness for the right amount of give is quite critical. I'm happy with my improvised seal, but if next time I was placing an order for parts, I would probably include the VW seal on my list because of the lazy in me.