Just found a hole in my floor!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Just found a hole in my floor!

Post by richlaz »

Poking about in the van, lifted the rubber flooring up on the drivers side footwell, and uncovered a nice rusty hole in my floor (can see the steel water pipes from the inside!

The immediate area, approx 6 inch square, looks as if its caving in and feels soft/rotten (passenger side is ok?)

Also, the square bits (I think it's just where the under-side of the rubber matting has dug into the floor over the many years) are peeling off causing the floor to be even thinner... and weaker

I have no real experience of bodywork repair or welding, so would be looking to get this sorted by somebody

Does anyone know if this will be a difficult/expensive task?

The MOT is due in a couple of months too. Although I need to get this sorted rather quickly, is this classed as "structural" and likely to cause MOT failure?

Many thanks for any advice - pics below

1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker

scunnerd25
80-90 Mem No: 17639

Re: Just found a hole in my floor!

Post by scunnerd25 »

Learn to weld

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

Really unhelpful reply there...nice one :roll:

It's quite an easy repair for anyone with some welding ability...it doesn't need to look perfect so that will help..it isn't really stuctural as such but it may fall within 12" of the rack mounting, the bracket pedal, or the seat mounting possibly so would fail an MOT if it was spotted from underneath...it's a maybe but still needs fixing up...a decent local garage that does welding should be able to sort that for about £50 I would hope.

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

and fix the os screen corner cos i can see where the water has been running down/in
mm :wink:

scunnerd25
80-90 Mem No: 17639

Post by scunnerd25 »

Well don't learn to weld and pay hundreds of pound on welding that you will need to do over the years

Ralf85
80-90 Mem No: 4418
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Post by Ralf85 »

The guy who isn't a club member is really unhelpful - get lost!
In the user control panel you need to fill in your details regarding the town you live in and your engine and van type like I have. This will assist local members to advise you where to get the work done or possibly offer to help by welding it for you. Good luck mate!
:ok

richlaz

Post by richlaz »

Cheers for the info guys :ok

metalmick8y wrote:and fix the os screen corner cos i can see where the water has been running down/in
mm :wink:

I have noticed a couple of drips coming in the passenger side every now and then, on top of the rubber mat, but luckily that side of the floor is still solid (at the moment!)

The drivers side (this side with the hole), must have been dripping behind the rubber mat so was hidden :(

Will have to get a new windscreen seal. Not looking forward to seeing how rusty the lip is around the edge of the windscreen once the seal it out lol - can almsot guarantee it'll be more welding required :(

E D I T: Cheers Ralf, location now updated and van details in sig :)

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

Yep the floor is a minor irritation,the screen surround more pressing,the chap that suggested learn to weld,whilst a bit curt is I suppose correct bit how many folk have the skill to do the job correctly,there is welding and welding,and it can be more cost effective to ship out,just my take on it

mm

richlaz

Post by richlaz »

I could probably have a go at the floor, it is flat and easily accessible, but as you say, it would be nowhere near as good as a professional welder could do (and the windscreen lip repair would be extremely hard for a beginner)

Not only that, I work over 65hrs some weeks, study approx 16 hours a week, family time on top etc... it's not quite as simple as "learn to weld" :lol:

JimmyT25
80-90 Mem No: 14160

Post by JimmyT25 »

As metalmick8y said really, the cause of your problem is almost certainly a hole/rusty area under the windscreen rubber, I know I've just done one myself with a very similar rusty floor, have a look at my thread which has photos of the problem and how it was sorted, it's something like 'bodywork and painting, ongoing thread' hope this helps

Jimmy

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

indeed, look here
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=131607" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doesnt look bad to start with but....................................
all you need is a hole or two :lol:
mm

richlaz

Post by richlaz »

That's what I'm afraid of!

I'll take the old window out... start crying at all the rust, then drive (without a window) to the garage to get it welded :(