Rot around the jacking point and many other places. How bad?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

conrad
80-90 Mem No: 5785

Rot around the jacking point and many other places. How bad?

Post by conrad »

Hey

After a long time apart (4 years -long story involving court cases and a contract breaching b@5t@rd claiming to be a reputable vehicle transporter)I've been reunited with my van.

So I set about starting to do all the jobs I'd been meaning to do before it was put into storage. 1st on the list was to replace the flywheel oil seal. This was going quite well until I noticed some rust bubbling about the drivers side rear jacking point. Took a wire brush to it and my heart sank. :cry:

Am I going to have to get this cut out and replaced or is it something I can get patched up to get me back on the road for a bit? I'd hoped to get the van driving for a few trips away before the winter starts when I plan to strip it down and get the rest of the rot cut out (there is quite a bit unfortunately).

Maybe this is a sign that I should give up on the notion of camping for a 4th year :evil: and start gutting the van now then find someone to do some cutting and welding?

Many thanks. :)
Last edited by conrad on 24 Jun 2014, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
I only tinker so I may be talkin complete balls :wink:

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Re: Rot around the jacking point. It it bad?

Post by jamesc76 »

that to me would fail mot so needs welding!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

stick it on the ferry to hull :lol:
if rest of the van is good to go then you can prob do a temp welding repair but the area above the jp etc will be rotten as they come
mm

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

Where was it in storage? the beach? Looks quite rusty in general mores the pity.

sciroccotune
80-90 Mem No: 7521

Post by sciroccotune »

conrad wrote:Hey

After a long time apart (4 years -long story involving court cases and a contract breaching b@5t@rd claiming to be a reputable vehicle transporter)I've been reunited with my van.

So I set about starting to do all the jobs I'd been meaning to do before it was put into storage. 1st on the list was to replace the flywheel oil seal. This was going quite well until I noticed some rust bubbling about the drivers side rear jacking point. Took a wire brush to it and my heart sank. :cry:

Am I going to have to get this cut out and replaced or is it something I can get patched up to get me back on the road for a bit? I'd hoped to get the van driving for a few trips away before the winter starts when I plan to strip it down and get the rest of the rot cut out (there is quite a bit unfortunately).

Maybe this is a sign that I should give up on the notion of camping for a 4th year :evil: and start gutting the van now then find someone to do some cutting and welding?

Many thanks. :)

Come on then I need to know the story?

conrad

Post by conrad »

Thanks for the replies. :D

It was stored indoors for 2.5 years and outside for almost a year over a really nasty winter. Got taken out in Aug 2012 and was to be collected by someone who turned out to be a complete moron. It sat there (or so I thought at the time) until Nov 2012 thanks to the morons long list of excuses. He then collected my car and I thought he'd collected my van too, at least that was the impression he gave me. Found out 3 months later when I got a bill for storing the van from the storage place in Belfast :evil: that he'd left the van behind for some reason. At this point I got very angry, more with myself for allowing it to go on for so long.

So he got taken to small claims court and I arranged a new carrier. I won my case but of course haven't received a penny. He still has my car and is refusing to return it. Had someone attempt to collect it, police had to be called but the police hadn't a clue what to do so said it was a civil matter - which it's not!

So what should have been a simple collect and deliver has cost me a fortune in solicitors fees, transport costs to get the van delivered to NL and the deposit I paid him. It also looks like I've lost my car too, it's Saab 9000 Aero - wanted one for many years and had drooled over one in particular many years ago gleaming outside my local Saab dealer. Ended up buying it 7 years later. Was a beast of a car, remapped and in mint condition. I'd just put a reconditioned engine in it too. I'd also left almost all my tools and garage equipment in there so I presume thats all been looted.

It could have been worse I suppose, he could have taken the van instead. Given the choice I'd rather lose the car than the van.

I took a series of photos to Volksrepairs who are based close to me in Berkel en Rodenrijs, Netherlands. The chap said it was one of the worst vans for rust he'd seen in a while. :cry: He reckons there's a fair bit of work in it so I think the time for patching it up has past. Time to decide, do I scrap the shell and fit the interior to a new van or do I keep it alive and sink god knows how much time and money into it. I'll post some photos shortly and you can see what he's talking about.

I think I may be jinxed...

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

If I were you I'd get it to mm. At least you'll know its in good condition when you get it back.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

aye, i could make it like new but ive no time for painting stuff just welding :D
mm

conrad

Re: Rot around the jacking point and many other places. How bad?

Post by conrad »

And heres the rest of the rot. :shock: :cry:

This arch is about 90% filler

This arch is also about 90% filler

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

ahh, well there are folk out there that would do some kind of job on it but to do right would be more than the van would ever be worth,not that that is the sole criteria,but i for one would not take it on and take money of you as it would be unfair, not to say it cant be done just that it would be better to spend the hard earned another way,
sorry if that sounds harsh but im trying to be realistic for you
mm

conrad

Post by conrad »

Damn. I was hoping that Volksrepairs were exaggerating slightly. :shock: Thanks for the honest opinion though. :wink:

What bits cause you most concern? Presumably the roof over the sliding door and the bit on the top corner of the windscreen?

When you say it's beyond economic repair are you calculating this based on full repair costs? I'm planning on doing pretty much everything myself except for the welding and painting. I can't weld but I'm considering taking a course shortly, just need to find one in English not Dutch. I'm taking a break from work for the next year so I have plenty of time to do stuff.

We are kinda attached to this van and would hate to have to say goodbye especially after the nightmare we had getting it over here.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

cost of repair including everything, is more than the worth (material)

I've seen worse, you will be able to give it ten more years at least.
Finding rust free cut sections is your goal now.
...unless you want to hang after market tin foil on :roll:
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

conrad

Post by conrad »

Material value v emotional value? Emotion wins I think - especially if I get 10 years out of it. Besides, I don't have the cash at hand to replace it. :lol:

So if what I think is correct, I'll need rust free cuts for....

The roof section above sliding door?

The bit to the top right of the windscreen?

I was planning on using the aftermarket panels on the other places, quality panels if they exist. :wink:

How am I doing so far? :lol:

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

No quality panels exist.
If you hanging aftermarket tin foil on then it must be done right...or you'll be doing it again a lot sooner than ten years

Personally I would use VW metal everywhere.
If you can get to Busfest they break vans at the show.
On here his user name is Billy 739
He will gas axe out whatever you need.
I think you'll find it cheaper that way too.
Then any reputable resoration will un-pick the panel from the section and clean it up before fitting.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Problem is kev ,th op can't weld/ fab so finding ones who can and will at a price affordable is the issue ,thhey can all be done of really needed,