Advice request - drilling the body!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

LeeME3
80-90 Mem No: 11225

Advice request - drilling the body!

Post by LeeME3 »

Right there's no way round it I'm going to have to drill a fair number of holes to fit the Westy pop top ( currently a Tintop). Obviously most will end up covered by the pop top itself but there's no escaping the fact that damp, condensation, rain and so on will find every last hole and start the damage. So, what's the best thing to do after drilling and before and after fitting the fixings? Originally I figured vactan but that seems to be more a rust converter than corrosion preventer...

All advice gratefully received and if course I'll photo document the fitting - whether that then becomes a "how to" guide or a "how not to" remains to be seen!
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

The Bishop
80-90 Mem No: 10021

Re: Advice request - drilling the body!

Post by The Bishop »

After drilling can't you paint the holes. And then after fitting the top either paint or spray wax over them?
1986 1.9 Petrol/LPG with Devon pop up.

wigglyjohn
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by wigglyjohn »

Hi Lee, I'm relatively new to the VW world but I saw your post and thought what would I do? Anyway a couple of possible ideas for you. 1) Could you by some rubber washers from the local plumbing supplier and fit them between the top and the roof (maybe a little grease or what used to be called plumbers black mastic?) or 2) maybe run a thin bead of silicon around each hole before you fit the top? Don't know if that's helpful but I would say you can get some sort of sealant. :D

DavidPallister

Post by DavidPallister »

Just 1 point:

Are you trying to fit a genuine Westy pop top to a standard tin top?

I don't think it will fit properly as I believe the Westy had a different roof pressing specifically for the poptop to fit to.

I could be wrong but it may be worth checking before you start cutting and drilling

Dave

LeeME3

Post by LeeME3 »

DavidPallister wrote:Just 1 point:

I don't think it will fit properly as I believe the Westy had a different roof pressing specifically for the poptop to fit to.

I could be wrong but it may be worth checking before you start cutting and drilling

Dave

Thanks all - all research indicates it will fit but I will certainly double check. I'm not averse to a certain amount of re-shaping and filling if necessary though.
1986 1.9DG WBX LPG, 4 spd manual. Westy poptop. Renogy lithium leisure. 175W solar. CR50 fridge. Propex. RX8 seats.

Neil Davies

Post by Neil Davies »

LeeME3 wrote:
DavidPallister wrote:Just 1 point:

Dave

Thanks all - all research indicates it will fit but I will certainly double check. I'm not averse to a certain amount of re-shaping and filling if necessary though.

I believe that although Dave is right in that the roof pressings are different, they're actually the same as a steel sliding sunroof model - the bay window ones certainly are. They simply use the roof pressing with the pre-formed hole in it, add the factory strengtheners to suit but simply don't install the cables, sliders and panel.
As for the original question, I like to use a little bit of red oxide or zinc primer around the holes, just spray a bit into an aerosol lid and pop it in with a little paintbrush. Then I can topcoat it as normal.

LeeME3

Post by LeeME3 »

I'm getting confused now! Mine is an ex panel van...the roof ribs that are visible on the upper (ie outer) roof surface match the (German) Westy pop top instructions and have the de-tent in the middle rib that the cut goes down so I'm pretty sure I'm ok...albeit marginally more nervous now!

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

what are you doing for all the inner supports for the bed and lift mechanism etc ? or are you just using it for standing room
mm

DavidPallister

Post by DavidPallister »

From my understanding, the Westy roof pressing had a larger opening with the rear cross brace moved further back along the van (giving a larger stand up area with the bed stowed away), the rear section of roof was flat rather than curved (as the standard roof is) to give a flat surface for the mattress to go, and there was strengthening bars and inserts for the elevating mechanism, canvas and fold out bunk mechanism to attach to

LeeME3

Post by LeeME3 »

Im just doing the 'large sunroof' cut out which will be above the sink and cooker. There will be a bed up there and I have all the original Westy fixings, fittings and bed dotards and cushions...I know about the issue with fitting it in over a curved roof but it's only a 3/4 bed I want to create so will move it up and forward if necessary to get the height.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Ok,but will you please take picks of all the stages however small they may seem and if you haven't the time to post up another will for you as its good to have the options documented for others to follow
mm

LeeME3

Post by LeeME3 »

metalmick8y wrote:Ok,but will you please take picks of all the stages however small they may seem and if you haven't the time to post up another will for you as its good to have the options documented for others to follow
mm

Certainly. I just hope it ends up as a 'how to' rather than a 'how not to'!

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

should be fine with what you have in mind
mm

LeeME3

Post by LeeME3 »

I admire your confidence in me!

To be honest having now collected the top I'm much reassured. As it is fully assembled I think I'll be able to lift it in place and mark directly onto the roof for the mounting and fixing points. I am tempted to leave cutting the access hole until the roof is mounted as that way I can be sure of getting it to line up perfectly with the canvas. That also means if it takes longer than anticipated the van is potentially useable further into the process. I imagine I'll use up more time than anticipated in removing internal fittings (eg headlining and high mounted cupboards) to access the inner side of the fixings.

As for the upper bed...I definitely want to put it in as I have the proper Westie boards and cushions but there seems to be a lot of different versions out there some of which require a flat rear roof or bigger hole (neither of which I wish to do). I am confident though that once the roof is securely fixed I'll be able to come up with a suitable solution. In fact I'm looking forward to that part! The upper bed needs to be big enough for 2 kids and if when in place I lose some of the headroom that's not a major issue for me. Fun project!

I'm not going to make the first cut until after the next show I'm going to (DubDayz) at which I will be pestering everyone with a T25 popper for a good poke around their van! Plagiarism is better than getting it wrong.

LeeME3

Post by LeeME3 »

For them what's interested...I thinks it a late California roof as it has the aerodynamic style over cab section as opposed to the storage rack. Think this was designed to have a sunroof in it which might be tempting in due course...