THE Postvagon (screen leak)

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

THE Postvagon (screen leak)

Post by Plasticman »

Well lloyds is being attended to and i get bored and its nice to do a few smaller jobs so this is a van i sorted for Tom last year, sparky Ray assisted with the viewing etc, now apart from a leak on the inj pump (JX) it is a daily drive and has never failed to work :ok
but footwell were getting a bit moist
nice van
and
there was also tell tale rust and streaksd on the inside but....
easy way to remove the screen, take craft knife and insert like so
cut about a foot then pull away and cut the seal and pull down, you may need a bit of help as you go along with the knife, just leave a foot at ther top and bottom then gently free of the screen from the seal on both sides,( it wont fall out cos you left a bit. then cut the top away and free this up , then its a simple one man/lady job to lift it away and off.
fancy
and
cover everything
, and as im not migging any of it no need for heavy card etc as the gas sparks arent as hot
lots of precise cuttings,note the rotted screws securing the wiper box :lol:
new inner made with oval holes to take the new SS screws, ,a note here i didnt have any short screws left so i have cut these down as one of them would foul the mechanism if left long , i forget which aslo its my pet hate when i see lazy untidy work with long screws and bolts and too idle to shorted them, added to the fact that if ms then you end up with loads of rusted thread the next time you need to remove it.
ive done neater welding but i had to be quick as i didnt want to have to completely remove the dash as lots of cables in there and the pillars
no filler which is why its very important to get the profile exact
product applied
other side had an issue with the corner inner closure, well it was missing :rofl
made it in 2 parts and brazed certain areas as less heat to the pillar wires and i wanted to save the paintwork :D
product
screen back in tomoz and away
oh and loads of silicone up top on both sides, this is part of what caused the leak as it really isn't helpful to have something that restricts the ability of the seal to form in its recces for want oif a better word.........
next :lol:
mm

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: THE Postvagon (screen leak)

Post by CovKid »

You're dead right. I used a roofing sealant on mine (and only under the outside rubber at that) as it always stays slightly soft and closes any voids. Why people think aquatic sealant will work I have no idea. Its fine on say glass to glass but its totally unsuited to curing windscreen leaks.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Re: THE Postvagon (screen leak)

Post by Cableguy »

Good to hear Tom's van is doing well. The mats were soaked when we looked at it, luckily this is a job he knew was coming :lol: